• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

-57 Procedural Trainers?

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Are there any Procedural Trainers for the 57 to get into like they have for the 34? I know there are none in the academic building and haven't explored any of the squadron spaces. I learn EP's better if I can put my hands of stuff and see it visually.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Yes, there are three upstairs on the helo side of the sim building. Just go upstairs, walk to the middle of the motion sims and you'll see the briefing spaces and the CPT's are in the back of the briefing room.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
What biker said, but also head down to the hangers and just sit in a Bravo. You can familiarize yourself with the whole cockpit, but dont flip the switches etc. When I started the CPTs were pretty crowded, so I spent most of my time practicing in the actual aircraft. Just make sure you sit in an aircraft that the L-3 guys aren't working on, they are used to see studs down there practicing checklists and preflight.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What biker said, but also head down to the hangers and just sit in a Bravo. You can familiarize yourself with the whole cockpit, but dont flip the switches etc. When I started the CPTs were pretty crowded, so I spent most of my time practicing in the actual aircraft. Just make sure you sit in an aircraft that the L-3 guys aren't working on, they are used to see studs down there practicing checklists and preflight.

Wilco. Thanks.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
And just to save you guys some embarassment:

If you plan on getting on top of the bird to check out the rotor head for preflight practice, make sure you have a helmet on. It's the rule that if both feet are leaving the deck, you have to have a helmet/equivalent.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Thanks again for the help. Nothing like looking like the silly new guy doing things wrong out there...

Pags

N/A
pilot
It should go without saying, but grab a buddy that's a little further ahead then you are and get them to walk you through the checklist a couple of times so you know what you're doing....and start thinking "down, right, idle, turn".

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I'd recommend asking Maint. Control what is a good plane to sit in/play on. It will help them out and it's a good habit to get into for when you get to the fleet.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
I'd recommend asking Maint. Control what is a good plane to sit in/play on. It will help them out and it's a good habit to get into for when you get to the fleet.

Where is maintenance control in south field? I assume hiding in one of the hangers somewhere?

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Where is maintenance control in south field? I assume hiding in one of the hangers somewhere?

It is in the big hangar building in the partition between the two sides.

Not saying that it is a bad idea to talk to Maintenance Control, but the guidance we were given is that it is perfectly OK to just get in one that isn't being worked on. I have even had maintainers come up to me and ask me to help them with stupid stuff like turning the battery on and panning the searchlight.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Maintenance put a yellow tarp (about 3 feet) on the tail boom of the preflight A/C. Try to use that one first.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It is in the big hangar building in the partition between the two sides.

Not saying that it is a bad idea to talk to Maintenance Control, but the guidance we were given is that it is perfectly OK to just get in one that isn't being worked on. I have even had maintainers come up to me and ask me to help them with stupid stuff like turning the battery on and panning the searchlight.

No doubt more laid back at Whiting, both N and S, since they have so many aircraft, but I always felt wrong just jumping into an aircraft I knew nothing about. Plus you don't want to be the guy that gets in after the floor boards were just painted. Hasn't happened to me, but I know it's happened. At least you get some up-close personal time w/ the MMCPO.