• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A bit confused on vision requirements

SamAca10

I met with my eye doctor at the Academy last week and he says that I currently meet all of the vision requirements for flight school, even though I do wear glasses/contacts.

From reading the CG Aviation Medicine Manuel, it says that you need distant visual acuity correctable to 20/20, uncorrected to 20/50.

For near visual acuity it says correctable to 20/20.

I've been thinking about getting PRK for awhile now, but is it even worth it if my vision is within the standards? I'd still have to wear glasses/contacts in the cockpit though...

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
I wouldn't get the surgery based on the idea you need it to be a better pilot. If you meet the Coast Guard requirements for vision standards, you are fine. I flew with lots of guys who wore contacts/glasses (especially on night flights). Sadly, I think I'm almost to that point but I'm stubborn and won't submit! :)

My 2 cents on pilot vision is that as long as you can read a chart, see the instruments and have enough depth perception to land the plane, fly formation, land the plane, etc you can fly just as well as someone with eagle eye 20/10....the old days of needing to spot small contacts over 20 miles out visually have been largely negated by technology.

Davfo

As far as I'm concerned, from what I've looked up, vision requirements are 20/200 uncorrected, corrected to 20/20. This is the main reason why I decided on the Coast Guard after I get my degree as opposed to the Air Force or the Navy whose uncorrected requirements are 20/70 - 20/50 or something like that. Basically, for the Coast Guard, if you can see the big "E" on the chart without any glasses/contacts (and you have normal depth perception, color vision, etc.) you can be a pilot. With those standards, the Coast Guard would be the only branch to give me a chance to become a pilot.

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
I would strongly suggest not getting PRK prior to service as it'll cost you a few thousand dollars. If you're in the service and you're a pilot, you'll be at the top of the list for corrective refractive surgery.

SamAca10

I wouldn't get the surgery based on the idea you need it to be a better pilot. If you meet the Coast Guard requirements for vision standards, you are fine. I flew with lots of guys who wore contacts/glasses (especially on night flights). Sadly, I think I'm almost to that point but I'm stubborn and won't submit! :)

My 2 cents on pilot vision is that as long as you can read a chart, see the instruments and have enough depth perception to land the plane, fly formation, land the plane, etc you can fly just as well as someone with eagle eye 20/10....the old days of needing to spot small contacts over 20 miles out visually have been largely negated by technology.

Do you know if I could get a waiver for my astigmatism? Currently uncorrected I see 20/25 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. Corrected I see 20/20 in one eye and 20/20- in the other. Unfortunately, the medical documents that I've looked through say that my level of astigmatism in my worse eye is out of the range of -1.0 to +1.0 diopters. The astigmatism is the main reason that I would consider eye surgery (as well as the fact that I wouldn't have to deal with glasses/contacts any more!)

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
Do you know if I could get a waiver for my astigmatism? Currently uncorrected I see 20/25 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. Corrected I see 20/20 in one eye and 20/20- in the other. Unfortunately, the medical documents that I've looked through say that my level of astigmatism in my worse eye is out of the range of -1.0 to +1.0 diopters. The astigmatism is the main reason that I would consider eye surgery (as well as the fact that I wouldn't have to deal with glasses/contacts any more!)

What is your prescription exactly?