• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When are ROTC cadets given the PRT?

AirAggie92

I'm joining ROTC this fall and unfortunately I don't yet meet the minimum push ups requirement. I am very much working on that though. I have seen questions like this relating to OCS but I am asking about ROTC.

EDIT: I mean midshipmen, I was confusing it with the "Corps of Cadets" at TAMU and TAMUG.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Normally it's once a semester. It's very likely that you'll do it during your unit's indoctrination program, which is often just before classes start.

AirAggie92

Okay, so if you don't pass one section the first time what can be done about it? It's not that I won't try my hardest to pass I'm just trying to brace myself.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Okay, so if you don't pass one section the first time what can be done about it? It's not that I won't try my hardest to pass I'm just trying to brace myself.

1. You will probably be placed on some form of remedial PT.
2. Don't be that guy.

sanders

Are you actually joining the corps of cadets with a military contract? If you are, you will have to pass the minimums or you will be put on remedial. If you don't have a contract, its no big deal. Freshmen can't be kicked out for failing the pft. Just keep working at it. Good luck at FOW...

AirAggie92

Are you actually joining the corps of cadets with a military contract? If you are, you will have to pass the minimums or you will be put on remedial. If you don't have a contract, its no big deal. Freshmen can't be kicked out for failing the pft. Just keep working at it. Good luck at FOW...

I do not have a contract right now. I actually am in pretty good shape to pass other than push ups however. I'm going to have to be on a much more aggressive Physical Training program than I'm on, because right now I can only do about 35-40 push ups. I'm really going to work on it!

sanders

I can't remember what the minimums were. But I would see fat freshmen fail it all the time and they were never kicked out. I just realized you are a galveston guy... I don't really know what the rules are over there but I can't imagine they are much different.

AirAggie92

Yeah I would go to College Station but I wasn't accepted there. I'm going to try to change campuses after a year. Of course I'd really like to pass the test but I'm not sure if I'll be able to. A remedial program may help me improve, however.

Will_T

Will_T
AA, I'm in the same boat you are, as my pushups suck, and my understanding is that for nrotc, you have to pass by the second prt to keep a scholarship, my guess is, if you fail, you do extra pt. And if you're that close, you might be able to push out 52 with the adrenaline. Best of luck on the PRT.
Will.

AirAggie92

AA, I'm in the same boat you are, as my pushups suck, and my understanding is that for nrotc, you have to pass by the second prt to keep a scholarship, my guess is, if you fail, you do extra pt. And if you're that close, you might be able to push out 52 with the adrenaline. Best of luck on the PRT.
Will.

I'm glad to know someone is the same boat. I am totally willing to do extra PT to meet the standard of course.

Will_T

Will_T
Work hard and you'll be alright, the requirements aren't that bad. I mean this time last year, I couldn't string together 5 push-ups to save my life, or actually run an entire mile, but I'm pretty close now to passing the prt now (if I don't actually pass it). I hope by next semester to kick ass on the prt, by working hard, in pt and the gym.

Will_T

Will_T
I am, as yardstick say, awaiting a fantastic week and a half in the sun and sand of lovely Newport, Rhode Island.
And while I haven't been re-mediated yet (I give it a 50/50 that I pass the PRT), you can be damn sure it wont happen again.

AirAggie92

I am, as yardstick say, awaiting a fantastic week and a half in the sun and sand of lovely Newport, Rhode Island.
And while I haven't been re-mediated yet (I give it a 50/50 that I pass the PRT), you can be damn sure it wont happen again.

Oh okay, so we are in almost the exact same situation. Best of luck to you too!