• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

gspock

Interested in Supply and SWO, took the OAR.
Scored a 56.
Just did MEPS on 8 Sept. and doc told me I'd be cleared.

OAR

Math

I studied a lot for distance/time/rate problems, which there were 4 of on the OAR. I used IXL to practice and Khan Academy, as well as the study guides on Google Drive from this forum.

My weak point was factoring. There were some pretty long problems involving factoring and simplfying way beyond a normal level, so I should've studied more for that. Negative exponents, cube roots were also on my exam. I think it kicked me off after I couldn't get the factoring ones. I got a 28 on the Math portion of the SAT and tried to study the most for this section.

Reading

This section wasn't too bad. I guess for reference (I never saw anyone compare scores from other standardized tests) I got a 34 and 36 on my English/Reading sections on the ACT. For this portion, 80% of the questions were simple. There were a handful that were difficult, mostly because the answers all seem very similar. Sometimes the answers are the same sentence but in a different order. Those questions + the dry reading material made those 20% of questions pretty difficult. I could not find any practice material that comes close to the reading section in terms of difficulty.

Physics/Mechanical

Nothing crazy. The gouge from this megathread, study guides, and even books like Barron's represent this portion of the exam pretty well. Was pretty bad at physics in general and never liked it, so I studied for this. Felt like I did just OK.

Thanks for everyone's advice/information from this forum. It's been awhile since I took the test but I remember some of it still.

Right now, I'm waiting to see if I pass selection from the board(s).

I know there's a big Excel sheet, so some other things about me, LORs etc.

3.5 GPA, Intl. Business from Arizona State
LORs: Professor, Former Employer, Federal Agent/Supervisor, Former Coach/Teacher

OAR wasn't too high but it seemed OK. I didn't want to chance a retake. My recruiter said they've had two applicants selected for supply, with a 45 and 55. So here's hoping.
What kind of factoring problems/D=RT problems did you see?

rayg36

Today was supposed to be the big day of becoming apart of this thread in taking my OAR. Unfortunately the storm in Pensacola, FL has affected the servers of the online test. I have been studying since earlier this year and have purchased the Barrons and ARCO GRE/GMAT book. Both have helped me a lot. I have used online resources like Youtube, stemwithkieno.com, and MathandScience.com. If you were like me and so many others on here that lacked confidence in math and science, I recommend searching "math and science" on youtube or visiting the website. The videos are step by step and give a thorough explanation of formulas and reasoning. I hope I pass on good luck and good insight for anyone pursuing this same goal.

jkeikot

Today was supposed to be the big day of becoming apart of this thread in taking my OAR. Unfortunately the storm in Pensacola, FL has affected the servers of the online test. I have been studying since earlier this year and have purchased the Barrons and ARCO GRE/GMAT book. Both have helped me a lot. I have used online resources like Youtube, stemwithkieno.com, and MathandScience.com. If you were like me and so many others on here that lacked confidence in math and science, I recommend searching "math and science" on youtube or visiting the website. The videos are step by step and give a thorough explanation of formulas and reasoning. I hope I pass on good luck and good insight for anyone pursuing this same goal.

Same thing happened to me today. I was also scheduled to take it this morning and got a call while I was on my way that I’ll have to reschedule. This was my second time rescheduling because the server was down a couple weeks ago when I was originally scheduled. I planned to submit for the November Pilot board, not sure if I’ll be able to now. I have everything else ready to go other than the exam. I am rescheduled to take it Friday morning. Fingers crossed.

franktastic1

Hey guys, I took the ASTB back on June 30th but my account didn't get approved on here until now. I got a 61 7/6/6. I feel pretty good about it, and my recruiter likes my chances for SNA, so fingers crossed! Went through MEPS at the end of July and got my package together without any hiccups, now I'm just waiting.

I studied by looking at the gouges and practice tests posted here, and I found that the info on the exam was very very similar to what I found here. Airwarriors is your best friend. I'd also recommend the cram app for ANIT flashcards. There's one set that has like 500 flashcards and I found those to be useful for memorization.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Hey guys. Looking for some ASBT info on helicopters for the ANTI.

Currently studying my butt off for the ASBT. Looking to be an SNA (1st) or NFO (2nd). I've studied pretty much all the resources from the website and I got planes and boats down well. Where can I find some info on the helicopter related questions/info?

Hey guys, I took the ASTB back on June 30th but my account didn't get approved on here until now. I got a 61 7/6/6. I feel pretty good about it, and my recruiter likes my chances for SNA, so fingers crossed! Went through MEPS at the end of July and got my package together without any hiccups, now I'm just waiting.

I studied by looking at the gouges and practice tests posted here, and I found that the info on the exam was very very similar to what I found here. Airwarriors is your best friend. I'd also recommend the cram app for ANIT flashcards. There's one set that has like 500 flashcards and I found those to be useful for memorization.
By gouges do you mean peoples account of the test that can be found in Kyle's study folder? Like what are you referring too specifically

Hey guys. Looking for some ASBT info on helicopters for the ANTI.

Currently studying my butt off for the ASBT. Looking to be an SNA (1st) or NFO (2nd). I've studied pretty much all the resources from the website and I got planes and boats down well. Where can I find some info on the helicopter related questions/info?
https://www.triviumtestprep.com/astb-practice-test

This practice test has a lot of helicopter related questions.

rayg36

A quick question last I was told my OR class sizes have been reduced due to about half due to COVID any update to anyone further along in the process are your ship outdates further like a year or 8 months out due to COVID? Is MEPS, paperwork, or boards a hassle with the pandemic still continuing on? Feel free to respond with any information.

exNavyOffRec

A quick question last I was told my OR class sizes have been reduced due to about half due to COVID any update to anyone further along in the process are your ship outdates further like a year or 8 months out due to COVID? Is MEPS, paperwork, or boards a hassle with the pandemic still continuing on? Feel free to respond with any information.
That was correct, if you search you will see they bumped them back up again

flyin_peacock1

So I just took my second ASTB, I got a 6,5,6 this time around. Ik some of ya'll think that's an atrociously low score (trust me I think so too) but it's hell of a lot better than my first time taking it. I'm in NROTC and I was wondering if these scores would be enough for me to select NFO because I honestly would be so happy for that. I still have one chance at the ASTB but that one will be so pressurized since it's my last chance and whatever score I get I'm stuck with. So an answer about that NFO questions would be great. Also, if it isn't high enough, does anyone know if there's a waiver process?

don158

Finally got my account approved after a few months! Took the OAR back in June and got a 66, GPA 3.1 with majors in Computer Science and Math, applying for Intel. Most of my studying was from Kyle's guide, my only major tip is to be careful with the flash cards and study guides on here because a lot of them are just plain wrong. The reading was probably the worst section for me because of how dry the material is, the only memorable math question(s) was one about perfect numbers and a few about water displacement from several objects of different shapes. Mechanical had a lot of questions about the speed of sound so might want to brush up on that.

Finally got my account approved after a few months! Took the OAR back in June and got a 66, GPA 3.1 with majors in Computer Science and Math, applying for Intel. Most of my studying was from Kyle's guide, my only major tip is to be careful with the flash cards and study guides on here because a lot of them are just plain wrong. The reading was probably the worst section for me because of how dry the material is, the only memorable math question(s) was one about perfect numbers and a few about water displacement from several objects of different shapes. Mechanical had a lot of questions about the speed of sound so might want to brush up on that.
How did u calculate the water displacement? And did you see any examples like that anywhere we could use to study?

FlyCorbitt

SNFO PRO-Y
Good Afternoon, my name is Garland Corbitt I recently just took my 1st attempt at the ASTB and got a 45 5/5/5 and know that is a bad score, but I wanted to see how I could do. I just gained access to this forum via approval and would like any help. I want to submit my package in Dec of this year but am waiting to start until I get my results back after my 2nd attempt in Oct. Any help is appreciated. Thank You, my college degree was a bachelors of Science and I finished with a 3.1 GPA. My 1st option is NFO and my 2nd is Pilot.

BDavis11

Contributor
Good Afternoon, my name is Garland Corbitt I recently just took my 1st attempt at the ASTB and got a 45 5/5/5 and know that is a bad score, but I wanted to see how I could do. I just gained access to this forum via approval and would like any help. I want to submit my package in Dec of this year but am waiting to start until I get my results back after my 2nd attempt in Oct. Any help is appreciated. Thank You, my college degree was a bachelors of Science and I finished with a 3.1 GPA. My 1st option is NFO and my 2nd is Pilot.
search for kyles gouges bro. I am in the same boat going for the dec deadline.