• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Zero Tolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Seriously, I don't know if this is the work of a "troll" or what, but how about all you future/hopeful/wannabe middies check yourselves before you ask any more dumb "does the Navy's zero tolerance policy apply to me?" questions. Its not complicated, and there is no provision for high schoolers who want to f**k around before orientation week. Most of this has already been said, but just know that there are plenty of officers who can affect your future careers (should you be so lucky) on this site, watching, and there is little anomymity on the internet these days. If you value your future at all, take this advice from me, before you have to learn it the hard way from someone who actually matters.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I kind of wanted to share this with other lurkers thinking about asking a dumb question, but the thread was closed, so I let it go. Since you opened a new one, I'll copy here what I PMed to a certain newbie asking when he'd be tested so he could experiment beforehand (or whatever his true intentions were). Hopefully some take this to heart....or not. It's only the interweb, after all...

MESSAGE 1:
I'll admit, I have a drug waiver. But the difference is, I didn't "smoke up" right before my application because I was "about to join the Navy, and I want to experiment before I can't". I did it years before and all it did was put a mark on my application in a bad way. I got accepted, I'm an officer now, and I could care less about it.

If you are considering DOING DRUGS in the same timeframe that you are considering joining the Navy/Marine Corps, then you obviously have no idea what this entails. This isn't some "cool 9-5 job" where you fly planes and go home and drink beer (please, jokes aside). You are expected to be a leader of sailors and marines. It's posts like this from officer applicants that only weaken the credibility of the officer corps. "If LT Schmukatelli smoked weed, then why can't I?"

A drug waiver is forgiveness for childhood stupidity and bad choices. It ISN'T a get-out-of-jail-free card for some schmuck who toked up 1 month before his app got sent in.

MESSAGE 2
Look man: If you have to ask about if/when they're going to test you, it's obviously been too soon. I will tell you right now: DO NOT LIE. Not only could they kick you out no questions asked even after you're an officer, but it is also grounds for a court-martial. Admit the truth, and if you've done it , so be it. I did and got in. Now will you be accepted having done it a couple months before you apply? That's debatable but you will likely have to wait to apply until it's been at least 6 months, probably a year + preferably.

Most newbies on this site don't realize who they are talking to. This site is NOT anonymous. There are MANY officers and aviators on here (many know each other) and there's even an admiral on here (CNATRA). So don't run your mouth thinking you're anonymous. You're probably talking to an officer. There are a handful of officer recruiters here as well, and they can DIRECTLY influence your package. I am not trying to come down on you: Just warning you as I was warned when I opened my mouth here as a newbie. Ask questions, THINK before you ask, and ALWAYS show respect on here.

Bogey

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You pretty much summed it up, Joboy. Sticking this and adding it to the required reading.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Seriously, I don't know if this is the work of a "troll" or what, but how about all you future/hopeful/wannabe middies check yourselves before you ask any more dumb "does the Navy's zero tolerance policy apply to me?" questions....
It's about standards, people. It's all about standards -- you either have 'em --- and abide by 'em ... or you don't.

It never used to be a question; simply because we had standards, knew what they were, and we observed them. Otherwise, you went elsewhere ... or went to Canada.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Not to mention the connections to terrorism that illicit drug use has. So you want to fund the bad guys one day and join the flying frat the next. Go get a career at Burger King a$$hole because we don't want you.:icon_rage

mike172

GO NAVY
I alas, must ask a question. A friend of mine in a different ROTC decided it would be a good idea to smoke marijuana over the summer. keep in mind he has already done his secret clearance and what not last year when he was clean. Now he is regretting it. Since he knows I'm a kindred spirit he asked me what he should do. I defer to those older and wiser than I.

He can lie.

He can be outright and say "i did it"

or he can just wait until someone asks him.

Me personally, I would not lie, and i would probably want to get it out in the open. That being said his unit has the same policy of every unit. Do it an you are out of the program. So I can see his dilemma.

I know the general advice here is don't lie. I agree, thats what i said.

However given this particular situation what do you do?

If he was just joining he could get a waiver no sweat, but since hes in. questionable. I don't know what to tell him, i feel bad for him, be it even of his own making.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I alas, must ask a question. A friend of mine in a different ROTC decided it would be a good idea to smoke marijuana over the summer. keep in mind he has already done his secret clearance and what not last year when he was clean. Now he is regretting it. Since he knows I'm a kindred spirit he asked me what he should do. I defer to those older and wiser than I.

He can lie.

He can be outright and say "i did it"

or he can just wait until someone asks him.

Me personally, I would not lie, and i would probably want to get it out in the open. That being said his unit has the same policy of every unit. Do it an you are out of the program. So I can see his dilemma.

I know the general advice here is don't lie. I agree, thats what i said.

However given this particular situation what do you do?

If he was just joining he could get a waiver no sweat, but since hes in. questionable. I don't know what to tell him, i feel bad for him, be it even of his own making.

Awfully poor headwork. Would you want him to be the wingman you have to rely on when it counts? Can he have any credibility when he has to go to mast for one of his troopers who did the same thing? He took an oath and has already given plenty of reason to doubt his integrity. Lots of other midshipmen have managed to resist the urges and temptations...

Other than that, I guess he's allright.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I know the general advice here is don't lie.

Noooo, this is the general advice here ...
It's about standards, people. It's all about standards -- you either have 'em --- and abide by 'em ... or you don't.

As for your friend (hope its not you...), he got himself into quite a moral dilemma there. Let's see if he uses the same shitty headwork this time around...

mike172

GO NAVY
I pretty much said the same stuff... The only thing is I know him personally, so yea if I were gonna be a pilot I would trust him. I know his character.

Status
Not open for further replies.