• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will resigning from my job hurt my SNA selection chances?

mfdubs

I currently work at a management consultancy with long periods of international travel, which is putting me at risk of missing the deadline for the July 13th board. Obviously I'm planning on resigning eventually, and am considering doing it before the July 13 deadline to assure I have enough time to go through MEPS and otherwise complete my package.

Would this recent unemployment be a red-flag on my application? or are they more concerned with scores and letters of rec?

For reference, my ASTB scores are 60 7/8/8

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Would this recent unemployment be a red-flag on my application? or are they more concerned with scores and letters of rec?

What if you quit your job but don’t get selected? Then what? Yes you might have good scores but don’t put all your eggs in one basket yet.

All your questions can be answered with a simple search around AWs and/or by asking your OR.

mfdubs

What if you quit your job but don’t get selected? Then what? Yes you might have good scores but don’t put all your eggs in one basket yet.

All your questions can be answered with a simple search around AWs and/or by asking your OR.

If I didn't get selected I would be resigning regardless and applying to grad school. The only reason I would stay at this job longer is if the 3-month gap in my resume would raise questions during the board.

My primary question is if current employment is weighed heavily in the evaluation or if it takes a backseat to ASTB and recommendations.

Last edited:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If I didn't get selected I would be resigning regardless and applying to grad school. The only reason I would stay at this job longer is if the 3-month gap in my resume would raise questions during the board.
Resigning from your job won't hurt your application. Just make sure YOU will be ok if you get rejected. If that means grad school, great. Just plan for the bad outcome.

mfdubs

Resigning from your job won't hurt your application. Just make sure YOU will be ok if you get rejected. If that means grad school, great. Just plan for the bad outcome.

Thanks, my impression was current employment was weighed less than education and scores, but wanted to make sure I wasn't sabotaging my package.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Thanks, my impression was current employment was weighed less than education and scores, but wanted to make sure I wasn't sabotaging my package.
If you're in grad school, it will be transparent to the board why you aren't working.

mfdubs

If you're in grad school, it will be transparent to the board why you aren't working.

Well actually I wouldn't be in grad school, I would be studying for the GRE for a few months while working part time. Point is, right now my career demonstrates leadership and competence but is getting in the way of my goals. For that reason I'm planning on resigning while I prepare an OCS package, but want to make sure that wouldn't preclude me from selection.

exNavyOffRec

If by current employment being weighted less, you mean weighted not at all, then you are correct on your impression.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only time a gap in employment history will come up is when you’re interviewed for your SSBI. And that’s just to make sure you weren’t doing something nefarious. It won’t be a thing.

mfdubs

The only time a gap in employment history will come up is when you’re interviewed for your SSBI. And that’s just to make sure you weren’t doing something nefarious. It won’t be a thing.

Good to hear, thanks. Does the SSBI have to be completed before OCS, or does it run concurrently with OCS/flight school?

I ask because I was put in for a top secret clearance at my current job, but I've been under review for 2 years, due largely to my extensive international travel. I'm currently 25, so I'm worried if I have to wait to be cleared again I may pass the 27 year old threshold.

andrewt

Good to hear, thanks. Does the SSBI have to be completed before OCS, or does it run concurrently with OCS/flight school?

I ask because I was put in for a top secret clearance at my current job, but I've been under review for 2 years, due largely to my extensive international travel. I'm currently 25, so I'm worried if I have to wait to be cleared again I may pass the 27 year old threshold.

Believe I read in another thread that the investigation only had to be open for you to attend OCS, not completed. Think that post was by @RUFiO181 as a matter of fact.