• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

exNavyOffRec

Yes, tragically I agree based on things I've seen. There was a post I saw a while ago where someone calculated an estimate of the amount of time the board has to review each applicant. I believe even after you removed all the auto quals with no waivers, it was like 2 minutes or so per app.

Again, of the data that's been self-reported from past boards, the percentage of people and range of scores who are selected is pretty diverse, so it is worth submitting.
My 2 cents.
yep, submit and be ready to retest, he may get lucky I mean people do win the lottery right?

NevarYalnal

Going to be brutally honest here, 5/6/6 isn't just the low end, it's the absolute minimum to apply. This is your application not your recruiter's, so if you don't feel comfortable about it when you can improve it but you send it in anyway, that's on you. You have to weigh those pros and cons. If your OR is saying you have a good application, that means your whole application will need to carry you to selection because you can't rely solely on the 5/6/6, that's playing the odds a little. People get selected with your scores, it's doable.

Honestly with an OAR that high it seems like one should be able to improve on the ASTB portion with a little additional studying. you can also take the OAR and the ASTB portions separately; just need to do it within 30 days of one another. Something to keep in mind for a potential retest.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Honestly with an OAR that high it seems like one should be able to improve on the ASTB portion with a little additional studying. you can also take the OAR and the ASTB portions separately; just need to do it within 30 days of one another. Something to keep in mind for a potential retest.
@leevn29 Can definitely improve, all they need to do is study specific portions of the test and master the ASTB-E. Separating the OAR and ASTB-E testing sessions though? I don't think so. You can take the OAR by itself if you wanted to apply to SWO, Intel, AMDO etc. If you want to take the ASTB-E again, you're doing all of it all over again, in one sitting. OAR and ASTB-E.

This is the retest policy from med.navy.mil...
"Examinees who have taken the entire ASTB-E and are being retested must take the entire battery again even though they may be satisfied with their performance on parts of it".

That means all of us who take the OAR/ASTB-E in one sitting need to do that again for a retest. Where did you see or hear that you can take the OAR and ASTB-E on separate sessions within 30 days?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Not applicable here unfortunately. The problem with the merged test is that it's backwards from what has already happened and the original stipulation for full retest still applies. Anyone who has taken the full ASTB-E must retake the entire test. This merged test only applies to individuals who have only taken the OAR and wish to do an ASTB on top of what they've done. Since the person in question has completed the full ASTB-E, they will need to retake it in it's entirety.

"Merged tests. An applicant who has taken the OAR Stage (MST, RCT, and MCT) of the ASTB only",

I appreciate the link, I'm just correcting it because of what you said previously which isn't correct for the situation.
you can also take the OAR and the ASTB portions separately; just need to do it within 30 days of one another. Something to keep in mind for a potential retest.

Last edited:

NevarYalnal

Not applicable here unfortunately. The problem with the merged test is that it's backwards from what has already happened and the original stipulation for full retest still applies. Anyone who has taken the full ASTB-E must retake the entire test. This merged test only applies to individuals who have only taken the OAR and wish to do an ASTB on top of what they've done. Since the person in question has completed the full ASTB-E, they will need to retake it in it's entirety.

"Merged tests. An applicant who has taken the OAR Stage (MST, RCT, and MCT) of the ASTB only",

I appreciate the link, I'm just correcting it because of what you said previously which isn't correct for the situation.
not sure where the misunderstanding here is; i never said they would only need to sit for the ASTB portion on their retake. The understanding is that they would need to sit for the full exam, but if they wanted to they should be able to break up the OAR portion from their ASTB on attempt #2. Unless the guidance says that merged options are not available for retakes i don't see why they can't use that approach.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
if they wanted to they should be able to break up the OAR portion from their ASTB on attempt #2. Unless the guidance says that merged options are not available for retakes i don't see why they can't use that approach.
I don't see it like you do, and I'm not convinced you can do that by what I'm reading.

Maybe @exNavyOffRec can comment here before I drop a novel in response to try and explain it.

A D

Took the ASTB recently(52 7/8/7), I, unfortunately, had the joystick cord come unplugged for maybe like 3-5 seconds not entirely sure how long specifically (a few of those seconds of me trying to figure out what happened, I was lucky the joystick lights up all blue, which helped me recognize what happened) during the last tracking section when you have to track with both the stick and throttle. I wasn't accepted the first time around at 48 6/6/6; which I somewhat expected with a low GPA (2.57) and a waiver. I have my commercials pilot's license (albeit I've been told prior flight time and ratings don't matter much). Not sure if my scores are competitive or good enough to get accepted with my GPA and waiver but my package is submitted to this board. I have a few LOR's from one pilot and one NFO (O2 and O4), one from my university's campus director, and an interview. I feel like I'm somewhat relying on prior flight time and my Interview/LOR's; as well as a note from my recruiter and from the APEX center (I believe that's the name, my recruiter was awesome enough to handle that for me) that sent me a note for my package, stating that I had my joystick come unplugged during my flight track portion. Good luck to everyone.

Prin

None
Took the ASTB recently(52 7/8/7), I, unfortunately, had the joystick cord come unplugged for maybe like 3-5 seconds not entirely sure how long specifically (a few of those seconds of me trying to figure out what happened, I was lucky the joystick lights up all blue, which helped me recognize what happened) during the last tracking section when you have to track with both the stick and throttle. I wasn't accepted the first time around at 48 6/6/6; which I somewhat expected with a low GPA (2.57) and a waiver. I have my commercials pilot's license (albeit I've been told prior flight time and ratings don't matter much). Not sure if my scores are competitive or good enough to get accepted with my GPA and waiver but my package is submitted to this board. I have a few LOR's from one pilot and one NFO (O2 and O4), one from my university's campus director, and an interview. I feel like I'm somewhat relying on prior flight time and my Interview/LOR's; as well as a note from my recruiter and from the APEX center (I believe that's the name, my recruiter was awesome enough to handle that for me) that sent me a note for my package, stating that I had my joystick come unplugged during my flight track portion. Good luck to everyone.
good luck bro

Reactions: A D

Prin

None
medical waiver?

exNavyOffRec

Your scores are good, your GPA is not, the waiver depending on what it is for may or may not have an effect, waiver for drinking underage isn't that bad, waiver for snorting coke for 3 years is bad, so you can see saying "waiver" really doesn't help anyone give you their thoughts.

villo0692

Your scores are good, your GPA is not, the waiver depending on what it is for may or may not have an effect, waiver for drinking underage isn't that bad, waiver for snorting coke for 3 years is bad, so you can see saying "waiver" really doesn't help anyone give you their thoughts.
Just wondering, since you're very experienced with the subject....besides the OAR and ASTB scores, what are the other factors that determine how competitive you are?

A D

It's minor in possession of mj charge, was a one time mistake I paid heavily for, albeit I still feel like this is something that hurts my chances a lot, especially with the low GPA. I assume I'll have to apply again (If I don't get a DNR this time around), feel like I need above a 60 and triple 9's or something along those lines to even be considered.