• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Beardog768

Quick question I need help clarifying, "If you had two barrels of water with the same amount, one is 120 F and the other is 50 F, which one would float higher? Is it the one that is 120F?

Pipper Attache

+1 to Barron's, just took the ASTB-E for the first time and scored an 8,9,8.

Can't truly prepare yourself for it more than being familiar with the UAV test by using a scratch sheet to practice bearings. The throttle and joystick section, along with the listening, is mostly prepared for through years of playing video games.

OperationChungus

pilot
The throttle and joystick section, along with the listening, is mostly prepared for through years of playing video games.

100% true. A few years ago I got to fly a 60 with an HSC squadron in Norfolk during my aviation cruise and it felt no different than flying the little bird in BF3 on the Xbox 360 lol. The CDR who I was flying with that day asked if I had flown helos before and I told him nope, just video games. The muscle memory helps, but so does knowing how to do the math, reading, and mechanical sections.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
100% true. A few years ago I got to fly a 60 with an HSC squadron in Norfolk during my aviation cruise and it felt no different than flying the little bird in BF3 on the Xbox 360 lol. The CDR who I was flying with that day asked if I had flown helos before and I told him nope, just video games. The muscle memory helps, but so does knowing how to do the math, reading, and mechanical sections.

If this had been me, the conversation would have quickly been followed with me turning off the SAS. "Okay Tiffany Garcia, let's see how you do now."

Justice22293

Hello all! Not sure what everyone’s experience with Barron’s Military Flight Aptitude Tests 2nd Edition is like; however, I feel like I’m questioning everything I know about gears after getting this question wrong. I got an answer of 5 rpm for gear B. Can anyone explain how I’m wrong or is the book wrong? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48

gabriellehale

Hello all! Not sure what everyone’s experience with Barron’s Military Flight Aptitude Tests 2nd Edition is like; however, I feel like I’m questioning everything I know about gears after getting this question wrong. I got an answer of 5 rpm for gear B. Can anyone explain how I’m wrong or is the book wrong? Thanks in advance!
That is weird... my barrons book has a similar question, it says gear B turns at a rate of 40 rotations per second, how fast will gear A turn?
the explanation and answer: Gear A has 40 teeth and gear B has 10 teeth. Each time gear B turns once its 10 teeth push Gear A, which makes gear A move only one quarter turns. So gear A turns one fourth as fast as B. Judging by the 40 times a second you set it up as 40/4=10.

I personally dont get it either but this explanation seems slightly easier than the one you got.

gabriellehale

HEY, does anyone have any recommendations for accessing NASIS on mac? I did the safari user develop agent thing and it still won’t let me in. My recruiter gave me a username and password, however the website asks for email and password... very confused and hate to keep asking for a reset.

gabriellehale

Question again... I’ve seen two different answers. If you swim across a stream perpendicular to the banks what is your final position from initial? I see directly across and I see downstream. I would like to think it’s downstream ?

TlaurenS93

Tyler Lauren
Hello again everyone,

Would someone please help me understand how to solve this problem.. this is on Carlos Miros Oar math practice guide, #25..

1) If the tax rate is 3 1/2% and the amount to be raised is $6440, what is the base?

* I see that they got .035 on the worksheet to solve the problem .. but when converting the fractional percentage into a decimal I got 350. I’m totally lost.. someone please tell me where I’m wrong.

Thanks!

Rahul Gupta

Hello again everyone,

Would someone please help me understand how to solve this problem.. this is on Carlos Miros Oar math practice guide, #25..

1) If the tax rate is 3 1/2% and the amount to be raised is $6440, what is the base?

* I see that they got .035 on the worksheet to solve the problem .. but when converting the fractional percentage into a decimal I got 350. I’m totally lost.. someone please tell me where I’m wrong.

Thanks!
So when converting a percent to a decimal ALWAYS divide by 100! So, 3.5% = 3.5/100 = .035 (essentially just move the decimal 2 places to the left) I would just keep it in fraction form to keep the math easy so: 3.5/100

Now to solve the problem...
First set up your equation lets call the base x, then we have: (3.5/100)*(x) = 6440
=> 3.5*x = 644,000 (I multiplied both sides by 100)
=> x = (644,000)/3.5
=> x = 184,000 is your answer!

Rahul Gupta

Also,

If an aircraft is traveling at 630 miles per hour. How many miles does it cover in 1200 seconds?
For this problem you need to have a solid understanding of conversion factors! Just google some basic math conversion for common knowledge otherwise the astbe usually gives em to you on the test within the question. Anyhow here's how you go about it....
1 hour = 3600 seconds
So the way to make this process work is to start with what your given, the easiest way to go about this is to see if the units cancels out correctly! So....
=> 630 miles per hours * (1 hour/ 3600 seconds) = 7/40 miles per seconds (notice how the hours cancel each other out)
Now you just take the 1200 seconds and multiply it to the new rate in order to find the number of miles it travels!
=> 7/40 miles/seconds * 1200 seconds = 210 miles (notice how the seconds cancel each other out in the calculation)

Last edited: