• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

gabriellehale

The Barron's book and the gouge on here should be more than enough to suffice

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AvPi5oH_h_13TGajDvflDWkftwXO8LS6

Cool! thanks much. I have the Dallas guide and then one from a former poster I believe Snyder? Both have been great... unfortunately found out about the Dallas one about 2 weeks from testing. So now i have buckled down, seems like the pro profs sight is full of mistakes or missing words within the questions. Downloaded your google drive now tho!

OperationChungus

pilot
Barron's book is what I used as well. Went back to around page 200 and just read through it. I recall seeing questions that members had posted in the forum on the actual ASTB (particularly the question on the probability of rolling a number other than one on a six sided die AND drawing a heart-card from a deck). You'd honestly be fine not spending any money and going off the gouge found here.

Reading - I struggled on every question. Pretty sure that's what bogged down my OAR score. I've got nothing.

Mechanical - Definitely use the forum gouge. I didn't practice too much on this one since I've got a background in engineering, but I did review pulleys and MA. After the test I went through the printed documents I have from the forum and definitely saw lots of questions I had just encountered.

ANIT and the UAV section are pretty easy to improve by practicing the flashcards and working on speed and accuracy. On the exam itself, I found that by being pretty aggressive and calling out the directions when I heard it in my headset (no one was testing in my room so I wasn't bothering anyone), I could get really fast. I didn't miss a single one and my times were all below 2.5 seconds. Again, it comes with practice.

As for the dichotic listening,
this video was helpful.

I've played a lot of DCS (digital combat simulator) and have spent quite a bit of time trying (and failing) to land on the carrier in the Hornet. I honestly believe that constantly manipulating the throttle and trying to fly the ball helped me so much on the PBM section. I paired trying to land on the carrier with the dichotic listening video and I didn't struggle too much with that section.

If you want to improve on your tracking with a joystick, I'd recommend downloading joytokey. It maps your joystick to your mouse and I used it to practice in a free Steam game called Aim Lab. It's meant for first person shooter gamers to warm up and improve their mouse tracking. The game is great since you can change the type of tracking you want to do - horizontal/horizontal+vertical etc. Pair it with the dichotic listening video and you're set.

The stick that I used on test day was a Saitek X52. I used to own one about 10 years ago and noticed that the tensioner/resistance knob was disengaged for the throttle so you won't be able to adjust it.

gabriellehale

Barron's book is what I used as well. Went back to around page 200 and just read through it. I recall seeing questions that members had posted in the forum on the actual ASTB (particularly the question on the probability of rolling a number other than one on a six sided die AND drawing a heart-card from a deck). You'd honestly be fine not spending any money and going off the gouge found here.

Reading - I struggled on every question. Pretty sure that's what bogged down my OAR score. I've got nothing.

Mechanical - Definitely use the forum gouge. I didn't practice too much on this one since I've got a background in engineering, but I did review pulleys and MA. After the test I went through the printed documents I have from the forum and definitely saw lots of questions I had just encountered.

ANIT and the UAV section are pretty easy to improve by practicing the flashcards and working on speed and accuracy. On the exam itself, I found that by being pretty aggressive and calling out the directions when I heard it in my headset (no one was testing in my room so I wasn't bothering anyone), I could get really fast. I didn't miss a single one and my times were all below 2.5 seconds. Again, it comes with practice.

As for the dichotic listening,
this video was helpful.

I've played a lot of DCS (digital combat simulator) and have spent quite a bit of time trying (and failing) to land on the carrier in the Hornet. I honestly believe that constantly manipulating the throttle and trying to fly the ball helped me so much on the PBM section. I paired trying to land on the carrier with the dichotic listening video and I didn't struggle too much with that section.

If you want to improve on your tracking with a joystick, I'd recommend downloading joytokey. It maps your joystick to your mouse and I used it to practice in a free Steam game called Aim Lab. It's meant for first person shooter gamers to warm up and improve their mouse tracking. The game is great since you can change the type of tracking you want to do - horizontal/horizontal+vertical etc. Pair it with the dichotic listening video and you're set.

The stick that I used on test day was a Saitek X52. I used to own one about 10 years ago and noticed that the tensioner/resistance knob was disengaged for the throttle so you won't be able to adjust it.

Cool thanks! Yeah reading was not my strong suit either! I can tell bc that’s the section where the questions kept getting easier and kept me in the longest lmao

TlaurenS93

Tyler Lauren
Can someone help me with these problems, I would appreciate it!

1) If P pencils cost 2D dollars, how many pencils can be bought for c cents?

2) The average of two numbers is A. If one of the numbers is x, the other number is

3) 1/a + 1/b = 1/c

I have the answers, I'm just having a really hard time understanding how to solve...

alohse

Ive taken the test but want to make sure with the studying for round 2, lots of study guides with math that seems too advanced to be asked.
Ive taken both the ASVAB and the OAR portion of the ASTB and they are not the same. OAR is much more difficult as far as math is concerned.

browntown

Can someone help me with these problems, I would appreciate it!

1) If P pencils cost 2D dollars, how many pencils can be bought for c cents?

2) The average of two numbers is A. If one of the numbers is x, the other number is

3) 1/a + 1/b = 1/c

I have the answers, I'm just having a really hard time understanding how to solve...

1)

1d = 100c, so...

p = 200c

Now solve for c.

2)

(x+y) / 2 = a

Solve for y.

3)

Solve for whichever variable the question asked. :D

gabriellehale

Couple of ?’s (don’t judge me!)
  1. One of my study books has the ice skater ex and asks if the ice skater jumps and tucks her arms in how is her angular momentum: increase or decrease.. so my book says increase however the study guides I have seen say conserved momentum.. help!
  2. Two barrels floating on water... the one with the colder liquid floats higher... need help with this one.. I thought colder water was more dense than warm water and heat rises? So I am confused there.

OperationChungus

pilot
Couple of ?’s (don’t judge me!)
  1. One of my study books has the ice skater ex and asks if the ice skater jumps and tucks her arms in how is her angular momentum: increase or decrease.. so my book says increase however the study guides I have seen say conserved momentum.. help!
  2. Two barrels floating on water... the one with the colder liquid floats higher... need help with this one.. I thought colder water was more dense than warm water and heat rises? So I am confused there.

1. When a figure skater brings in their arms, their angular velocity increases. The angular momentum will not change due to the law of the conservation of angular momentum. L = mvr.

2. Cold water is more dense than hot water, therefore the barrel with the cold water will float lower.

Beardog768

1. When a figure skater brings in their arms, their angular velocity increases. The angular momentum will not change due to the law of the conservation of angular momentum. L = mvr.

2. Cold water is more dense than hot water, therefore the barrel with the cold water will float lower.

Wait, so the cold one would sink more? The one on the study guide Is wrong?