• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

“Information Warfare Is a Second-Class Commissioning Community”

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Meh - it's a numbers game. If you have a pool of MIDNs that are NPQ for URL designators, then that's an HR no-brainer. Second, once you hit the fleet, commissioning source is 100% irrelevant. Third, and most importantly, the Navy is a platform-centric service. URL officers are those that operate and ultimately command platforms. The IW officers don't operate platforms, won't command them, and shouldn't be URLs. That fact does not make them a second class community. It does make them a valued member of the team, that doesn't happen to operate or command platforms.

Choose your rate, choose your fate.

AULANI

I like that intel-o's come from all over the place. Half my class at NIOBC was either flight attrites or BUDS duds. The mix of backgrounds was refreshing. I don't want a plethora of poli-sci bots straight out of the academy or ROTC in the 1830 community. Too many people thinking the same way is boring.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
@Brett327 nailed it, Navy needs URL folks. In addition, getting a free college education along with a secured job... going URL is not that bad.

I do feel and think those who have very strong technical backgrounds (computer/cyber warfare engineering)... some of those folks can fit into the IWC community.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I like that intel-o's come from all over the place. Half my class at NIOBC was either flight attrites or BUDS duds. The mix of backgrounds was refreshing. I don't want a plethora of poli-sci bots straight out of the academy or ROTC in the 1830 community. Too many people thinking the same way is boring.

This is a two fold in which you might also have someone who doesn’t want to be there because they wanted to fly or go SEAL.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Information is not the future of warfare, just one part of it. Folks who make declarations like that need to get over themselves and get a dose of reality.

URL officers are those that operate and ultimately command platforms. The IW officers don't operate platforms, won't command them, and shouldn't be URLs. That fact does not make them a second class community.

Bingo, the sooner IW’s who whine about how they aren’t URL’s accept that fact the sooner they will master their jobs and get some of the respect they so desire.

Last edited:

AULANI

This is a two fold in which you might also have someone who doesn’t want to be there because they wanted to fly or go SEAL.
Yeah... maybe if the Navy forced them to go 1830 but everyone I talked to picked 1830, not the other IWC designators.

LET73

So, an Academy grad thinks that the only way for IWC to be taken seriously/be a real warfare community is to increase the number of Academy grads in the IWC?

If anything, IWC should be treated more like PAO - i.e., new accessions into the community should have some kind of operational experience first, with a handful of highly qualified exceptions. I'm mainly talking about intel, since that's my community and that's where I see the issues. There are too many 1830s who don't have an appropriate understanding of blue force operations, and because of that aren't able to provide 11xxs/13xxs with the real value good intel can provide. Some people learn it, others don't, but it's an area that can and should be improved. Commissioning source is irrelevant; it's not that we're scraping the bottom of the barrel to get 1830s into OCS while neglecting USNA/ROTC grads, it's the training, support, and mentorship we're providing (or not) to these new ensigns.

exNavyOffRec

It seems in my brief read of the article that she seems to think those going into IWC are "non-physically qualified midshipmen" I would submit that her statement is incorrect, if a person is not physically qualified then they would not be commissioned, she I believe is saying not physically qualified for all designators. I have seen many people who were not qualified for SNA or Nuke that were very smart individuals. and I have met people who were physically qualified for all designators who I was surprised manage to get commissioned.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Half my class at NIOBC was either flight attrites or BUDS duds.
And some of the BUD/S duds do strategic DORs during BUD/S because they know they can get what they actually wanted after DOR'ing but could not when they were initially joining the Navy.