• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wheels-up Harrier landing

FastMover

NFO
None
l_9cb1a97d268589bf7cc6f31d8ae5e6e8.jpg

l_2a2a9baa2ce8604dc95a071099ad8569.jpg

l_e3f85617c7dbd6976ea8bf12ea971af0.jpg

l_e9ef05d0755f910daaecb185eb83b7b8.jpg

Ouch! What are the chances that this one will ever fly again?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I love it ... some thinkin Marines put some mattresses down to try to break its fall ... couldn't hurt, right? Looks like it was quite an impact.

Marine4life

I love it ... some thinkin Marines put some mattresses down to try to break its fall ... couldn't hurt, right? Looks like it was quite an impact.
I think they're surplus mattresses from O'Bannon or Graves Hall.

UMichfly

pilot
None
FOD!!!! How do you expect to keep an airplane flying if it's shitting chewed up mattresses out the tailpipes? :icon_tong

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
I'm curious as to why they didn't just ditch it. I know you don't want to just throw away millions of dollars but why risk riding it in?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FOD!!!! How do you expect to keep an airplane flying if it's shitting chewed up mattresses out the tailpipes? :icon_tong

Replacing the motor is cheaper than replacing the jet. :icon_smil

EvilGN

pilot
anyone have issues with placing easily burned material under the hottest jet in the military and they didnt singe? fake maybe?

just seems unlikely, as from what I understand, asphalt will melt under a harrier and concrete is required for Vert landings, so why didnt the matresses melt?

phrogpilot73

anyone have issues with placing easily burned material under the hottest jet in the military and they didnt singe? fake maybe?

just seems unlikely, as from what I understand, asphalt will melt under a harrier and concrete is required for Vert landings, so why didnt the matresses melt?
Asphalt doesn't melt under a Harrier. I've watched them land on an Asphalt Road during a CAPEX. Mattresses I would expect would burn. Don't know if it's a true photo or not, but when there are landing gear emergencies for Phrogs or Shitters in New River, the mattress trick is pretty standard. The only problem is, it takes months for the SDO to get his mattress back.

Coota0

None

Maybe I'm stating the obvious; is that even a USMC Harrier? It looks like either an RAF or RN aircraft.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do the Harrier guys on this site say? SOP for hung gear?