• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

JimIII

Hello,
Submitted a package for the CEC (collegiate program) and I'm curious how I stand.
Major: Civil Engineering
GPA: 3.95
OAR: 63
LOR's: 2 professors, and my boss at a part-time job.

I know the interview is a major part of being competitive and I felt it went great. I showed a genuine interest in the community, was knowledgeable about the CEC, and asked plenty of questions.

bennie_venti

Hey folks. Hope ya'll are doing well in these crazy times.
I've been doing heavy research over the past 6 months into commissioning as a naval officer. I just wanted to leave my information here to see what you guys think of my chances in shooting for INTEL / CRYPTO communities:

Male // 26yo // US Citizen // San Diego, CA
AA Major: Arabic Language and Culture
UG Major: Sociocultural Anthropology from UC San Diego GPA: 3.73 - Cum Laude // Departmental Honors
Health: Good (no surgeries or disabilities or conditions) // athletic, good with PR
Languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, some Japanese
OAR: TBD...
LOR's: Business CEO, Naval Officers, Professor, Naval Officer

I am scheduling to take the OAR in a couple of weeks. My recruiter seems to think my profile would line up well for INTEL or CRYPTO. I initially was even considering going the enlisted route to become a CTI, as I want to put my language skills to use. But in the long run, officer outweighs the enlisted path. Open to any feedback and/or suggestions.

Thanks!

zoeth

Over 9000
I've been doing heavy research over the past 6 months into commissioning as a naval officer. I just wanted to leave my information here to see what you guys think of my chances in shooting for INTEL / CRYPTO communities:

UG Major: Sociocultural Anthropology from UC San Diego GPA: 3.73 - Cum Laude // Departmental Honors
Health: Good (no surgeries or disabilities or conditions) // athletic, good with PR

I am scheduling to take the OAR in a couple of weeks. My recruiter seems to think my profile would line up well for INTEL or CRYPTO. I initially was even considering going the enlisted route to become a CTI, as I want to put my language skills to use. But in the long run, officer outweighs the enlisted path. Open to any feedback and/or suggestions.

Thanks!
Languages will not help in the O communities. If you want CTI then absolutely.

AULANI

Thanks!
If officer outweighs the enlisted path for you then you should probably pick a designator from two other communities. Good luck!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Thanks!

As stated for all other IWC applicants, if you don't get selected for Intel or CW to consider other officer programs (like SWO or Aviation) which have higher selection rates.

lotus8296

First time posting, long time lurking.

32 years old
CTI1 (NAC/IW/AW) 7 years active
Evals: MP, P (welcome aboard), EP, MP
Bachelors: Business Administration - 2.8
Masters: Computer Science - Just Started
OAR: 40 (1st attempt), 53 (2nd attempt)
Calculus: Business calc
LORs: O-5 Class leader, O-4 prior DH, O-3 DIVO
Applying for: IP and INTEL

Don't think the boards will care about my DLPT scores, but currently have a 2+/2+. Working on some CompTIA certs (A+/Net+) and already re-took OAR once… Any suggestions or thoughts to help improve package?

FormerRecruitingGuru

32 years old

Don't think the boards will care about my DLPT scores, but currently have a 2+/2+. Working on some CompTIA certs (A+/Net+) and already re-took OAR once… Any suggestions or thoughts to help improve package?

Consider SWO and maybe aviation if you can get age waivers. Assuming you don’t get picked up for IWC.

AULANI

32 years old

That undergrad degree and GPA aren't doing you any favors. If I were you I'd finish grad school with as close to a 4.0 as possible, put in a package and pray for the best.

Or just apply for SWO now.

lotus8296

Consider SWO and maybe aviation if you can get age waivers. Assuming you don’t get picked up for IWC.

Aviation would be awesome if it weren't for this age thing. Considering SWO, too.

That undergrad degree and GPA aren't doing you any favors. If I were you I'd finish grad school with as close to a 4.0 as possible, put in a package and pray for the best.

Or just apply for SWO now.

Starting to wish I spent more time in the books than at the campus bar...

AULANI

Starting to wish I spent more time in the books than at the campus bar...
You can still improve depending on how well you do in grad school.

Intel is weird, half your class will be BUD/S duds or flight attrites and the other half will be former lawyers and/or people with Master's degrees.

A-Aron

Make sure you are reading the program authorizations and VERIFYING you are in fact eligible for each program.

For CW, go to subpara 6b:
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/Documents/PA-108C_CW_Apr-2019.pdf

Yes, everyone whether it's prior enlisted or active duty enlisted. The reason being is that allowing people with high time in service essentially gives them the opportunity to retire sooner. The communities want their officers the opportunity to be considered and selected for O-5 before deciding to retire.

I know this topic is from three months ago, but I was just curious (I tried searching everywhere on this website for a concrete answer). What is the exact definition of "qualifying service" on the PAs? On the April 2019 PA for CW, subpara 6b states:

"Enlisted personnel of the regular Navy or Navy Reserve (active and inactive) or enlisted personnel of other armed services with no more than 60 months of qualifying service and an approved inter-service transfer. Waivers may be granted for up to, but not to exceed, 72 months of qualifying service."

Does "qualifying service" start from the first day at my first duty station (I believe this is what I was told by a recruiter), or does it also include any A-schools/ C-schools that I had prior to going to the fleet?

If it is the former, I'm ok. If it is the latter, I would probably need to submit a waiver for my total active duty time of exactly 72 months. CW (1810) is my top choice so I would like to do everything in my power to qualify for it.

(I am currently a civilian)

FormerRecruitingGuru

I know this topic is from three months ago, but I was just curious (I tried searching everywhere on this website for a concrete answer). What is the exact definition of "qualifying service" on the PAs? On the April 2019 PA for CW, subpara 6b states:

"Enlisted personnel of the regular Navy or Navy Reserve (active and inactive) or enlisted personnel of other armed services with no more than 60 months of qualifying service and an approved inter-service transfer. Waivers may be granted for up to, but not to exceed, 72 months of qualifying service."

Does "qualifying service" start from the first day at my first duty station (I believe this is what I was told by a recruiter), or does it also include any A-schools/ C-schools that I had prior to going to the fleet?

If it is the former, I'm ok. If it is the latter, I would probably need to submit a waiver for my total active duty time of exactly 72 months. CW (1810) is my top choice so I would like to do everything in my power to qualify for it.

(I am currently a civilian)

Qualifying as in the first day you were considered active duty, which is the day you reported to RTC.

sasebobeast

26 years old

Civilian

Bachelors: BS City and Regional Planning - Cumulative: 3.72

OAR: 44 (1st attempt) 49 (2nd attempt)

Applying for: SWO

I was an education volunteer teacher in the Peace Corps for six months and returned a couple months ago.

I just started my packet yesterday May 1st. I wanted to start my package back at the end of February, but my recruiter said to retake. I retook it on May 1st and got a 49. Do you think I have a chance at completing my pack and submitting it by this upcoming SWO Proboard for July/August 2020 SWO Proboard? And based on my stats, am I somewhat competitive for SWO?

Thank you for any feedback!