• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Hey all ... couple questions here. My application is mostly complete but I'm running into a long MEPS delay. My recruiter is saying its due to COVID. Has anyone in the Southern California area experienced this? I submitted my 2807 over a month ago. I only ask because I'm hearing from one of my buddies that just did enlisted MEPS at the same facility that he had no problem getting an appointment.

Question #2, My recruiter has mentioned a "rolling aviation board" that meets as needed, sometimes even monthly, once they have enough pilot applicants. Does anyone have any more information on how this board is convened?
So it looks like I won't make the deadline for today but here are my stats.

I know being prior service myself that we have to send in all of our medical records, I think my pre-screen took a couple weeks to be accepted and reviewed because it was a couple hundred pages. The difference may be that your friend wasn't prior service or didn't submit a huge medical document for pre-screening?

I agree with exNavyOffRec, that doesn't sound right about what the recruiter is telling you about the boards. The SNA/NFO board has had a set schedule for the whole year with the exception of the earlier ones being pushed for COVID but we're not doing rolling boards.

Maybe talk to another recruiter and see what they say?

jkeikot

Hey all!

Good luck to everyone! I am applying for SNA and SNFO

OAR: 53
ASTB: 7/7/7
GPA: 3.5
Prior Service: No
LOR: Active OF-9, College professor who is on the board of Trustees, Marine and, Former Boss

My recruiter thinks it a great score but looking at everyone else’s, I'm not so sure. I took the ASTB today for the first time today and was just able to submit my application in time. Not sure if I should think about retaking the test, any thoughts?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Hey all!

Good luck to everyone! I am applying for SNA and SNFO

OAR: 53
ASTB: 7/7/7
GPA: 3.5
Prior Service: No
LOR: Active OF-9, College professor who is on the board of Trustees, Marine and, Former Boss

My recruiter thinks it a great score but looking at everyone else’s, I'm not so sure. I took the ASTB today for the first time today and was just able to submit my application in time. Not sure if I should think about retaking the test, any thoughts?

I wouldn't be worried with scores like that. If for some reason you're not selected, worry about it then, and it's probably from something other than the ASTB scores. If that's the case, look at your motivational statement and addendum and optimize it for specific areas of interest related to being a Navy officer first, and taking the ASTB after that is complete.

The lowest I've seen from the May board this year was 41 4/7/6 - Got picked up for SNA. So yeah, definitely not a score thing at some point.
The average selectee was 56 6.68/7.29/7.15 and 3.32GPA. There will be people above and below, but to worry about 7's... Nah

I think you'll be fine if everything else is in good order, Good luck!

jkeikot

I wouldn't be worried with scores like that. If for some reason you're not selected, worry about it then, and it's probably from something other than the ASTB scores. If that's the case, look at your motivational statement and addendum and optimize it for specific areas of interest related to being a Navy officer first, and taking the ASTB after that is complete.

The lowest I've seen from the May board this year was 41 4/7/6 - Got picked up for SNA. So yeah, definitely not a score thing at some point.
The average selectee was 56 6.68/7.29/7.15 and 3.32GPA. There will be people above and below, but to worry about 7's... Nah

Thank you! Good luck to you too!

exNavyOffRec

you have some errors in your data, for SNA do not include FOFAR as that isn't looked at for SNA, for NFO remove the PFAR as that isn't looked at for NFO.

If a person applied for both and was accepted for both then include both, if they applied for both and were only accepted for one than only include the accepted score.

OAR doesn't matter for SNA and FOFAR, it is an interesting data point that is about it.

The person that picked up for SNA that you mention had a 7 that is a decent score for PFAR the other numbers don't matter.

alexng30

OAR doesn't matter for SNA

That's pretty interesting. I was under the impression that the OAR was pretty important as its used to gauge your academic suitability as an officer in general. Is it more the boards simply check to see if you meet the minimum OAR score and that's about it?

That's pretty interesting. I was under the impression that the OAR was pretty important as its used to gauge your academic suitability as an officer in general. Is it more the boards simply check to see if you meet the minimum OAR score and that's about it?

Seems to be that is what the AQR is for.

exNavyOffRec

essentially it is used to make sure you can go to board, now in most cases OAR will track with GPA in recent college grads, a person that has a good GPA will often do well on the OAR.

alexng30

essentially it is used to make sure you can go to board, now in most cases OAR will track with GPA in recent college grads, a person that has a good GPA will often do well on the OAR.
Ah gotcha. I have a pretty mediocre GPA at 3.01 so I'm hoping my 61 8/8/8 can make up for that shortcoming.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
you have some errors in your data, for SNA do not include FOFAR as that isn't looked at for SNA, for NFO remove the PFAR as that isn't looked at for NFO.

If a person applied for both and was accepted for both then include both, if they applied for both and were only accepted for one than only include the accepted score.

OAR doesn't matter for SNA and FOFAR, it is an interesting data point that is about it.

The person that picked up for SNA that you mention had a 7 that is a decent score for PFAR the other numbers don't matter.

That is really interesting. I was thinking along the same lines as the other applicants that at least the OAR and AQR were weighed more heavily perhaps for a tie breaker between candidates etc. Or is that what the motivational statement is for?

That makes sense about the SNA and NFO selection where the other score is really irrelevant depending on the board the package is sitting at.

Maybe the OAR and AQR matter more for other boards like SWO?

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

That is really interesting. I was thinking along the same lines as the other applicants that at least the OAR and AQR were weighed more heavily perhaps for a tie breaker between candidates etc. Or is that what the motivational statement is for?

That makes sense about the SNA and NFO selection where the other score is really irrelevant depending on the board the package is sitting at.

Maybe the OAR and AQR matter more for other boards like SWO?

AQR is only generated for aviation, OAR is really only a get you to the board score, and it allows you to resubmit before 6 months.

They take little time for each application, for most it is a quick scan, often statements aren't read unless there is a waiver to consider. There are hundreds of applications and they are done in 8 hours at most, they don't take much time at all.

Triumph_MAC

AQR is only generated for aviation, OAR is really only a get you to the board score, and it allows you to resubmit before 6 months.

They take little time for each application, for most it is a quick scan, often statements aren't read unless there is a waiver to consider. There are hundreds of applications and they are done in 8 hours at most, they don't take much time at all.
I know I've seen this on Air Warriors before but, with little time to review the applications, what have you seen is the biggest standouts for applications after a quick scan through. I assume the AQR/FOFAR and GPA are big ones. Do interviews play a factor since there isnt too much time to scan through all the LOR's, statements etc?

exNavyOffRec

I know I've seen this on Air Warriors before but, with little time to review the applications, what have you seen is the biggest standouts for applications after a quick scan through. I assume the AQR/FOFAR and GPA are big ones. Do interviews play a factor since there isnt too much time to scan through all the LOR's, statements etc?
SNA would be PFAR, SNFO would be FOFAR

since you are active duty they will look at your appraisals to make sure nothing glaring.

back when recruiters would deal with reservist I saw reservist picked up with evals that were straight P's but had 8 on PFAR, had a guy with officer appraisals of 8 and 9 but a GPA of high 3's and he was picked up. That should give an idea of the weight of LOR's and appraisals.