• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy od elsewhere?

Morgan Donnelly

I'm a freshman and still have a lot of time to worry about this but I need opinions.. Is going to The Naval Academy better than going to a normal university or visa versa when working to become a fighter pilot?:eek:

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Hahahahahahaha...Maybe you should learn to proofread before worrying about becoming a fighter pilot. Also, this question has been asked and answered several times on here. The search function is your friend.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm a freshman and still have a lot of time to worry about this but I need opinions.. Is going to The Naval Academy better than going to a normal university or visa versa when working to become a fighter pilot?:eek:
1. Going to either does not guarantee a flight slot.
2. Wherever you go, your final GPA/ASTB scores will be a major factor.
3. A technical degree w/ high GPA/ASTB scores give you an excellent chance.
4. A non-tech degree w/ high GPA/ASTB scores give you a good shot.
5. Participation in sports/clubs/leadership positions/volunteer service all a plus.
6. Staying clean of illegal drugs/arrests - convictions/most visible tattoos a no no.
7. Excellent physical shape/good PFT scores a plus.
8. Pass flight physical and rated (PQ) for flight.
9. Commission via USNA/NROTC/OCS/STA-21... whatever.
* Probably more that I haven't thought of....

All the above just to get in the door for the flight program. During flight training as you approach Advanced, your airmanship grades, along with prevailing needs of the Navy, will be the major determinants in granting you the community of your choice. So obviously, you have many hurdles to jump before you could start in the "Fighter Pilot" (jet) pipeline. Unfortunately, it looks unlikely that the F-35 will yet, if ever, be operational by the time you arrive!:confused:
BzB

Morgan Donnelly

1. Going to either does not guarantee a flight slot.
2. Wherever you go, your final GPA/ASTB scores will be a major factor.
3. A technical degree w/ high GPA/ASTB scores give you an excellent chance.
4. A non-tech degree w/ high GPA/ASTB scores give you a good shot.
5. Participation in sports/clubs/leadership positions/volunteer service all a plus.
6. Staying clean of illegal drugs/arrests - convictions/most visible tattoos a no no.
7. Excellent physical shape/good PFT scores a plus.
8. Pass flight physical and rated (PQ) for flight.
9. Commission via USNA/NROTC/OCS/STA-21... whatever.
* Probably more that I haven't thought of....

All the above just to get in the door for the flight program. During flight training as you approach Advanced, your airmanship grades, along with prevailing needs of the Navy, will be the major determinants in granting you the community of your choice. So obviously, you have many hurdles to jump before you could start in the "Fighter Pilot" (jet) pipeline. Unfortunately, it looks unlikely that the F-35 will yet, if ever, be operational by the time you arrive!:confused:
BzB
thank you so much that's extremely helpful

ReconJos

Female Penguin Emeritus
None
In light of BusyBee's sage advice (and in contrast to Recovering LSO's clearly biased POV ;)) I'd say go to whichever institution will allow you to achieve the goals BusyBee laid out for you.

And use the search function before posting your next "asked and answered 100 times over" question here.