• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31 Year old Prior Enlisted Lookin to go NFO Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdmiller8251

I am hoping someone can give me a straight answer. I am 31, going to turn 32 in June. Prior enlisted P-3 Flight Engineer Got off active duty in 93. I got a college degree with a 2.81 GPA and want to go NFO. I will be honest, I am not the sharpest tack in the box and my PRT is not the greatest right now. I have not taken the ASTB and am worried about it since I am poor in math. What are my odds of getting in? I am setting up to take ASTB in 2 weeks. Am I wasting my time? I figure I only have one shot at it.....

Thanks

KDMILLER

mbeaser

KD,
Is that the end of June, or the beginning? You'd have to finish OCS and be commissioned before your 32nd birthday, from my understanding. Other than that, put in your package, the worst they can say is no. Good luck,
Missy IT1 USN

kdmiller8251

Missy:

From what my recruiter tells me, you have to be commissioned before you turn 33... any time during your 32nd year....

I hope thats correct

AZSkegee

For the NFO program you have to be 27 and with an age waiver if served active duty its 31. I still encourage to apply for a commissioning and go for a leadership position of your choice, but If your goal is NFO, sorry to sound harsh but its hard to do from your standpoint.

kn

KD:

"Applicants must be at least 19 years old and not have passed their 30th birthday on commissioning. Maximum age limit may be adjusted upward to their 32nd birthday for active duty and prior military service applicants."

Since you're turning 32 soon and the selection process currently takes a good few months, I would check with a recruiter to be sure. They may be willing to give you an age waiver. Your GPA is ok, but I hope your degree was in a technical discipline because that will definitely help. I'm 28 years old with a 2.9 GPA and was recently selected for NFO. Just try to get some decent PRT and ASTB scores and I think you'll be fine. It's extremely competitive right now though, so try to get an OAR of at least 50.

As for the ASTB, it's not that hard, so just review the study guides and the practice tests and you'll do ok. Take it soon though, because should you happen to not like the scores the 1st time taking it, you'll have to wait 30 days before you can retake it. For the 3rd time, you'll have to wait 6 months.

Good luck.

- Ken

kdmiller8251

Well looks like you all may be correct. I contactee another recruiter and they said the same thing commisoned by 32,, which pretty much rules me out... Boo Hooo

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
OK guys this is the deal for prior service folks.

SNA must be commis. before 31'st birthday
SNFO must be commis. before 33'rd birthday
example for snfo (32yrs 11 months and 30 days is ok)

This means completed OCS or ROTC and commis. not accepted for one of the programs.

So KD you have a year from june to complete OCS. Better get busy!

This is due to the fact the the age for pilot is 27 and fo is 29. Prior's get a year for year credit for years served up to 4 years. So... if you served four or more years, add 4 to the normal cut off ages of 27 or 29 respectively. If you served 1, 2, or 3 years then you would add that amount to the normal age cutoff. Not to exceed 4 years credit.

Missy it would be his 33'rd not 32'nd birthday
and
AZ you are giving the ages for SNA not SNFO.

Dave

mbeaser

Dave,
I believe you may be mistaken, OPNAVINST 1420.1 says up to age 32, and I doubt that the recruiters instructions are any more lenient especially since another recruiter told him by 32. From what I hear the marines might waive age if you ace the PRT, if you wanted to go that route. Good luck.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
mb and all,

From OPNAVINST 1420.1

"For Naval Flight Officers (1375), be atleast 19 years of age and be able to complete OCS and be commissioned prior to the 30th birthday. Waivers may be considered up to age 32".

The wording in 1420.1 for 1395 SNA is different it says "For Pilots (1395), be atleast 19 years of age and be able to complete OCS and be commisioned prior to the 27'th birthday. Waivers may be considered up to the 31'st birthday".

The wording is slightly different. The NFO instruction is not as specific and maybe this is where the confusion is comming from.

I was told by my recruiter that up to age 32 included all 32 years olds ie before your 33'rd birthday. I will ask the aviation community manager on monday and see how he interprets the instruction. I will let everyone know what he says monday.

Dave

marcb747

I found that the age requirement is often waiverable. I'm an SNFO and I got commissioned way after my 30th birthday. I'm non-prior so technically, I would've been out of the equation. All it took was a letter explaining my circumstances and motivation to get the waiver. Of course, you also need to meet the ASTB, PT and all the other requirements but I think you have a good shot at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.