• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNAF/CNATRA Callsign Review Boards?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
That’s a popular narrative, and one that is wrong more often than it’s right, though specific community affiliation might vary your milage.
Just curious, as I'm currently living in hinge purgatory between the heavenly bliss of JOPA and the unending hell of Mom and Dad (or is it the other way around?)... If you had to say what portion of perceived CO lack of control was pure JO misperception vs. COs overreacting to their own misperceptions of the O-6s' concerns vs. actual changes in the Navy over the last 20 years, what would it be?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I didn’t know what I didn’t know. I believed what the most vocal and aggrieved voices told me (or wrote). That said, i think there are, as you’ve alluded to, elements of both at play. As a JO I bought the “evil empire” motif. Now being “part of the problem” I can see that it’s more nuanced than that. What kind of culture does the O-6 foster, and how confident in their own skin are the CO and XO? Are there shitty bosses out there? Of course! But, letting that shit roll downhill at the O-5 level is always a choice.

My O-6 boss recently commented that it was a compliment how little attention he paid to our squadron. The squadron leadership leads, works to knock down roadblocks for the Chiefs and JOs so they can crush it, and if/when a phone call or email to the man is required, it’s usually to back brief him on a decision and rarely to ask for permission.

I know of at least one LT and a CDR on this forum who can tighten me up if I’ve misrepresented the facts as they relate to my chain of command.

And, as always, your community culture is probably the largest variable in all of this.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
But, letting that shit roll downhill at the O-5 level is always a choice.

The squadron leadership leads, works to knock down roadblocks for the Chiefs and JOs so they can crush it...
This ×2.
My own approach to DH is trying not to saddle my LTs/CPOs with either the pain I may feel from the front office (not that there's much of that) or unnecessary admin burden due to my good ideas.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And, as always, your community culture is probably the largest variable in all of this.

Very true. But it seems that even a more even-keeled community can be upset by one-off O-6s, just like a good squadron can be upset by an one-off O-5.

I don't know IKE's O-6 very well, but interacted with him on the O-5 to CO/O-5 level and he doesn't strike me as someone who isn't interested in knocking down barriers (or interested in putting them up). The current east coast leadership is about as anti-barrier as you can be and I saw first-hand how well they took care of their O-5 COs (and how the now-Deputy took care of his JOs and even his adopted staff IP...at least one in particular...as a CO).

That's not to say there aren't some jackwagons in the CoC. My JO tour had some truly bizarre dynamics, along with a community that was way more Shoe-ish than it is today. While we certainly didn't have the whole picture, much of our perception of the bizareness was on point, at least at the squadron level, and confirmed by certain, trusted DHs after the fact.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I didn’t know what I didn’t know. I believed what the most vocal and aggrieved voices told me (or wrote). That said, i think there are, as you’ve alluded to, elements of both at play. As a JO I bought the “evil empire” motif. Now being “part of the problem” I can see that it’s more nuanced than that. What kind of culture does the O-6 foster, and how confident in their own skin are the CO and XO? Are there shitty bosses out there? Of course! But, letting that shit roll downhill at the O-5 level is always a choice.

My O-6 boss recently commented that it was a compliment how little attention he paid to our squadron. The squadron leadership leads, works to knock down roadblocks for the Chiefs and JOs so they can crush it, and if/when a phone call or email to the man is required, it’s usually to back brief him on a decision and rarely to ask for permission.

I know of at least one LT and a CDR on this forum who can tighten me up if I’ve misrepresented the facts as they relate to my chain of command.

Hope that helps.
Which squadron did you command?

Short

None
I was a squadron CO during a combat deployment. CAG stayed out of my hair and did the same for the other skippers. No one interfered with my ability to lead my squadron and I was fortunate enough to serve with kick-ass people, from DHs to new airmen. I hope that I did a good job in making it easier and more rewarding for them to do theirs...hands down the best job I've ever had.

Meffer

Old Screwbird
pilot
We had a helo girl in the airwing complain about a callsign on one of our jets to her front office, and they brought it to our Skipper. It literally had nothing to do with her interpretation of it, and was completely innocent. Needless to say, it was removed from the jet the next day. Standard.
Kinda like the word "Niggardly" I suppose.....always seems to offend those unfamiliar with the English Language.....or a dictionary for that matter.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Kinda like the word "Niggardly" I suppose.....always seems to offend those unfamiliar with the English Language.....or a dictionary for that matter.
It's also close enough to another word that, despite the subtle difference in sound, one should probably still avoid it. No, this isn't some slippery slope where we as automatons suddenly can't say anything, but rather a situation where we are, through the ability to think, are in a position to judge what is a good idea and what is not.