• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy to Carrier Op

wowowowowow

I've searched for days on forums but I can't seem to find how you would go from the academy to flying off carriers, it as simple as taking the ASTB and if you score well you get a pilot slot and start training, or is the process more complicated. I'm currently a freshman in hs and have wanted to be a fighter pilot my whole life and am currently working towards that dream, doing everything in my power to become a fighter pilot so all inputs are appreciated. Also, I know the navy currently has a lac of fighter pilots and I was wondering if that helps my chances of getting into the academy and/or getting a slot as a fighter pilot.

johnboyA6E

None
i assume you're talking about the Naval Academy? and how do you become a pilot after commissioning (graduating)?

first, work on your search skills. that falls under "doing everything in your power" to reach your goal. you are a freshman, so you get a pass, but you need to display a little more initiative

if you haven't looked yet, i recommend you go to USNA.edu and read all about the admissions process, and what happens afterwards. saying you want to be a fighter pilot isn't going to increase your chances of acceptance.
basically, the very large majority of USNA grads go into one of four areas: Surface Warfare, Submarines, Aviation (NFO and Pilot), and Marine Corps (there are many diff jobs you could get in the Marines, including Pilot). there are a small number of grads who will go to other Unrestricted Line jobs SEALS, EOD, or Restricted Line jobs like Intel, Information Warfare and even medical school. when you are a senior, you submit your preferences, 1st through 5th choice then you get what you get.

the statistics over the past few years are that the large majority of grads are selected to go to their first choice, and almost all get first or second choice, but there are always exception. to be qualified to select Pilot, you need to get qualifying scores on the ASTB, meet all the physical requirements (anthropomorphic and medical) for flight training and of course graduate and commission. it doesn't matter what you major is. each year there are around 240ish USNA grads who select pilot out of around 1000 graduates.

you are a HS freshman, so this is the right time to start thinking about all of this. but, first things first, you need to cross a lot of hurdles just to get an appointment to USNA. After that, there are another thousand hurdles to get over, before you get through primary flight training and get selected for jets. you need to go into this with a primary goal of becoming a Naval Officer first. then, a Navy Pilot (helo's, props, jets, or even drones), and lastly a carrier based jet pilot. you need to be sure that this is what you want even if you don't get your first or second or third choice.

there is an endless amount of info on this site and others, concerning how to get an appointment to USNA and how to get into flight training . you should also be looking into NROTC. there are multiple paths to get to Navy flight school.

for the next 3 years, your focus should be on becoming the best candidate for USNA or NROTC you can possibly be.

best of luck

robav8r

None
Contributor
Right now, like TODAY, do EVERYTHING in your power to get the best possible grades, in the most difficult subjects. Do well in sports and volunteer your time to make your school, and community a better place. The landscape for fighter pilots in the Navy will change significantly between now, and the time you are in a position to earn a commission either through Annapolis, or other, ROTC/OCS programs. Control what you can control - study hard, stay physically fit, stay out of trouble . . .

wowowowowow

i assume you're talking about the Naval Academy? and how do you become a pilot after commissioning (graduating)?

first, work on your search skills. that falls under "doing everything in your power" to reach your goal. you are a freshman, so you get a pass, but you need to display a little more initiative

if you haven't looked yet, i recommend you go to USNA.edu and read all about the admissions process, and what happens afterwards. saying you want to be a fighter pilot isn't going to increase your chances of acceptance.
basically, the very large majority of USNA grads go into one of four areas: Surface Warfare, Submarines, Aviation (NFO and Pilot), and Marine Corps (there are many diff jobs you could get in the Marines, including Pilot). there are a small number of grads who will go to other Unrestricted Line jobs SEALS, EOD, or Restricted Line jobs like Intel, Information Warfare and even medical school. when you are a senior, you submit your preferences, 1st through 5th choice then you get what you get.

the statistics over the past few years are that the large majority of grads are selected to go to their first choice, and almost all get first or second choice, but there are always exception. to be qualified to select Pilot, you need to get qualifying scores on the ASTB, meet all the physical requirements (anthropomorphic and medical) for flight training and of course graduate and commission. it doesn't matter what you major is. each year there are around 240ish USNA grads who select pilot out of around 1000 graduates.

you are a HS freshman, so this is the right time to start thinking about all of this. but, first things first, you need to cross a lot of hurdles just to get an appointment to USNA. After that, there are another thousand hurdles to get over, before you get through primary flight training and get selected for jets. you need to go into this with a primary goal of becoming a Naval Officer first. then, a Navy Pilot (helo's, props, jets, or even drones), and lastly a carrier based jet pilot. you need to be sure that this is what you want even if you don't get your first or second or third choice.

there is an endless amount of info on this site and others, concerning how to get an appointment to USNA and how to get into flight training . you should also be looking into NROTC. there are multiple paths to get to Navy flight school.

for the next 3 years, your focus should be on becoming the best candidate for USNA or NROTC you can possibly be.

best of luck

yes, I was referring to the naval academy and becoming a pilot after commissioning. Thank you for your advice I greatly appreciate it and I have read the admissions page on usna.edu and am planning on attending the summer seminar my jr year. I probably won't be able to get an appointment because I can't afford to go to Annapolis. Thank you so much for your advice.

exNavyOffRec

I've searched for days on forums but I can't seem to find how you would go from the academy to flying off carriers, it as simple as taking the ASTB and if you score well you get a pilot slot and start training, or is the process more complicated. I'm currently a freshman in hs and have wanted to be a fighter pilot my whole life and am currently working towards that dream, doing everything in my power to become a fighter pilot so all inputs are appreciated. Also, I know the navy currently has a lac of fighter pilots and I was wondering if that helps my chances of getting into the academy and/or getting a slot as a fighter pilot.
On the lack of pilots that is for retention not accession, there are plenty of people competing to be pilots

wowowowowow

Right now, like TODAY, do EVERYTHING in your power to get the best possible grades, in the most difficult subjects. Do well in sports and volunteer your time to make your school, and community a better place. The landscape for fighter pilots in the Navy will change significantly between now, and the time you are in a position to earn a commission either through Annapolis, or other, ROTC/OCS programs. Control what you can control - study hard, stay physically fit, stay out of trouble . . .
thank you I am currently in honors history with an a and an a in all my other classes, along with that I also am a competitive age-group swimmer and I am not the best but am closer to that than I am to being the worst by a long shot. thank you so much for your advice it helps so much.

johnboyA6E

None
I probably won't be able to get an appointment because I can't afford to go to Annapolis.
not sure what you mean by this. if you've been researching USNA then you surely know that the cost to attend is zero.

not just tuition, or tuition and room & board, but everything (including toothpaste and underwear) is provided for you when you get there.

wowowowowow

I'm probably not going to be able to reply to everybody but still thanks for the advice. I know it helps me and hopefully it helps others looking for the same advice.

wowowowowow

not sure what you mean by this. if you've been researching USNA then you surely know that the cost to attend is zero.

not just tuition, or tuition and room & board, but everything (including toothpaste and underwear) is provided for you when you get there.
I didn't mean attending/ tuition when I was talking about being able to afford to go to Annapolis. what I meant was like summer seminars. and yes I'm looking forward to applying to a summer seminar I meant the summer seminar at USAFA because I can afford to travel there and everything I read has said attend a summer seminar even if its not at the academy you want.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I didn't mean attending/ tuition when I was talking about being able to afford to go to Annapolis. what I meant was like summer seminars. and yes I'm looking forward to applying to a summer seminar I meant the summer seminar at USAFA because I can afford to travel there and everything I read has said attend a summer seminar even if its not at the academy you want.

The culture at each of the academies is very different. It's like the difference between Duke and UNC Chapel Hill. I'm sure if you reach out to the Naval Academy's Blue & Gold Association and their Blue & Gold recruiters, there is likely a way to get help going to a summer seminar in Annapolis. If you're intent on going to Annapolis, then do everything you can to start focused there.

nick3893

Like others have said, try your best in and out of school! Be involved and well rounded, get good grades, be a good person. But also remember not to overwork yourself in doing so. I know many of my friends worked so hard in high school that they had no free time to enjoy their time there. But many of my other friends that found a happy medium tended to go to better schools (subjectively) anyways. Find a good balance and keep working towards your goals. I recommend searching through serviceacademy forums to get an idea of what the academies are looking for.

wowowowowow

The culture at each of the academies is very different. It's like the difference between Duke and UNC Chapel Hill. I'm sure if you reach out to the Naval Academy's Blue & Gold Association and their Blue & Gold recruiters, there is likely a way to get help going to a summer seminar in Annapolis. If you're intent on going to Annapolis, then do everything you can to start focused there.
ok, will do. thank you

wowowowowow

Like others have said, try your best in and out of school! Be involved and well rounded, get good grades, be a good person. But also remember not to overwork yourself in doing so. I know many of my friends worked so hard in high school that they had no free time to enjoy their time there. But many of my other friends that found a happy medium tended to go to better schools (subjectively) anyways. Find a good balance and keep working towards your goals. I recommend searching through serviceacademy forums to get an idea of what the academies are looking for.
I'm trying to find a good balance between everything, and I actually have a serviceacademy forums tab open rn. thank you