• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

17 Sept 2018 IWC DCO Board

Chance_EDO

Still a Pollywog, not yet a Shellback

I was sworn in in November and it is now January and I’m still not in DEERS. I have been waiting for a long time.

1) Does anyone know what the wait is with getting into DEERS?
2) Does anyone know the next steps I should do after swearing in? Are we supposed to get orders or ??

Any help or insight is much appreciated.

DragonFly7

I was sworn in in November and it is now January and I’m still not in DEERS. I have been waiting for a long time.

1) Does anyone know what the wait is with getting into DEERS?
2) Does anyone know the next steps I should do after swearing in? Are we supposed to get orders or ??

Any help or insight is much appreciated.
You should talk to your Office Recruiter or Officer Processor about the status of your processing.
AFAIK:
1. After you swear-in, your officer Processor sends your entire signed COMDOCS to Pers/Millington for further processing
2. The document then returns back to your NRD/Officer Processor in 2-4 weeks or more YMMV.
3. Your Officer processor takes the documents to the NOSC you are assigned, either physical copies or Digital. You can call your NOSC Manpower to see if they got anything about you.
4. The NOSC gains you after receipt of the DOCS, and in about 48hrs you should be in DEERS. (to verify if you are in DEERS or if you have been gained call the DEERS 1-800 #) answer a few questions and if it lets you in you have been gained)
5. Locate an ID center and go get your CAC/ID https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/appj/site?execution=e1s1

More importantly you should be in touch with your unit command by now, they can also help with some of the processes and make a few calls, my XO was very helpful.

This is how it went for me, I've been gained and off to drills/Indoc. PRO-REC Sept'18 board.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Once you are sworn in, you need to gently press until you are gained and drilling. There are two huge reasons for this. First, you will want to perform most/all of your FY19 IDT drill periods in order to have a “good year” toward retirement. Second, for 18X5 designators, the clock starts on your 36 month deadline to earn your initial professional qualifications (PQS). CNIFR Staff does not like granting these waivers without a reason, and you’ll need justification to not become a “non attain” due to failure to complete your initial qualification training within the allotted time.

YMMV. And there is a balance - don’t be annoying about it. But also, your career is pretty much determined by you. As a reserve officer, you will often need to go out of your way to solve problem X on your own. This will come up again.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Everyone passes...
Yes, at the board. But officers who fail to manage their timelines and don’t go to their schools on time are at risk of non attain. For 1835, you can’t board if you haven’t completed phase two (regardless of whether your book is all signed). Yes, you can physically sit for a board with your unit if they let you, but CNIFR N7 won’t process the 3I1 AQD paperwork if you haven’t attended phase two.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Yes, at the board. But officers who fail to manage their timelines and don’t go to their schools on time are at risk of non attain. For 1835, you can’t board if you haven’t completed phase two (regardless of whether your book is all signed). Yes, you can physically sit for a board with your unit if they let you, but CNIFR N7 won’t process the 3I1 AQD paperwork if you haven’t attended phase two.
I've never heard of anyone getting the boot for non-attainment.

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
who adds us to DEERS? NOSC, recruiter, or PERS once they get the package from recruiter?

I don't want to feed the rumor mill too much - but another way to verify if you are in DEERS is to try to log onto the navy uniform site. Link is below.

https://uniforms.nexweb.org

From what I understand, logging on to this site confirms you are registered in deers. I checked it almost daily on my re-elistment after a break in service and was able to go get an ID after I could log on to that site. Enlisted recruiter told me you are certainly in DEERS once you are able to log onto that site.

But the other posters are probably right - it might be easier just to call DEER directly.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I want to say the new IWC DCO service agreement has wording that you’ll be sent to IRR/separate if someone can’t complete the qualification process.
Yes, that's great. I have never seen or heard of any 1835 get ADSEP'd out or sent to the IRR for not finishing their Intel PQS or IDWO PQS.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I heard the number directly from the source at CNIFR. I can’t recall the number offhand, but in the past two years, it was more than a dozen 18X5 across all IWC Reserve who were non-attained.

Bottom line, take the training seriously and don’t blow it off. No one cares if you’re simultaneously getting a graduate degree from Ivory Tower U at the same time (hence why the DCO board wants your degree to be done before you join). If your civilian job plans to send you away to Whereverstan or Margarita Island for a three-year tour when you are a brand new ENS, going to IRR does not protect you from the 36-month deadline on earning your PQS, and you may need to think seriously about coming back CONUS for the training, deferring your civilian mob, and/or asking yourself why you joined the USNR.

Chance_EDO

You should talk to your Office Recruiter or Officer Processor about the status of your processing.
AFAIK:
1. After you swear-in, your officer Processor sends your entire signed COMDOCS to Pers/Millington for further processing
2. The document then returns back to your NRD/Officer Processor in 2-4 weeks or more YMMV.
3. Your Officer processor takes the documents to the NOSC you are assigned, either physical copies or Digital. You can call your NOSC Manpower to see if they got anything about you.
4. The NOSC gains you after receipt of the DOCS, and in about 48hrs you should be in DEERS. (to verify if you are in DEERS or if you have been gained call the DEERS 1-800 #) answer a few questions and if it lets you in you have been gained)
5. Locate an ID center and go get your CAC/ID https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/appj/site?execution=e1s1

More importantly you should be in touch with your unit command by now, they can also help with some of the processes and make a few calls, my XO was very helpful.

This is how it went for me, I've been gained and off to drills/Indoc. PRO-REC Sept'18 board.

Thank you so much. This detailed write up is extremely helpful! I am going to contact them now to inquire.

Chance_EDO

Once you are sworn in, you need to gently press until you are gained and drilling. There are two huge reasons for this. First, you will want to perform most/all of your FY19 IDT drill periods in order to have a “good year” toward retirement. Second, for 18X5 designators, the clock starts on your 36 month deadline to earn your initial professional qualifications (PQS). CNIFR Staff does not like granting these waivers without a reason, and you’ll need justification to not become a “non attain” due to failure to complete your initial qualification training within the allotted time.

YMMV. And there is a balance - don’t be annoying about it. But also, your career is pretty much determined by you. As a reserve officer, you will often need to go out of your way to solve problem X on your own. This will come up again.

Thank you Hair Warrior!

Thanks to your helpful assistance and also Dragonfly’s explanation, I am contacting them for help.

Much appreciation to you Hair Warrior for your advice!

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Yes, that's great. I have never seen or heard of any 1835 get ADSEP'd out or sent to the IRR for not finishing their Intel PQS or IDWO PQS.

I can't speak to 1835s, but 3165s do sign a contract that states if you do not complete the required schooling within 36 months (should really only take 12-16 months) of commissioning you are out of SELRES. Can't remember if it ADSEP or IRR, but I have to imagine it isn't IRR since you haven't met the schooling/training qualifications and are of no value. I have personally heard from the O6 who used to manage the pipeline for 3165 DCOs that they have had to let people go over the last few years for failing to meet this requirement.