• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A-Pool info

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Skipping IFS sounds like a good move.

giphy.gif

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
@colonial-aviation , I used to tell flight students not to worry if they got to the fleet a month (or two or six) later than they would like because training took a little longer. The world will not run out of shitty places for you to deploy to. They will still be there when you get there.

I'm pretty sure I said that to a few of @fc2spyguy 's friends when I was on my second IP tour and look at him now- he got in some cool deployments and now he's retired. Both of us are retired. And all those places are still there.

Enjoy Pensacola and your time off.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
IFS isn't some joke program and depending on your instructor/FBO it can be more difficult than advertised on AirWarriors. That was my experience anyways. Don't go into it with the attitude that it is going to be an easy check in the box. They can and do attrite people.

I apologize for the gung-ho mentality.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We did attrite people from IFS, but never (during my tenure) for poor airwork alone. There was always some other jackassery at play, like students showing up for events completely unprepared, gundecking musters, or failing the FAA exam.

The only board I recall on an otherwise well-performing student was a failed SFS. It turned out her instructor had never told her she could adjust her seat upward (she was a 5-ft-nothing pixie). Well, being unable to see the runway explains your shitty landings... We looked at it as a failure by the instructor, not on her part.

Part of the “Screening” in IFS is weeding out those unwilling to knuckle down and work hard at it. Take IFS seriously and do the work, and you’ll be fine.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Agree with above. I can’t imagine that poor airwork alone could get you attrited. A good attitude and safe performance are all you need to pass, despite how “hard” the instructors make it.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
  1. Do IFS, it's a blast.
  2. Consider finishing up the PPL before you start flying the T-6 (a few of my friends did this, they just continued with the contracted flight school on their own dime in A-Pool and before classing up for Primary) and your hours in the T-6 will count a bit more down the road on paper if you're considering the airlines. I know, I know, I'm going to get flamed for this, but telling a student outright to NOT get his PPL is advice I took at the time and now I wish I had done it before flight school - especially if this guy is already that close to it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
  1. Do IFS, it's a blast.
  2. Consider finishing up the PPL before you start flying the T-6 (a few of my friends did this, they just continued with the contracted flight school on their own dime in A-Pool and before classing up for Primary) and your hours in the T-6 will count a bit more down the road on paper if you're considering the airlines. I know, I know, I'm going to get flamed for this, but telling a student outright to NOT get his PPL is advice I took at the time and now I wish I had done it before flight school - especially if this guy is already that close to it.

I picked up my private glider rating at Coastal Soaring while waiting to start primary. It was an inexpensive way to do some really good and fun flying.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I picked up my private glider rating at Coastal Soaring while waiting to start primary. It was an inexpensive way to do some really good and fun flying.

This!

There are great people out there. You will learn all sorts of stuff about flying.

I got my commercial add on with them when I was in Pensacola as an instructor.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Oh, here is an older thread about flying at Coastal Soaring and glider flying in general.