• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1/C Avaition Cruise

Tom1616

Hi all, I'm a rising senior MIDN and this summer I got assigned a 1/C Aviation cruise with a F/A18E squadron. I was wondering if some time, through out the month I'm there, if there is any possibility of me getting to ride in an F/A18. I've had friends who got put at F/A18F squadrons who got rides, but don't know of anyone who went to a single seater squadron.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Definitely weird they'd assign you to a single seat squadron, the whole idea is to make you have fun flying!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I went to a legacy Frigate (FF) my 1/C cruise and had a blast - and was grateful for the experience believe it or not! I actually got hands on schooled how to conn the ship, run a radar plot, celestal nav and shoot stuff. Old school. Connected with the HSL embarked det and got loads of flying too. Rewarding in seeing how the real Navy actually worked. In my time there were no 1/C "cruises" to Aviation commands - you were going haze grey underway for 2 months.

Sounds like 1/C to a squadron is more like an internship now - I'm sure there is valuable PowerPoint to be done!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went to a legacy Frigate (FF) my 1/C cruise and had a blast - and was grateful for the experience believe it or not! I actually got hands on schooled how to conn the ship, run a radar plot, celestal nav and shoot stuff. Old school. Connected with the HSL embarked det and got loads of flying too. Rewarding in seeing how the real Navy actually worked. In my time there were no 1/C "cruises" to Aviation commands - you were going haze grey underway for 2 months.
Cool story.
Sounds like 1/C to a squadron is more like an internship now
No

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
If that were true, why do they keep sending Middies to VP squadrons for their summer cruise?
This. I was sent to VP30 in 2004. I happened to be from Jacksonville.
Pros:
  • Beach w/ my new friends.
  • Old friends, meet new friends. Oh, hi old friends.
  • Oh, hi old friend who lives near NAS JAX and has a jetski.
  • My old Chevy.
  • Since I wasn't doing anything of value, I had the time to sequester myself in my BOQ room in the dark for 2 days, "resting my eyes for my SNA physical."
  • 2 flights that were kind of interesting, I guess.
Cons:
  • like ten attempts at flights canceled by mx delays that ran in to wx cancellations.
  • Not flying much.
  • Not seeing a whole lot of anything the Navy does.
  • I and other MIDN at old friend's beach house, hung over, receiving 6am call from duty officer "hey get over here, I got a sim scheduled for you," followed by a race across town, attempts at getting cleaned up, and the sim getting canceled anyway.
Moral of the story, if you don't get good training, at least have a good time.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Hi all, I'm a rising senior MIDN and this summer I got assigned a 1/C Aviation cruise with a F/A18E squadron. I was wondering if some time, through out the month I'm there, if there is any possibility of me getting to ride in an F/A18. I've had friends who got put at F/A18F squadrons who got rides, but don't know of anyone who went to a single seater squadron.
Generally, the two-seat squadron (and the HSC squadron) in the air wing will pony up flights for all of the single seat squadrons...at least that's how my air wing does it.