• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When does a conditional release take effect

wall6966

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place so redirect me if I am not. My husband is enlisted national guard. He is in the process of submitting a packet for Navy OCS. He graduates from college in December. We have to get a conditional release signed for him to go to MEPS or even go to a board. At first, the officer recruiter said the army would drop him as soon as he got his acceptance letter from the board. The board is in March so we were prepared to lose GI benefits and drill pay for the rest of the year. Then I realized we will also lose Tricare and as a young family with a baby that freaked me out a bit. We called the recruiter and he backtracked and said we could date the conditional release for a date after my husband entered OCS that way there would be no break in coverage. I have a feeling he isn't being honest because I'm pretty sure my husband can't be in the Navy and the Army at the same time. Hence the conditional release. So, I guess my question is does anyone know when a conditional release takes effect. Is it when he gets his letter from the board or leaves for OCS? I just want to be financially and mentally prepared to lose all his benefits and pay double for insurance somewhere else. Sorry for the long post.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Your husband will be out of the service anywhere from 1-2 weeks between when he's discharged from the Army and about to ship to OCS. You're correct, you can't be in both service components at the same time. Your OR should be planning this carefully with OCS/Navy Recruiting to where the gap time between the two services is minimal. In the meantime, your husband and entire family will be entitled to TAMP in which you still get Tricare and base privileges for up to 6 months - that should definitely cover the gap time. When your husband is finally at OCS, you can switch back from TAMP to Active Duty and continue the same base/Tricare benefits needed.

I have a feeling he isn't being honest because I'm pretty sure my husband can't be in the Navy and the Army at the same time

There's a likelihood your OR simply doesn't know. I never had to deal with a similar circumstance until maybe year 2 or 3 of my recruiting tour. For a while I thought members could separate on a Friday and be put in the Navy the next day.

If I remember correctly you only get TAMP from active service so his guard time won't make him eligible for it. Tricare Continued Healthcare Benefit should be an option albeit expensive.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If I remember correctly you only get TAMP from active service so his guard time won't make him eligible for it. Tricare Continued Healthcare Benefit should be an option albeit expensive.

That’s a good point. In that case the member + family will have to make the tough choice of using TCHB in between services.