• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A question about what happens after the offer is accepted

Fifrein

Still Learning
I'm a prospective applicant for SNA/SNFO, hoping to be accepted in SNA, and I was wondering about the pipeline, should I be accepted on the 23rd of May. (Knock on Wood!) Specifically, I'm wondering whether prospective naval officers go through boot camp before heading to OCS. It makes sense in my head, but all the information I've found and read starts with OCS, which seems to imply that boot is a no-go. I only ask because I'm not sure I'm currently in proper physical shape to go straight through OCS, and I believe boot might really help me out.

I await the inevitable "Use the search function", but I scanned the site for half an hour and couldn't find a thread answering this question. Any insight would be appreciated!

(Minor Edit: I also did notice the extra word in the title about 30 seconds after I posted this! Doh! :confused: )

Fifrein

Still Learning
Start exercising yesterday, regardless of boot camp or OCS date.

Yeah, I've heard that a lot, haha! I have yet to know if I'll be accepted, but I've started visiting my local gym and taking the stairs if given the choice.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm a prospective applicant for SNA/SNFO, hoping to be accepted in SNA, and I was wondering about the pipeline, should I be accepted on the 23rd of May. (Knock on Wood!) Specifically, I'm wondering whether prospective naval officers go through boot camp before heading to OCS. It makes sense in my head, but all the information I've found and read starts with OCS, which seems to imply that boot is a no-go. I only ask because I'm not sure I'm currently in proper physical shape to go straight through OCS, and I believe boot might really help me out.

I await the inevitable "Use the search function", but I scanned the site for half an hour and couldn't find a thread answering this question. Any insight would be appreciated!

(Minor Edit: I also did notice the extra word in the title about 30 seconds after I posted this! Doh! :confused: )

But did you ask your OR?

No joke, when you signed your paperwork did you bother to ask that question?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Go straight to OCS, don't pass Go, do not collect $200 USD. Instead forward me $200 for answering your question.

CM23 out!

Fifrein

Still Learning
But did you ask your OR?

No joke, when you signed your paperwork did you bother to ask that question?

I asked my OR many questions which he responded with "I'm not sure about the specifics, let me ask the guy above." and didn't get back to me for a week. I respect the guy, he was really nice to work with and very helpful, but there were several things he just couldn't answer specifically for me.

Go straight to OCS, don't pass Go, do not collect $200 USD. Instead forward me $200 for answering your question.

CM23 out!

Thanks a lot, but can I send you 200 cents instead? I'm a little low on Monopoly cash!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I asked my OR many questions which he responded with "I'm not sure about the specifics, let me ask the guy above." and didn't get back to me for a week. I respect the guy, he was really nice to work with and very helpful, but there were several things he just couldn't answer specifically for me.

Thanks a lot, but can I send you 200 cents instead? I'm a little low on Monopoly cash!

Okay... follow up. Your OR will probably need to learn this as well. Let us know what you find out...

Judge Q

Judging You
haha, Thank you very much everyone for answering! It looks like I'm getting the same answer from everyone, so I think this thread is just about complete.

Just an interesting bit of trivia, for Army OCS you do go to boot camp first but they're the only branch that does that to OCS candidates.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Who told you that you go through boot camp before OCS? Are you talking to Army officers?

Yeah, I've heard that a lot, haha! I have yet to know if I'll be accepted, but I've started visiting my local gym and taking the stairs if given the choice.

If your primary goal is specifically to get in shape for the PRT, you should try to focus on running and doing pushups and ab workouts (and other bodyweight exercises) to build cardio and muscular endurance, because frankly that's what matters.

Also avoid elliptical machines. It's not a replacement for running at all. If anything, it'll give you a false sense that it's making you good for running. Even biking and spin bikes employ the muscles differently and it's a different movement from running.

Just an interesting bit of trivia, for Army OCS you do go to boot camp first but they're the only branch that does that to OCS candidates.

Funny thing is AROTC replaces both of them IIRC. After graduating you go to BOLC.

The Marine Corps doesn't put officer candidates through MCRD, but after OCS all officers have to go through TBS for a drawn-out 6 months. Then on top of all of that, you don't have a whole lot of say in what your MOS is going to be.

For folks who want to join the military, want a college extracurricular, want their college tuition paid for, and don't want to apply and compete in hyper-competitive OCS selection, ROTC is really the best way to go.

Last edited by a moderator: