• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Ghayd44

Keep Going
The aviation and naval section on the app is dense. I’m taking the test on the 29th. There’s a lot of stuff here to learn. I have some knowledge thanks to another prep book but I’m intimidated. What’s the best way to absorb this stuff. Usually reading it once and testing myself is enough but I’m unsure here.
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about soaking in every thing the app has. Go through the app syllabus, do a couple of practice tests, but keep in my mind a lot of the stuff on the app you will not see on the test. You'll see some things that are similar, but don't stress too much about getting every little thing down. Focus more on the basics of everything and getting a good understanding of those things (parts of a boat/plane, what controls what on a plane, how lift is created, etc). Once you are done with the app syllabus, go to Kyle and Gomez's drives and read every thing in them. Again, you don't need to know everything in them by heart, but reading through them will help with the overall understanding of the topic. That's my two cents.

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about soaking in every thing the app has. Go through the app syllabus, do a couple of practice tests, but keep in my mind a lot of the stuff on the app you will not see on the test. You'll see some things that are similar, but don't stress too much about getting every little thing down. Focus more on the basics of everything and getting a good understanding of those things (parts of a boat/plane, what controls what on a plane, how lift is created, etc). Once you are done with the app syllabus, go to Kyle and Gomez's drives and read every thing in them. Again, you don't need to know everything in them by heart, but reading through them will help with the overall understanding of the topic. That's my two cents.
This is a great piece of advice. Although the app has a wealth of information, keep in mind that there are only 20 potential questions for the aviation section on the actual exam. I strongly suggest using all the flashcard databases available online to prepare for the A&N Test, along with the syllabus in the app, and then using the testing feature in the app to become familiar with the format. Focus on the basics.

AWG-9

What's up Air Warriors, really appreciate everyone's input. Prior CTT here did 4 years got out and got my BSBA 3.4 GPA now working in Finance stuck in a cubicle... I'm determined to go to flight school. So I took the ASTB this past Friday scored 5/5/5. I used both Gomez and Kyle drives, Trivium test book (which is alright) and a fair bit of the FAA handbook. I felt pretty confident on the ANIT section but there were certainly some questions that stumped me including a question about carburetor icing and another about which answer is not considered a ship/boat . After scouring online there doesn't seem to be a common consensus on this and I'm starting to think it can occur at any temp which was one of the answers provided. For those of you who did well how many questions did you get through/ how much time left etc? As for the math portion I've never been the greatest at standardized tests and I know this will take further practice but how many problems should you expect to get through to score well in this section? Cheers.

Bluetango15

Just took the ASTB-E for the first time today. I’m currently enlisted in the NG as a blackhawk mechanic and finishing up my bachelors (current GPA 3.5/4.0)

I scored 55 7/8/7

The hardest parts for me were:

The reading sections (just because of how long the passages were and how little variation there was between answer choices).

The terrain association for me was also very difficult to grasp. And guessing the degrees in between really threw me off. However, I did get everything correct on the UAV portion with directions by using the compass trick.

For the simulator aspect the joystick was very stiff for me and wore out my arms easily. But after bit of practice I was having fun and just following the directions.

mmandziak

hey fellow applicants! I was hoping someone could point me in the proper direction for studying for the mechanical portion of the test. I don't remember a single thing from high school physics. I have the barron's book, astb prep app, and can use khan academy. But I don't know which is best?

bendaggs

hey fellow applicants! I was hoping someone could point me in the proper direction for studying for the mechanical portion of the test. I don't remember a single thing from high school physics. I have the barron's book, astb prep app, and can use khan academy. But I don't know which is best?
I used the Barron's book and some Kieno Thomas on Youtube.

bryandreis

Just took the ASTB-E for the first time today. I’m currently enlisted in the NG as a blackhawk mechanic and finishing up my bachelors (current GPA 3.5/4.0)

I scored 55 7/8/7

The hardest parts for me were:

The reading sections (just because of how long the passages were and how little variation there was between answer choices).

The terrain association for me was also very difficult to grasp. And guessing the degrees in between really threw me off. However, I did get everything correct on the UAV portion with directions by using the compass trick.

For the simulator aspect the joystick was very stiff for me and wore out my arms easily. But after bit of practice I was having fun and just following the directions.
Question for you: Did you complete all of the math questions in the math section? Did you answer all of the questions?