• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Metromedic

Contributor
What should I expect on the mechanical section of the OAR?
Here is my comprehensive guide. Not perfect, but its the notes from when I took it.

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
Here is my comprehensive guide. Not perfect, but its the notes from when I took it.

Use this, much better than my comment!

jmj689

Hey Airwarriors community, my first post. Man, I wish I discovered this site sooner, taking the OAR next Thursday Dec 10.
A bit of a backstory, am a 31 yr old male with 3.4 gpa in finance/marketing from univ of Hawaii, have taken only one calculus class in college (apparently it's a requirement to have 2 calc classes for some ratings?) and no prev military experience.
I've tried the last 2 years to join the Air Force, first via officer route, but that was going to take 2 years from start to finish.
Spoke to a sergeant and she suggested that I go enlisted route and try officer after a few years, so I pass everything at MEPS with 98 AFQT (ASVAB) score...but fail my vision exam.
Got a second opinion from an ophthalmologist, but AF SG said no go. I got LASIK procedure to correct vision in Sept 2019 and had to wait a whole year before I could apply again...only for the AF SG to reject my medical waiver (in addition to my refractive error, I also have vitreous detachment)
A waste of time especially considering during covid, I could have been doing something more productive than just maintaining my weight.

Anyways, I started to consider other branches, Navy first came to mind and called for the enlist recruiter, but he suggested I try officer route. Officer recruiter was gracious enough to ask Navy SG for medical waiver before having me to take the OAR, good news is they accepted the waiver...first good news in 2020 really. So a month later here I am studying the OAR. Feels overwhelming considering I never took physics and haven't taken math since college. I'm fully aware I'm running against the clock as my recruiter says I have to swear in before my 32nd birthday (in late June). He says I have enough time, so I'm in haul ass mode, but the mechanical comp/physics and math word problems are giving me fits.

I guess this is a thread for questions about the astb, but it seems like all material is covered in previous threads, however, I am wondering how crucial is knowing binary and matrix multiplication? I have been using the CliffNotes Math Review for Standardized Tests 3rd edition religiously for the last 2 weeks and feel good, until I started to read posts here about binary, logarithms, etc. which isn't covered in this book.

Thinking of switching main study source to the study guides provided here...

All I can say is I'm enjoying the conversations in this thread and I truly appreciate all of the resources and information everyone is providing.
Perhaps I will post again with update on how the exam goes.

Last edited:

NevarYalnal

I am wondering how crucial is knowing binary and matrix multiplication? I have been using the CliffNotes Math Review for Standardized Tests 3rd edition religiously for the last 2 weeks and feel good, until I started to read posts here about binary, logarithms, etc. which isn't covered in this book.

matrix multiplication isn't too hard, you just need to understand how to do it. if you're crushing the math portion it can give you a question on logs/matrix multiplication because the test is adaptive so no harm in brushing up on the concept. I would prioritize familiarizing yourself with logs over matrix multiplication if you're pressed for time though. I used Khan Academy to review.

good luck

villo0692

Hey Airwarriors community, my first post. Man, I wish I discovered this site sooner, taking the OAR next Thursday Dec 10.
A bit of a backstory, am a 31 yr old male with 3.4 gpa in finance/marketing from univ of Hawaii, have taken only one calculus class in college (apparently it's a requirement to have 2 calc classes for some ratings?) and no prev military experience.
I've tried the last 2 years to join the Air Force, first via officer route, but that was going to take 2 years from start to finish.
Spoke to a sergeant and she suggested that I go enlisted route and try officer after a few years, so I pass everything at MEPS with 98 AFQT (ASVAB) score...but fail my vision exam.
Got a second opinion from an ophthalmologist, but AF SG said no go. I got LASIK procedure to correct vision in Sept 2019 and had to wait a whole year before I could apply again...only for the AF SG to reject my medical waiver (in addition to my refractive error, I also have vitreous detachment)
A waste of time especially considering during covid, I could have been doing something more productive than just maintaining my weight.

Anyways, I started to consider other branches, Navy first came to mind and called for the enlist recruiter, but he suggested I try officer route. Officer recruiter was gracious enough to ask Navy SG for medical waiver before having me to take the OAR, good news is they accepted the waiver...first good news in 2020 really. So a month later here I am studying the OAR. Feels overwhelming considering I never took physics and haven't taken math since college. I'm fully aware I'm running against the clock as my recruiter says I have to swear in before my 32nd birthday (in late June). He says I have enough time, so I'm in haul ass mode, but the mechanical comp/physics and math word problems are giving me fits.

I guess this is a thread for questions about the astb, but it seems like all material is covered in previous threads, however, I am wondering how crucial is knowing binary and matrix multiplication? I have been using the CliffNotes Math Review for Standardized Tests 3rd edition religiously for the last 2 weeks and feel good, until I started to read posts here about binary, logarithms, etc. which isn't covered in this book.

Thinking of switching main study source to the study guides provided here...

All I can say is I'm enjoying the conversations in this thread and I truly appreciate all of the resources and information everyone is providing.
Perhaps I will post again with update on how the exam goes.
32 yrs old is the max age for aviation unrestricted line officers (pilots and nfo) you can still apply for many other designators (intel has a 42 yr old cut off age for instance). if you're dead set on being a pilot or nfo considering your vision, then yes, you might need a waiver in case you age out, as well as taking the ASTB (OAR + all the extra stuff ).

eytelthetruth

Hello All,

I am an ex-college baseball student-athlete and graduated with my master's in December of 2019. I was working in professional baseball the last two years until 2020 happened and due to the events of this year, I have recently pursued my passion for serving in the Navy. I was an Annapolis hopeful out of high school and had always thought about the Navy from afar. I took the ASTB-OAR about 3.5 weeks ago and just discovered this page. I did not study for the first time I took it and scored
OAR: 47 AQR: 3 PFAR: 4 and FOFAR:4. I am trying to get the scores to 6's and would love any advice anyone could give. Thank you guys. My next test date is December 10

NevarYalnal

Hello All,

I am an ex-college baseball student-athlete and graduated with my master's in December of 2019. I was working in professional baseball the last two years until 2020 happened and due to the events of this year, I have recently pursued my passion for serving in the Navy. I was an Annapolis hopeful out of high school and had always thought about the Navy from afar. I took the ASTB-OAR about 3.5 weeks ago and just discovered this page. I did not study for the first time I took it and scored
OAR: 47 AQR: 3 PFAR: 4 and FOFAR:4. I am trying to get the scores to 6's and would love any advice anyone could give. Thank you guys. My next test date is December 10

Your test is in just about a week from now, what have you been doing to prepare? Have you been using Kyle's guide (linked to intermittently on this thread). Obviously focus on weaker portions of your exam if you feel you are stronger in certain areas, especially being only a week out.

As this is your second attempt I would recommend delaying the retake if you do not feel like you have adequately prepped for it as you only get three shots total. I believe the next scheduled board for SNA/NFO is April anyways and you are unlikely to make the Dec 11 deadline for Jan at this point.

angeblas

If you practice the compass rose trick with the UAV flashcards that are linked throughout this thread, your ASTB (x/x/x) scores will improve for sure.