• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

exNavyOffRec

Are you BDCP? MEPS will not do physicals on those who are active duty, our BDCP collegiates have had to get their physicals done at the local military treatment facility, and hope no issues have come up since you came in the program.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I had someones dad mention that to me but the oldest PA I could find was from before 2007 and that still had 3.5 even when I showed him the requirements in black and white he still thought it was wrong.

I could be wrong, I never really paid attention to the minimums.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
My contract just said deans IIRC, the odd thing about that is "deans list" varies from school to school, I know at my school, the individual colleges had different variations on deans. You could probably argue your way to a promotion, I wasn't in the program long enough before OCS to worry about that.

exNavyOffRec

The new PA removed the 3.5 requirement I guess, now it just says deans list for what I would imagine is the reason stated, each school can have a different definition of deans list. Didn't read the new PA when it came out since BDCP has essentially been shut down.

ldelisio

Hey guys,
I've been in BDCP since January 2010 and I am graduating in May 2012. I was just wondering when I would typically know my permanent ship date for OCS as the one I have now is in January 2013? My recruiter said that it would most likely be pushed up till summer sometime. What would be a good guess for when I would ship off to OCS? Also I'm NFO designated and was wondering typically right now how long it would be between commission and flight school?

exNavyOffRec

Hey guys,
I've been in BDCP since January 2010 and I am graduating in May 2012. I was just wondering when I would typically know my permanent ship date for OCS as the one I have now is in January 2013? My recruiter said that it would most likely be pushed up till summer sometime. What would be a good guess for when I would ship off to OCS? Also I'm NFO designated and was wondering typically right now how long it would be between commission and flight school?
I would have your recruiter talk to his or her processor so they can get answers from NRC, my May 2012 graduates already have set OCS dates, so maybe that date isn't a hold date.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
I graduated May of last year, originally had a date in July, switched to June, eventually shipped in August. I think it'd be safe to be prepared to go earlier. They can tell you you're going in May, or they can say not until next year, see what I'm getting at?

For flight school I think it was averaging 17 days between commissioning and report date for my class and the classes before me. There isn't much of a hold up right now down here, but you've got some time before you make it here so I'll bet it will probably change.

ldelisio

I would have your recruiter talk to his or her processor so they can get answers from NRC, my May 2012 graduates already have set OCS dates, so maybe that date isn't a hold date.

My recruiter did talk to the processor and that's what he said it will probably be pushed up. So your saying that I might actually have to wait till January 2013 till OCS, that is 8 months of the Navy paying me to sit around.

exNavyOffRec

It could be they overlooked you and didn't get you out of a "hold" class date so you recruiter asking may have spurred them to do something, I would expect them to get you to OCS in either the June or July class so you can count for FY12, if they actually can't get you to class sooner you might not be just sitting around, CNRC has directed that collegiates work in the local recruiting offices if there is more than a few weeks after graduation, their thought is if we are paying them, they will work.

I have had SNA and SNFO's go right to Pensacola, and I have had others do stash duty for several months.

WEGL12

VT-28
Are you BDCP? MEPS will not do physicals on those who are active duty, our BDCP collegiates have had to get their physicals done at the local military treatment facility, and hope no issues have come up since you came in the program.

I am currently in BDCP. What issues are you referring to? I am not worried about having another physical but never realized the MEPS physical would expire before I went to OCS. My recruiter said all collegiates would have to go back to MEPS if two years had passed since originally going to MEPS. Just the first I have heard of this.

exNavyOffRec

I am currently in BDCP. What issues are you referring to? I am not worried about having another physical but never realized the MEPS physical would expire before I went to OCS. My recruiter said all collegiates would have to go back to MEPS if two years had passed since originally going to MEPS. Just the first I have heard of this.
By the book a physical must not expire (go past 2 years) prior to the end of OCS, it wasn't really enforced until last year.

If there are no bases near you then there may be an exception for you to go back to MEPS, by no issues I mean no injuries, illneses, etc....

WEGL12

VT-28
By the book a physical must not expire (go past 2 years) prior to the end of OCS, it wasn't really enforced until last year.

If there are no bases near you then there may be an exception for you to go back to MEPS, by no issues I mean no injuries, illneses, etc....

Thanks for the information. Nothing has come up since I originally went to MEPS so thats why I am not worried about it at all. Just was wondering. Hopefully I can just go to a base near by because several are close to my university and I enjoyed MEPS enough the first time.

yakboyslim

None
This is BDCP, so if you DOR while at OCS you do give up rank and go back to E-3 as a non-designated striker for two years [Sec. 1d in our contracts]. If you are medically discharged or otherwise separated (honorably, administratively...don't know about dishonorable) you would still be an E-5 rank, but it could vary on what you would receive (if any) from that point on. But because we're BDCP it stipulates in our contract [Sec. 2h] that we go to OCPO2 (E-5) after graduation regardless of previous rank, whereas non-prior DA guys are no rank until OCS and only go to E-5 at that time.

As far as prior service, I'm not for sure but have heard that they have to give up their enlisted rank while in BDCP and be E-3/4/5 until OCS, but at that time depending on time in service and rank they can get slightly higher pay than E-5 as well as O-1E (four years or more prior) after commissioning.

I'm certain that others have already received their promotion and pay increases (just about everyone in yesterday's class and the previous class said so) so I'm just trying to find out why my recruiters would withhold it from me. I've met the requirements listed in the service agreement, which is the exact document they recite back to me and hold me accountable to, so I don't see how or why they would prevent me from doing so. I'm hoping someone who may have gone through a similar situation has some gouge on what to do to get it fixed.

Show them your contract. You go to e-5 paygrade immediately at graduation. Your recruiting office isn't in a position to make a decision about whether or not to give you that money. I don't have any advice as to what to do, but you are in the right.

Prior enlisted do not take a pay cut to go to OCS, they maintain the paygrade while at OCS, though I guess they do give up the rank.