• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

The2ndworst

C
So, I just took the PBM (had computer issues and wasn’t able to take it the first day). When I left, my recruiter called me and said I had scored an 80 on the OAR, but after finishing the PBM today it spit out my scores as a 57 8/9/8. Not sure what the discrepancy on the OAR was and he must’ve just given me bad information but since I’m looking for a SNA slot it doesn’t matter anyway.
Congrats that’s an insane PBM score.

csanfilippo9

So, I just took the PBM (had computer issues and wasn’t able to take it the first day). When I left, my recruiter called me and said I had scored an 80 on the OAR, but after finishing the PBM today it spit out my scores as a 57 8/9/8. Not sure what the discrepancy on the OAR was and he must’ve just given me bad information but since I’m looking for a SNA slot it doesn’t matter anyway.
Wouldn’t be too worried , that’s a perfect PFAR score, congratulations!

Tumbleweed33

Thanks. I badly need to improve my 3 mile run score (had too many years of just lifting) and then plan on shooting for OCC 243 next year once I graduate.
Sounds like you're doing Marine Aviation. I have heard from a former marine pilot that the PFT plays a very large role in selection. Regardless your ASTB score is golden. Good job!

II Sevv

Sounds like you're doing Marine Aviation. I have heard from a former marine pilot that the PFT plays a very large role in selection. Regardless your ASTB score is golden. Good job!
I’m leaning towards it. I’ve talked to both Navy Hornet pilots and Marine F35 pilots and they all think that every new pilot should fly for their branch so it’s hard to get unbiased information, but the “rougher” Marine culture is somewhat attractive as are the higher chances of being on land more of the time (although Marine F35’s are only currently deploying to carriers, or a select few allied bases, because of fears of information security, so there’s that). I figure I might as well take the AFOQT as well while all the information is fresh, although the AF culture really seems more “corporate” from what I have seen, and spots are also incredibly competitive compared to naval aviation. The PFT does play an incredibly large role in Marine selection but unlike the ASTBE it’s an entirely known quantity with obvious benchmarks and it’s easy to measure yourself and log progress.

Tumbleweed33

I’m leaning towards it. I’ve talked to both Navy Hornet pilots and Marine F35 pilots and they all think that every new pilot should fly for their branch so it’s hard to get unbiased information, but the “rougher” Marine culture is somewhat attractive as are the higher chances of being on land more of the time (although Marine F35’s are only currently deploying to carriers, or a select few allied bases, because of fears of information security, so there’s that). I figure I might as well take the AFOQT as well while all the information is fresh, although the AF culture really seems more “corporate” from what I have seen, and spots are also incredibly competitive compared to naval aviation. The PFT does play an incredibly large role in Marine selection but unlike the ASTBE it’s an entirely known quantity with obvious benchmarks and it’s easy to measure yourself and log progress.
You can always put your name in multiple hats! Best of luck with wherever you choose!

CC2224Clone

This is a really great question to ask your officer recruiter who can help you with this
Sorry, I only asked here because I couldn’t get in touch with my officer recruiter for a couple of days but I was scheduled to take the test at 6:30 am this morning.
We got in contact just in time though, so it all worked out.

CC2224Clone

Took the ASTB for the first time early this morning, trying for SNA.
Scores: 59 7/7/7
GPA: 3.66, B.S. Biology

------------
Math: No DRT, logs, or matrices. Just probability, fractional exponents, and "solve for x" type questions. Also a couple of lengthy area problems. I feel like I should have practiced more for this section.

Reading: Simple enough, felt like reading manuals then answering questions about them. Sometimes I was not 100% in my answer choice, other times the correct answer was obvious.

Mech: This section was nice, Kyle's drive made it really easy. Did not see any pulley questions, but did see some density and circuit ones.

ANIT: The FAA handbook + the Cram cards covered most of what I saw here. There was one question about the location of the island on an aircraft carrier.

UAV: Averaged 2 seconds per question and missed 2. There was one question where I thought my computer froze because the audio did not play. However, the audio played on all the rest of the Q's so it must have been a glitch? Practiced with the proprofs cards and compass trick.

Stick/Throttle/Listening: The listening part was a bit tricky at first because I had been practicing with earbuds rather than a headset, but I got the hang of it. For stick and throttle, I had been practicing with Jantzenx simulator but with kbm, not a HOTAS. Getting used to the HOTAS did take a minute, so if I were to do it again, I would definitely be buying one to practice.

------------
Overall, while I wish I had scored higher, I am satisfied with the results. If I have to retake, I know what needs work.

mcwisconsin

Biked over to my local University's NROTC building this morning to take the ASTB for my first time. I probably studied for an average of 2 hours a day for the past week. My OR gave me the option to take the test at a later date, but that would've required me to drive ~2 hours away. (kinda wish I waited and had more time to study though)

Applying for SNA
Scores: 59/6/5/6
GPA: 3.71, B.S. Cartography/GIS and Geophysics

Math: I studied for this section pretty well I thought, but most of my studying went towards "solve for x" types of questions (like John and Jill are painting a house at 2 different rates, how long does it take for them to finish painting a house). I mostly focused on these types of questions because I was under the impression that these would be the most prominent, but they weren't. I didn't have any matrices or logs. Had a few probability questions and on sale type questions. This section ended with 19 minutes remaining, so I don't think I did too hot on it.

Reading: Didn't really study for this because I've always been pretty good at reading portions of standardized tests. Some were very easy and others were not. I was not prepared that all of the passages would be Navy/military focused. That type of reading made it extremely boring. The program crashed during this section and my OR was thinking I might have to start the entire thing over again. Thankfully, he was able to bring the exam back up.

Mech: I just took 2 semesters of general physics so I didn't study this section much. I think I did pretty well.

ANIT: I used the cram cards to study for this one. I knew 60 or 70% of the answers, but I probably only had ~12 questions on this section. I was surprised by how quick this section was.

UAV: I think I got 4 wrong and probably averaged about 4 or 5 seconds. I thought that was pretty good until I came here and read other people's averages. I used the compass trick - I probably could've made this section go faster if I did everything in my head.

Stick/Throttle/Listening: I definitely messed up the first section or 2 of the listening part. I was under the impression that the exam was set up like Jantzen's (idk how to spell his name) simulator, but it was slightly different. I read the instructions at least twice over but I guess I just misunderstood them. I figured it out during the second listening portion. I feel like this mistake definitely lowered my scores. The stick/throttle was pretty straightforward. Using the joystick is a much different feeling that using the mouse on Jantzen's simulator. Like the post above mine says, I would consider buying one for if/when I retake.

--------------

I'm pleased with my score on the OAR, but I was hoping my other 3 scores would be higher. I would broaden the type of math to be studied (exponents, functions, converting between radians and degrees, etc) instead of just focusing on the "solve for x" problems. The UAV and stick/throttle/listening portions could also be improved upon easily. Even though I did pretty "average" on this exam, I'm happy I took it because now I know what to expect for next time.
I still have a year before I graduate so I'm thinking I might apply for the August board - If I get rejected then I'll retake the ASTB later on and reapply for SNA.

robbob134

I am applying for AMDO, and want to get an idea of if my package seems competitive enough, and if I should retake the OAR.

I have an accounting degree with a 3.79 GPA, i scored a 48 on my OAR today ( first attempt )

I was an aviation mechanic in the USMC for 5 years with multiple CDI stamps, deplyoment, NAM.

Should i retake the OAR to appear more competitive? or is this a good enough package?

maxk

Hello everyone, took the ASTB after studying for a few months, but am rather disappointed with my score as I got some questions wrong that I should have gotten correct.
However, I scored a 57 OAR and 6/7/7. I have a 3.27 GPA with a degree in Applied Science. Should I retake the ASTB as I am almost certain I could do better, or should I continue with this application, and if I get rejected, retake and then try again?
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.