• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When to attempt the waiver...

Prefontaine

Hi everyone,

Second question! More to come for sure.

I've read that the worst vision the Navy will accept is 20/40. I'm currently 20/80 (my eyeglasses make it 20/15 but that doesn't really matter because of the uncorrected vision) so I'll obviously have to have something done in order to fly. I plan on doing NROTC in college (currently a HS senior) for all four years, and plan on applying for a 3 year scholarship, since I missed the boat (no pun intended) on the 4 year one. So, my question is this: I know that if I get it before I'm in the navy, it's a flight DQ and I'll be screwed. But I'm assuming that I need to get PRK before I apply for a SNA slot so I'll qualify. When should I plan on getting it, and how hard is it to get the waiver? Also, I've been reading on the forums about soft lense contacts or something. Is that an option for me? Could I get an SNA slot with this option as well, and hold off on the PRK for x amount of years?

Thanks in advance for the responses :)

Pre

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I'm in NROTC and had PRK done. I did it over the winter break of my Junior year so as to have plenty of time to recover for summer cruise.

I was told to "wait as long as you can" by my doctor, but at the same time I needed to make sure I was 100% stable when it came time for my flight physical.

You have a couple years left, don't rush into it.

SpiderUSMC

It's better from a surgical standpoint to be a little older than you are. I just had mine over a week ago. I'm 23.

Beers

The contact waiver has only been out for a short while.... 4 years is plenty of time for it to become common or to get the axe i would figure. Id say with no rush(as you dont want to rush the prk) wait it out and see how the waivers are working in 2-3 years. As im in the same boat, exsept in (not a good canidate) for prk. I could have it with more risk, but like you have have a few years to go yet.. So might as well wait and see what happens.

Prefontaine

Oh yeah, I definitely wasn't planning on having it any time soon. My mom called the eye doctor despite my telling her that I shouldn't have it done soon, and she said that it's best to wait until you're at least 21, and preferable a few years older than that since you're still growing. So around junior year is the best time to get it?
Good point beers, things could certainly change in the next four years (hopefully for the better!). I guess it's a waiting game at this point :)

-Pre

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
I had it done when I was 20, a few months shy of 21. I also had been corrected to 20/15 with the same prescription that I was given when I graduated high school. That prescription in turn was the same prescription (but different glasses) as one from 18 months prior. So while age is a factor (many doctors refuse to operate if you're under 21, others will take patients as young as 18) stability of prescription is probably the most important factor. Most picky doctors will refuse to touch you unless its stable for 24 months. Add a few months to that for peace of mind and you should be okay.