• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A good wrist watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSKiker

SNA On my Way to P'cola
Anyone recommend a brand or style of watch that is useful to an aviater, or is there such a thing? My in-laws want to get me one for graduation, and I thought maybe someone in the field could give me some guidance. Thanks.

I also need to buy one soon. I used to have a Nike one but it broke :( it was old... I got it when they first came out. So now I need a new one but I really don't want to spend a ton of money on it because I'm really poor right now since it's the end of the school year. Any suggestions? Does anyone know what things you really should make sure your watch has on it?? Thanks

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I am probably in the minority, I don't wear a watch when flying... T-34 had a clock in it.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
(A) Not wearing a watch isn't a good idea. Clocks in the plane can and will fail, and most IPs/Sim Instructors will flip if you tell them you can't do a timed turn or a full instrument procedure because your clock broke. They will ask why you don't use your watch (true story, my own and a few others). Why not have a back-up?

(B) That said, there's no sense in buying a nice watch to fly with. Soemthing you can easily read day or night, with some way to read seconds is all you need. I used a 25 dollar Timex Ironman, the ol' exchange special. Worked fine. Any watch you wear is gonna get beat up as years go by.

BUT, if you relatives insist on buying you one, get a nice Tag. Tell them you wear it all the time flying. (but wear the cheapo one anytime you're on the flightline).

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
In my husband's fleet squadron, most all the guys wore/wear nice watches- Tag, Omega,etc. or the metal Fossils. No one really wears the "casio" style watches (although on his carrier deployment, my husband did not bring his Tag-we bought him a cheapie timex).

Status
Not open for further replies.