• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Danielle29

From my earlier post:

Last but not least for the PBM section, Emergencies:
So while not talked about a lot, this section is the final section of the test and your scores will be calculated the second after this test finishes.

While you are doing the vertical and 2d tracking, you have three different emergencies that could happen (Engine, Fire and Propeller.) My piece of advice is write down the reaction to the emergencies on the scratch paper provided and set in front of you to look at once you get the first warning of an emergency (flash of red with the emergency highlighted.) These included for a fire you set the engine rpm to 0%, the fuel to 0% and pressed the clutch button. Engine, rpm to 100%, fuel to 100% and press the clutch button. Last it was propeller, set engine to 100% and fuel to 50% and press the button. Place priority on finishing the emergency as fast as possible and either you can track the aircraft this whole time or finish the emergency and go back to tracking to wait for the next one to appear. Mine all happened within about 3 seconds of finishing the last and I would say I did a pretty good job of tracking while the emergencies persisted.
Thank you so much for this input!!

NICELY done! I applaud you! Quick question, when you took the test, did you have any practice time for the emergency section of the PBM? And did you do BI-RV at all? When I took my first test, I didn't get that at all and I'm not sure if I should bring it up before I ask someone here!
Thank you! And no, there was no practice time for the emergency section.

Danielle29

Can someone please explain what the reading section is trying to look for? When I took it, it gave me a paragraph then four choices that's similar to each other and relates to the paragraph? Thank you!

seattleite

I finally took the test this week, both happy that it's over and a little bummed because I didn't meet my goal score.

It's been said before, but you are going to feel like you are failing. I had easy reading problem after easy reading problem, and some of the Aviation questions seemed impossible and some were more like "Do airplanes have wings." I actually almost quit after the OAR portion because I thought I was doing so poorly, I thought I would study more and hit it again in November.

Study the Gouge on here, buy at least 3 different practice books and do all of the practice tests. Don't write in your answer books, that way you can do them over and over again without psyching yourself out.

Practice your UAV cards, get so you can do that whole set of 65 flashcards in under 3 minutes.

Also, I absolutely failed at the practical part of the PBM. I don't play video games, and I spent half my time trying to get the throttle to stay attached to the desk. Focus on the even/odd numbers in your ears. I repeated the value in the ear I was listening to out loud, (this part runs slow so you have time) and I think that really helped. As far as the "Flipped Axis" that everyone talks about, don't think about it like that. Instead, pretend you're in a jet looking at the tail end of a jet in front of you. That other jet is the dot on your screen. Your screen is a giant Attitude indicator, with the horizon right through the center of it, Note: there is actually no horizontal line through the screen, you have to make that part up on your own. The jet is above the halfway mark on your screen, he's above you and you're going to need to pull up to catch him. If he's below the halfway mark, push yourself over to catch up with him below you.

A note about the math section, I got two pieces of paper in the room, and I almost asked for more because I like to write my thoughts out. I had to erase notes on the break to get more space. If you know you like to write out your thoughts, make sure you have more than one piece of paper in there. You'll need space to make your compass for the UAV portion and write out the emergency procedures for the flight.

Anyway, good luck folks :) ASTB: 73 9/7/8

seattleite

Can someone please explain what the reading section is trying to look for? When I took it, it gave me a paragraph then four choices that's similar to each other and relates to the paragraph? Thank you!
You're just looking for the only statement that is true based on what is ACTUALLY STATED in the document. Make sure you don't infer anything, if they don't tell you that Mars is smaller than Saturn, you can't choose an answer that says that.

Codeman98

I finally took the test this week, both happy that it's over and a little bummed because I didn't meet my goal score.

It's been said before, but you are going to feel like you are failing. I had easy reading problem after easy reading problem, and some of the Aviation questions seemed impossible and some were more like "Do airplanes have wings." I actually almost quit after the OAR portion because I thought I was doing so poorly, I thought I would study more and hit it again in November.

Study the Gouge on here, buy at least 3 different practice books and do all of the practice tests. Don't write in your answer books, that way you can do them over and over again without psyching yourself out.

Practice your UAV cards, get so you can do that whole set of 65 flashcards in under 3 minutes.

Also, I absolutely failed at the practical part of the PBM. I don't play video games, and I spent half my time trying to get the throttle to stay attached to the desk. Focus on the even/odd numbers in your ears. I repeated the value in the ear I was listening to out loud, (this part runs slow so you have time) and I think that really helped. As far as the "Flipped Axis" that everyone talks about, don't think about it like that. Instead, pretend you're in a jet looking at the tail end of a jet in front of you. That other jet is the dot on your screen. Your screen is a giant Attitude indicator, with the horizon right through the center of it, Note: there is actually no horizontal line through the screen, you have to make that part up on your own. The jet is above the halfway mark on your screen, he's above you and you're going to need to pull up to catch him. If he's below the halfway mark, push yourself over to catch up with him below you.

A note about the math section, I got two pieces of paper in the room, and I almost asked for more because I like to write my thoughts out. I had to erase notes on the break to get more space. If you know you like to write out your thoughts, make sure you have more than one piece of paper in there. You'll need space to make your compass for the UAV portion and write out the emergency procedures for the flight.

Anyway, good luck folks :) ASTB: 73 9/7/8
Thanks for the post, do you remember what kind of math problems you got?

seattleite

Thanks for the post, do you remember what kind of math problems you got?
Lots of simplifying equations, logs and probability. I had a few rate/time and lots of volume/area questions. They give you volume/are equations so you don't need to use brain space on those. I didn't get any matrix questions, but I read they are more common now.

Danielle29

Hey guys

Does anyone know and explain what’s the appendix bravo? I tried looking online and the book given to me but I’m really unsure and want to study about it. Thanks!

wcisel77

Hello Airwarriors!

I’ve used this site pretty extensively the past month or two preparing for my test and now that it’s finally over I feel as though I owe the community a huge thank you and some insight to my experience that may offer some others some much needed help. My main study material used was the Barron’s ASTB test prep, Youtube, Kahns Academy, and lastly this amazing forum.

Took the test on October 9th for the first time and scored a 55 7/8/8

Math Skills Test

I was pretty behind the game studying for this, I’m 29 years old and haven’t taken a math class in quite some time. With that being said I started off using the Barron’s ASTB prep book that so many others have mentioned before. I went over the math section until I knew how to do every problem and this involved a lot of hours on YouTube, and Kahn’s academy…I’m almost embarrassed to say the first day I was googling how to do long division again – yes it was that bad. Now that we’re all carrying around cellphones with calculators it’s not very often we do problems by hand anymore. I will say that these test prep books WILL NOT prepare you as much as you need for the test but they are a good start. I’ll attach another study guide I found from these forums at the bottom that’s more advanced you will need to know. Pay particular attention to probability, exponent equations, averages of #’s, and DTR problems. I didn’t see any logarithm questions, but that’s probably because I wasn’t doing good enough to get them. Also keep in mind there’s a formulas tab on the side that’s available during your math test that tells you the formulas for a lot of geometry problems and Pi which is helpful because you don’t need to memorize it.

Reading Comprehension Test

There’s really nothing to say here other than the paragraphs are long and extremely dry mostly relating to the military. My advice is to take your time and read the material carefully. Go over the answers one by one and rule them out. ONLY USE the knowledge gained in the paragraph to answer the questions, don’t assume anything or use outside knowledge. I only used the two-practice test in the Barron’s book to prepare for this portion. I also ran out of time on this section, but I was going for accuracy over speed.

Mechanical Comprehension

The Barron’s prep book does an excellent job preparing you for this section, but take it a step further and learn about Pulleys, and Levers (know all 3 types) especially. Know how to calculate the distance to balance a fulcrum with two weights on either end. Also know about Bernoulli’s law which comes into play for the ANIT section as well. Overall for myself this section is a lot of common-sense type problems and questions. If you understand problems that say “If this happens, what will this do” you should be okay here.

Aviation and Nautical Information

For this section I used the Barron’s book again, and a set of flash cards that I’ll have to give credit to someone else for making on this forum. Additionally, from someone else’s recommendation I also used the FAA Pilot’s handbook of Aeronautical knowledge. Know every single part of the aircraft and exactly what it does and what effect it will have on the plane. You’ll also need to know about general airspace knowledge as well as the history of naval aviation which I think is covered pretty well in the note cards I’ll link at the bottom. This section isn’t just about planes though, you will be asked about ship terms as well so be prepared for that. Overall, I think I did the best in this section or at least I was the most confident.

Naval Aviation Trait Facet Inventory

This section just sucks and there’s no preparing for it. You will choose between two answers that describe you and the answers they give you are pretty horrible and most likely won’t ever be what you actually would do. However, you just need to pick the best answer.

PBM

You’ll start with the spatial orientation tests, which if you follow the advice of everyone and just use the damn compass trick, you’ll ace this section. That’s all I did and I managed to get every one in about 1.2-1.5 seconds with only 1 mistake.

Dichotic listening – I just removed the earmuff that wasn’t my target ear and it made this extremely easy. It’s a little tricky to do when you’re tracking the targets and listening at the same time, but if you’re quick enough I think it makes this section a breeze.

Tracking – I bought a stick and throttle and played some hours on Warthunder, but I’m not sure how much it helped because the actually PBM is just different in general. It was nice to already have a feel of the controls though. So overall, I would say it definitely helped me in that aspect. I will say again what everyone has before me – this section is rough and it’s going to be a complete mess, but just stay calm and continue tracking the targets as best as you can. Don’t give up and just stick through with it to the end. At times I was no where near either target and still scored very well on this section. DON’T FORGET to write your emergency procedures down and do them quickly and accurately. I stopped tracking completely and took care of the emergencies in about 2-3 seconds then went back to tracking.

Below is all the study material I used, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask and sorry about the novel I posted. I hope someone can use this and benefit from it, like I benefited from so many others experiences before me. Last but not least, the biggest wealth of knowledge is on these forums. I gained more from these forums then I did form any single study material.

Thank you again everyone, I couldn’t have done it without you!

UAV Flash cards - https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=_36014
ANIT Flash cards - https://www.cram.com/flashcards/astb-aviation-nautical-information-test-anit-comprehensive-4718163

Attachments

• OAR Math Guide 2018 (1).docx
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • astb math to know.docx
    13.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Radicals and Rational Exponents.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 49
  • ASTB additional study material (1).pdf
    630 KB · Views: 35
  • ANIT gouge.pdf
    145.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Distance Rate Time Word Problems.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 62
  • ASTBmechanical.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 59
  • ANIT Practice Test 2.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • Meaning of Logarithms.pdf
    33.1 KB · Views: 42
  • ASTBgouge.pdf
    473.1 KB · Views: 53

E6BFlightComp

Hey guys

Does anyone know and explain what’s the appendix bravo? I tried looking online and the book given to me but I’m really unsure and want to study about it. Thanks!

Appendix Bravo isn't really relevant for the ASTB unless you just want to get a jumpstart on studying for Officer School. It details everything from the Code of Conduct to the General Orders of a Sentry to the Navy Songs you must memorize.

Brand0034

I know this is a simple question but I don't understand why the book says the answer is (A). It counts 12 people per plane then divides 132/12.
The question states 132 ENLISTED MEN which is equivalent to the 11 enlisted men in the first sentence. You shouldn't count the NCO's within the 132 enlisted men if the first sentence says 11 enlisted plus 1 NCO.

wcisel77

View attachment 23241
I know this is a simple question but I don't understand why the book says the answer is (A). It counts 12 people per plane then divides 132/12.
The question states 132 ENLISTED MEN which is equivalent to the 11 enlisted men in the first sentence. You shouldn't count the NCO's within the 132 enlisted men if the first sentence says 11 enlisted plus 1 NCO.

NCOs are enlisted, it's counting them in the 132

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hello all!
I plan to have my package submitted for the December deadline and find out the results this upcoming January but any insight to my chances or what I could do to help my chances would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

@Mike9595 I moved your post here and sent you a message as to why. Your post is in the wrong place. Please stop reposting here as it's not the intent of this thread.

mmhoang1

Finally, it is my turn to spread the love.

Just took the ASTB an hour ago, and I got a 60 8/8/8
I will be applying for SNA/NFO
26 years old, E-6 (AE1) with 5-year active duty.
BS in Electrical Technology (engineering), 3.86 GPA.

For the MST, it started out easy, then super hard. Mostly DRT, geometry, find the 6th and 7th test, and exponent questions. I can name a few on top of my head. 32^(3/5)...(8) If f(x)=6, what is x if f(x)=3(1/4)^x... x=-1/2... Sally drives 60mph for 40 mins on the first leg, 20mph for 30 minutes on the 2 the second leg. What did she drive for the 3rd leg if it was the 10 less than the average of the first hour of driving? A cube's volume is x, and each side is extended so its new volume is 2x. How much was each side extend? I pick 1.260 ish. I got kicked out around 32 minutes in.

For the RST, I'm pretty sure this brought my OAR down, but I do not care. Halfway through I start questioned my ability to read. LOL. Just used the process of elimination and cross off obvious incorrect answer.

For the MCT, it was a lot of Bernoulli effect theory. I had one MA of an inclined plane, pulley, and level. This section was the easiest.

NAFTI, I think they this is put here to fuck with you. Reading and answering 99 questions wears you out. Honestly, I feel like my score would have been the same if I just chose the top choice without reading.

ANIT, I had a couple of off the wall questions. What is the scale of the VFR section charts? 1:500,000. Know the TBF avenger (torpedo bomber), Air commander reports to super CAG (i think), A-24 dauntless (famous dive bomber), all the parts of boats, beam, orlop, and poop deck. How many gallons of fuel are in 80 lbs? (13.3). One of the questions was confusing. What is the tendency for air aircraft to return or move away from its original position? Answers were 1) positive dynamic stability, 2) positive static stability, 3) neutral static stability, 4) negative static stability.
PBM. Use the UAV notecards.
Emergency procedures go like this
FIRE- E knob down, I-knob down, clutch
ENGINE- E knob up, I-knob up, clutch
Propeller- Leave E-knob alone, I-knob up, clutch.
I absolutely hated the PBM. My proctor came in during the tracking and dichotic listening combo and was watching me... Pretty sure he was laughing.

Anyways, what I said is probably just a repeat of other posts. I hope this can help you more.
Here is a list of the top 10% scorers. Go back and make notes of what they said!!!!

Physbrah ... post #3024 ... score 77 9/8/9
Highspeedlowdrag ... post #3895 ... score 72 9/8/9
KSHEA ... post # 3896 ... score 8/8/8
Jacob1789 ... post # 3878 ... score 72 9/9/9
Christopher todd ... post # 4067... score 69 9/7/8
Rudygoff10 ... post # 4205 ... score 73 9/9/9
Bunny_0329 ... post # 4360 ... score 65 8/8/8
TheByrd ... post # 4410 ... score 68 8/8/8
Gogged ... post # 4419 ... score 62 8/9/7
Krempaps ... post # 4428 ... score 65 9/9/9
MG98 ... post #4449 ... score 76 9/6/8
Lonewandered ... post # 4462 ... score 65 8/8/8
CHOPS_AVN ... post # 4509 ... score 64 9/9/9
Dbutterfield ... post # 4531 ... score 65 8/8/8
Wangj ... post # 4574 .... score 68 9/8/8
CAM119 ... post # 4610 ... score 68 8/7/8
Themessinger .... post # 4652 .... score 64 8/7/7
Jeffersjack .... post # 4720 ... score 69 9/9/8
Dallaslayman ... post # 4751 ... score 67 9/8/8
Bakewipa ... post # 4765 ... score 66 8/7/8
Osprey98 ... post # 4798 ... score 63 9/8/9
Solo7 ... post # 4808 ... score 72 8/8/8
Swmonroe88 ... post # 4883 ... score 71 9/9/9
Sandor ... post # 4885... score 73 9/8/7
SRP_4737 ... post # 4956 ... score 70 9/9/9
Sgroof ... post # 4973 .... score 67 9/9/8
WilliamCarrick ...post # 5028 ... score 67 9/9/9
nfoles18 .... post # 5049 .... score 7/7/7
Mattdavid1234 .... post # 5132 ... score 67 9/8/9

I hope this helps because without, I would have 100 percent failed this exam.
Thank you to everyone on this forum

Brand0034

Is the Reading comprehension just questions about the passage? Barron's has vocabulary for that section of the ASTB.
Also are lbs/oz, cup/pint/gallon given? Not a big deal to memorize but don't want to be thrown some curveball where it gives pints and asks for ounces or tbsp.