• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Would You Do It Again

Ralph

Over on Baseops and various other forums they are very against active duty and always talk about going into the Guard/Reserve. So, for those who have flown in the Navy would you do it again?

This board has been mentioned recently about how different the attitudes are by the people posting on here. Someone mentioned that people on AW are afraid to speak their minds due to repercussions from the outside. So are Navy/USMC guys just as jaded or are has AF culture changed so much it turned on them?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Over on Baseops and various other forums they are very against active duty and always talk about going into the Guard/Reserve. So, for those who have flown in the Navy would you do it again?

This board has been mentioned recently about how different the attitudes are by the people posting on here. Someone mentioned that people on AW are afraid to speak their minds due to repercussions from the outside. So are Navy/USMC guys just as jaded or are has AF culture changed so much it turned on them?

I see two completely different lines of thinking and questions here. What are you trying to learn?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes. Break out your questions. Thread title asks one thing, post asks other things. All good questions. BTW, you should expect a Guard only guy to validate his decision by saying it is the only way to go. Certainly has its benefits but also its own downsides. Different strokes.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
100%. Being a Naval Aviator is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Nothing else matters. When you're old and gray, no matter what you accomplished, you'll be a part of a fraternity that spans decades.

No matter what war you fought in, anytime you meet another old man with a single anchor and gold wings in his past, you'll be able to share stories about "that one night behind the boat".

brownshoe

Contributor
100%. Being a Naval Aviator is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Nothing else matters. When you're old and gray, no matter what you accomplished, you'll be a part of a fraternity that spans decades.

No matter what war you fought in, anytime you meet another old man with a single anchor and gold wings in his past, you'll be able to share stories about "that one night behind the boat".

Shit, just working in naval aviation is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I was a ground pounder and worked on A4's with some really fantastic people. I was in during the 60's and just a few moments ago answered an email from a shipmate.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'd do it again.

No one is afraid to speak openly and freely around here.

croakerfish

pilot
Joining the Navy was the best decision I ever made. The second best decision was turning down my selection for AF CSO that same week. My brother is in the Air Force, flies F-16s and already wants out. I think it really is that different.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having been on both sides of the fence I wouldn't change what I have done much, if you haven't done a stint on active duty before going to the Guard or reseve you are missing out.

One thing to keep in mind is that Baseops that it is reflective of the USAF and many of the folks have a different attitude than people in the Navy and Marines. Flying is a bit more central to their service than the others and they also have a much larger reserve component (to include the Guard) than the Navy and Marines. Finally, the site also seems to have a higher percentage of 'angry' folks than we do here.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Very glad to be done, retired, and in the civilian world.

And if I could be 17 again (the age I was when I walked through the door at boat school), I would absolutely not only do it again, but I would also take the same half golden path, half off-the-beaten-path route I took again.

I'm a satisfied customer.

jtmedli

pilot
In a heartbeat and I don't even know how the next 6 years OR 14 years are going to go yet.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Shit, just working in naval aviation is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'll echo this - there were many many things that I did as an enlisted guy in the Navy that were once in a lifetime gigs. Worth every moment of it.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I've seen both the active and reserve sides of Navy aviation and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I've only had flying tours and I've both deployed on the boat and I've deployed to some pretty small SE Asian countries. These are the experiences that I will forever remember and that epic sea stories are made of.

The one word of advice I have, do what YOU want to do in Navy air, don't let the detailer or your boss tell you that you need to do something because it's good for your career. Don't be naive about what it could do to your career, but so far I've had a lot more fun doing what I want to do rather than what I'm "supposed" to do.