• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CNAF/CNATRA Callsign Review Boards?

Treetop Flyer

pilot

“The head of naval aviation has directed the creation of a new process for approving and reviewing pilots' call signs after two African-American aviators at an F/A-18 Hornet training squadron in Virginia filed complaints alleging racial bias in the unit, from which they said they were unfairly dismissed.

In a formal endorsement letter signed May 13, Vice Adm. DeWolfe Miller, commander of Naval Air Forces, said he found the two aviators, a Navylieutenant and a Marine Corps captain, were correctly removed from Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 106 out of Naval Air Station Oceana due to "substandard performance," despite errors and inconsistencies discovered in the grading and ranking process.

However, Miller said he did find inappropriate conduct by instructor pilots who did not treat the pilots-in-training "with appropriate dignity and respect," using discriminatory call signs and having inappropriate and unprofessional discussions about them on social media.”

robav8r

None
Contributor
YHGTBSM . . . . . . . .

"He directed the Chief of Naval Air Training to have all training command and fleet replacement squadrons in the Navy formalize a call sign assignment and review process within 90 days, including appropriate peer board representation for minority and female aviators."

Treetop Flyer

pilot
YHGTBSM . . . . . . . .

"He directed the Chief of Naval Air Training to have all training command and fleet replacement squadrons in the Navy formalize a call sign assignment and review process within 90 days, including appropriate peer board representation for minority and female aviators."
Uh, can we find the appropriate minority to weigh in on this minority’s proposed callsign? Ah fuck it, how about no more RAG callsigns?

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Perfect. If only they could incorporate this new and much needed "task force callsign" with the equally vital "task force uniform"...

From a Marine 1/3 of the way down...

A Marine major who was a member of the group and interviewed by investigators was unapologetic.
"That's the price to pay in this community. You do stupid s--t, you get made fun of. Or you kill self/others," he said, according to the investigation. "His attrition was his small price to pay. Frankly, we did his ass (and the community's) a favor. But his bulls--t makes me professionally embarrassed."

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
This is eight shades of fucking stupid. At the end of the day it will have zero impact on the diversity of the wardroom, and will be another PC bandaid.

BTW, we also have a Radio. He’s white.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I solved the problem. I expect royalties for this.

Nevermind, "What is your redneck leprechaun name?" probably will get me in trouble with both rednecks and leprechauns.

How about these:

What is your unicorn name?
What is your mermaid name?

Here is another totally safe for work (and lame) example:

Last edited:

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...one of the instructors used the eggplant emoji to refer to the Marine pilot...The investigation determined the eggplant had been meant as a phallic symbol..
:eek: Context matters... As an aside, not sure how anyone here feels that the racially centered call signs are "ok" in today's wine cooler, politically correct Navy. It is what it is.

BT

The remainder of the story reads like minority students pulling the race card because they were unwilling or are unable to admit that they sucked.

Miller said he did find inappropriate conduct by instructor pilots who did not treat the pilots-in-training "with appropriate dignity and respect," using discriminatory call signs and having inappropriate and unprofessional discussions about them on social media.
So, had there been none of this, they could have just booted the students?

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
"Eggplant"? Wow. I fail to understand how anyone here feels this or the other racially centric call signs are "ok" in today's wine cooler, politically correct Navy.

What is it about the eggplant that upsets you? Honest question, as I'm curious. Is it race related or name-calling related?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
What is it about the eggplant that upsets you? Honest question, as I'm curious. Is it race related or name-calling related?
I'm kinda curious too, so I looked it up in urban dictionary. Sure enough, in the right context it's got an old fashioned racist connotation... whatever the story behind using the word that way, you got me. I guess I got this far in life not knowing this one. (And WTF?? I happen to really like eggplant the vegetable- seriously.)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Since when is a WhatsApp private group chat social media? They weren’t disparaging them on the Shitty VFA-106 studs Facebook page. Kind of interested to see how the contents of a group text message made it into this investigation.