Winged and don't know number

Discussion in 'Military Aviation in General' started by Kycntryboy, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Kycntryboy

Kycntryboy Registered User None

Just got winged... anybody know how do we figure out what number aviator we are? I know helo guys are told but we are not for some reason. On a side note can a mod hook a brother up with some wings and entrance into the private NA forum. Thank you in advance, Grunk.

AllAmerican75, Catmando and DanMa1156 like this.
  2. nittany03

nittany03 FUBIJAR None None

We don't get numbered anymore. The helo guys get to be "unrestricted" Naval Aviator number something or other. Us fixed wing slobs don't . . .

3. HAL Pilot

HAL Pilot Thanks

For wings, you have to request to join the Pilot user group.

4. Kycntryboy

Kycntryboy Registered User None

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. On a side note anybody know why they stopped? I find it extremely dissapointing that they don't keep track of that anymore.

5. Godspeed

Godspeed His blood smells like cologne. None

Chillax Broseph.....You'll always be number 1 in my book..... Besides... Nothing else matters:
    [​IMG]

insanebikerboy and northtouk like this.
  6. Jen

Jen Wife of a Growler stud

So I will be totally gay here and post it in the main forum...Yes, I am proud of my Naval Aviator!! Congrats baby! :)

Catmando, webmaster and HJ32 like this.
  7. MasterBates

MasterBates Well-Known Member

Back to your cave!!!!

8. Fog

Fog Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect None

It was 42 years ago, but back in the day they gave you a little card that confirmed getting your wings. Somethings you never forget: I was NFO # G-1290 ("G" for Glynco -now deceased- I guess). FWIW. My old Naval Officer file # was 699-985. Those are long gone, too.

Hey, and congratulations, Dude! You earned 'em.

9. PropAddict

PropAddict Now with even more awesome! None

I have been trying to figure out what that little Naval Aviator card in the plastic sleeve was for the last 4 months.

It would make a heckuva lot more sense if it still had your Naval Aviator Number on it. Less like my kindergarten diploma and more like a membership card.

10. blackbart22

blackbart22 Active Member None

In the day, you were given a small certificate titled "Naval Aviator Certification. It was form CNATRA-1210/1 (Rev. 7-57). It had your name, date of birth, appointment date, and Naval Aviator number and was signed by CNATRA. My number is V-16762. This certificate is a 4 x 2 1/2 inch card. Not to be confused with the fance frameable certificate. That one does not have your Naval Aviator number on it. I figure the V is for fixed wings. Maybe the helo guys got an "H" and the poopy bag drivers a "Z".

11. webmaster

webmaster The Grass is Greener! None

kycntryboy,

Many congrats! Updated your account to display wings.

John

12. ea6bflyr

ea6bflyr Working Class Bum None

Grunk,
    Nice ceremony Friday. Congrats & have fun in the next steps of your training.
    [​IMG]

-ea6bflyr ;)

northtouk likes this.
  13. Catmando

Catmando Keep your knots up. None

My card is in a drawer somewhere. But my "frameable certificate" is handy.... the bottom half depicted below.

Contrary and unlike yours, mine actually does have my "V-number" on my certificate. Perhaps they changed the format over the years after you were winged?

Of course I am older than dirt. But your V-number is over twelve -thousand naval aviators even earlier than mine. I know they pumped through many aviators back then, but that is a big number. So what year were you winged? And where did you serve?

[​IMG]

14. blackbart22

blackbart22 Active Member None

I got my wings in June 1960. I was NAVCAD class 38-58 and was a fleet cadet as were many in that particular class. Served in VAW-11 (AD-5W), Monterey, BuWeps, VT-21, Connie (shooter), VQ-1 (EA-3), China Lake, and FTG (Gitmo). They really weren't pumping out aviators that fast when I went through. No wars going on and funds were tight. About a third of my class didn't make it. By the time I was instructing at Kingsville, we were working seven days a week and it was almost inpossible to wash anyone out of advanced.

15. A4sForever

A4sForever INTERNET BULLY None

When I got my Aviator Wings, they were antique gold, the Certificate was like CAT's, my Naval Aviator # was in a slick little black leather holder, and we got thrown into the swimming pool in choker whites, as well. :)

It turned out to be a very good party that night at the old Kingsville 'O Club. :)

However, with regards to the issuance of Naval Aviator numbers -- to quote from the http://www.history.navy.mil website:

" ... The Chief of Naval Air Training (CNATRA) quit issuing Naval Aviator Numbers sometime in the 1970s. Documentation has not been located that gives the date or provides reasons why the assignment of Naval Aviator numbers was discontinued. To date, no complete listing of all Naval Aviator numbers, including the letter-number designations, has been found.

Moreover, it is highly unlikely a complete list exists because of the decentralization of the system during World War II. Bits and pieces of the listing for Naval Aviator numbers is held by the Naval Aviation History Office. However, the World War II and post-war period list is not organized in any alphabetical or chronological order, consequently, it is extremely difficult to find any individual’s number ...."

ea6bflyr likes this.