• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy Instructor for 1st Shore Tour

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've seen two NROTC aviation LTs make it past their NROTC tour. One LAT transferred to HR and the other FOS'd, but because he was prior they let him serve one more tour (in recruiting) until he had his 20 and retire.

In recruiting, which is just about the same career-wise for Aviators, I have seen more Pilot get selected for O-4 and is currently on her sea tour.

So your example of aviators proved my point then?

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
NROTC vs USNA might be apples to oranges, but while in NROTC, I never saw an aviation LT go anywhere but out of the Navy.

I've seen two NROTC aviation LTs make it past their NROTC tour. One LAT transferred to HR and the other FOS'd, but because he was prior they let him serve one more tour (in recruiting) until he had his 20 and retire.

I'm assuming you are referring to NFO types who have a MSR of 6 years. Finishing up a first shore tour will put most aviation types past 6 years from winging but not to the 8 years required for pilots. So for the examples you guys mentioned, were the members NFOs who finished their first shore ROTC tour and also past their MSR of 6 years? I'm not sure how or why they got separated, FOSx2, or didn't make it past their ROTC as a first shore tour. Unless you did the graduate degree prior to flight school or some other special situation the timing for your first O-4 look usually wouldn't happen until the end of your first shore tour at the earliest, right?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless you did the graduate degree prior to flight school or some other special situation the timing for your first O-4 look usually wouldn't happen until the end of your first shore tour at the earliest, right?
Your first O-4 look will normally occur during your second sea tour.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm assuming you are referring to NFO types who have a MSR of 6 years. Finishing up a first shore tour will put most aviation types past 6 years from winging but not to the 8 years required for pilots. So for the examples you guys mentioned, were the members NFOs who finished their first shore ROTC tour and also past their MSR of 6 years? I'm not sure how or why they got separated, FOSx2, or didn't make it past their ROTC as a first shore tour. Unless you did the graduate degree prior to flight school or some other special situation the timing for your first O-4 look usually wouldn't happen until the end of your first shore tour at the earliest, right?
I can tell from a couple of your posts that you're getting hung up on MSR vs. statutory looks for promotion. People in the same YG will get looked at for control grade promotion at the same time. Their individual MSR has nothing to do with that, and having remaining MSR time won't save you from a FOS.

Adding to the confusion, some other posters referring to "making it past your first shore tour" aren't being precise in their language. I think they're saying that the USNA/NROTC tour killed their career, not that they separated after that tour.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

For discussion sake, the examples I was referring to were all single anchor types. Brett is correct, I didn't mean immediately out of the military. That being said, while I don't remember when the pilot MSR changed, we are talking about guys that were probably 1997-2000'ish YG types (guys who were my NROTC LT's when I was a MIDN), so it might have been different. Come to think of it, I ran into one of them in Bahrain a couple years ago, who was at that point a USNR CDR…….confused the shit out of me until I did some mental math and realized that actually made sense

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Does not necessarily apply to jet folks due to length of pipeline.

agreed……I knew 3 guys in my JO/sea tour that were either within a year of their first look, or had it during said tour. All were slightly more senior than average, but your standard VFA JO will likely have at least their first look during shore tour. Totally 100% different for NFO, even VFA/VAQ NFO, who are often 2 cruises deep prior to becoming an O-3 based on shorter time to train. I was almost 4 years prior to getting to my JO tour. I've heard anecdotally that this is only getting worse these days.