• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A timeline

ItsTurboTime

I scheduled my PRK surgery for just after graduation in May. What needs to happen before that and what can't happen until after that. For instance, will my OSO just sit on my app package until I get the surgery and show stabilization (6 mos)? If so that certainly gives me an extension on getting my PFT score...

edit: USMC if it makes a difference.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
i got prk during the school year. i was already contracted as ground so i was going to OCS regardless, but once i was stablized (about 2 months before i went to Jr's) my OSO put me up for an air contract, and i was accepted then. But regarding your question, you're flight app will not be sent in until you recieve the thumbs up from the military doctors (i had to get an eye test at an AF base, because there is no navy or Marine base around)

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
IIRC the absolute minimum time before you can apply for the waiver (yes, you need a waiver, though current policy is that they are granted if post-op is favorable) is 3 months, unless the initial correction (myopia + astigmatism) as -5 diopters or higher, then its 6 months. Though the way the policy is, you need to show stabilization after that time, which means 2 eye tests 30 days apart with identical results. That is, if you test 20/20 one month, and 20/15 the next, you're not stable yet. So, you basically need 4 months post-op. During that 4 months, just take care of your eyes. Use eye drops liberally. Then, on your last visit, on the way out of the office, just ask your doc for a xerox of your entire folder. You've probably told him you're military so he's probably expecting this anyway. That way you walk out of the office with all the MEDDOCS that MEPS/NAMI will need. Of course, do the same thing as the EPSQ, make 2 copies and put em in a firesafe when you get home. Good luck.

ItsTurboTime

Okay, that is all stuff I already know, so I'll be more specific:

Do I need to get the waiver before I apply for OCS? I'm not going to contract ground then get the surgery, I'm applying for an air contract.

ItsTurboTime

^I got my answer but I just wanted to post an update on my situation:

I got my "PRK custom" scheduled for Tuesday April 11th. :D I'm very excited. I'm having TLC do it at the reccomendation of my optometrist. Most people know they were made famous by doing Tiger Woods' LASIK, but you wouldn't expect to even go to the same office he did. Apparently the usual opthamologist won't be there on my date, so I'm told the doc that actually operated on Tiger is coming up to do mine too :eyebrows_

ItsTurboTime

Just got back from 1 day doc visit. VERY light sensitive. Doc said I had the best 1-day vision he's seen after PRK: 20/50 and 20/40 I think (I was 20/300 before). More to come, now its time for eye-drop meds and book on tape.

SpiderUSMC

Good to hear bud! I posted you some advice on Marineocs.com but I"ll drop it here as well. Make sure when you're sleeping to wake up every few hours and rehydrate your eyes. I had the epethelial layer rip off one of my eyes because it dried out to much. It was more painful than the actual surgery.

nugget81

pilot
SpiderUSMC said:
Make sure when you're sleeping to wake up every few hours and rehydrate your eyes. I had the epethelial layer rip off one of my eyes because it dried out to much. It was more painful than the actual surgery.

I had the same thing happen. Follow that advice and treat your eyes right for the next several weeks. Eye drops are your best friends now....:magnify_1