• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

8x57 Mod 98 Mauser with a story

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
That attached photo is a 8x57-JS Mauser 98 smuggled out of Poland, sans furniture, in the early 1980's. A friend gave it to me, said that her grandfather, a mid-grade Polish Cavalry Officer, took it from a German sniper during the Warsaw uprising in August 1944, after he killed the sniper with his bare hands. She had the rifle gussied up with a new stock, otherwise the rifle is in near mint condition, all numbers match.

As result of the gift have done some research on the Mauser 98, and have found the most all "surplus" rifles have had the bolts mixed in storage, shipment and etc., many, many are unsafe even at the lowest chamber pressures. To add to the potential for mishap, the original 98 was .318 in dia. later .323 was adopted, or the JS. Careful inspection by a qualified gunsmith is in order before firing an unknown 98. Would not touch the Mitchells.

Fly: Agree. Greek Surplus is available, Olympic as i recall, something on the order of 40C a round. Would never use that crap. I reload my own, when I can get 150 grain bullets, I load with 51 grains of IMR 4064 smokeless, figure that give me about 3,000 FPS mzl vel. Otherwise I use 170 grain bullets 49 grains IMR 4064 load giving about 2750 fps. Very accurate weapon. Smooth as silk

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very nice. I have Yugo ammo, supposed to be rated as some of the best Surplus, from the 70s.

BlkPny

pilot
A good Model 98 Mauser is one of the finest bolt actions ever made. Any model, large ring or small ring, from one of the better factories like Mauser (Oberndorf), Brno, or DWM just can't be beat, especially by any of the "modern" actions. Great strength, great gas venting, excellent steel. I have a beautiful light sporter on a G33/40 action, and a very nice 6mm on a Mexican (DWM) action, plus a very nice .270 on an 09 Argentinian action. They just can't be beat. My favorite is my .280 on a 1934 Mauser Banner action. Its smoother than any commercial sporter I've ever handled. They just can't be beat.

snort

Banned
The Chief said:
She had the rifle gussied up with a new stock, otherwise the rifle is in near mint condition, all numbers match.
Nice rifle.

Too bad she did the stock mod. If you could prove the provenance, it would sell well at a Christie's auction. Otherwise, enjoy adding a fine piece to your collection.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Good looking jeweling job on that bolt...man I need to do that to my 10/22, my Mauser, my Nagant......the list goes on, you know?