• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

60/65 T-course wait times...

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
Need a break from studying Instruments...

Any insight on this? Rumor at NDZ is 10-12 months for 60. 3-6 months for 65.

sardaddy

pilot
That sounds about right. Lots of reasons for it but yes, there is a pretty long wait and it will be for some time.

Brunes

pilot
Concur-Had a nugget check in late Apr/early May and left the end of last month. Heard a story of a -60 driver in waiting expecting a full year. But there are also some plans to loan airframes to ATC to try and accelerate that timeline.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
* Stupid question from a know-nothing-wanna-be *

With every branch of the armed forces flying different flavors of the -60; why couldn't USCG guys in waiting go to another branches school to at least get qualified in type? Then get qualified in model and learn CG specific ops in house?

I know that is an easier said than done solution. I just can't see stashing a guy for up to a year being very fruitful for either the CG or the individual.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

With every branch of the armed forces flying different flavors of the -60; why couldn't USCG guys in waiting go to another branches school to at least get qualified in type? Then get qualified in model and learn CG specific ops in house?

I know that is an easier said than done solution. I just can't see stashing a guy for up to a year being very fruitful for either the CG or the individual.

The focus of their flying is pretty different. It could be done, but I think it would be (potentially) at the loss of the CG.

sardaddy

pilot

In truth there are many CG pilots who are already qual'd in the -60. Some were pilots in previous services and some are all CG trained. The problem is that the T Model is so different that previous quals don't matter. They have to go through a new course to get the qual. That is one of the problems. We don't have enough training slots for the current pilots let alone for the new ones. It is going to be a long time before that settles down.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
That makes sense. I did not realize that the T was such a different animal. Thank You.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In truth there are many CG pilots who are already qual'd in the -60. Some were pilots in previous services and some are all CG trained. The problem is that the T Model is so different that previous quals don't matter. They have to go through a new course to get the qual. That is one of the problems. We don't have enough training slots for the current pilots let alone for the new ones. It is going to be a long time before that settles down.

What is it that's so different? Is it the avionics or something else? Does it let you do Minority Report type stuff?

Seriously, I ask because I'm curious what they are doing that is different from the M or the R/S.

sardaddy

pilot
What is it that's so different? Is it the avionics or something else? Does it let you do Minority Report type stuff?

Seriously, I ask because I'm curious what they are doing that is different from the M or the R/S.
I don't fly 60's so I cannot tell you the exact changes but the overall changes are going from steam gauges to an all glass cockpit, plus major changes in CDUs. Other than that I don't have the specifics. Either way, it was more than the CG could send an instructor to a unit to complete. So instead all pilots have to go back to Mobile for the training. The same thing will be happing in the H65 shortly.