• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's old is new again - Army considers switching back to 7.62x51

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Things that make you go "hmm." And make all the old guys jump up and say "I knew it!" :D Looks like the long-term plan under evaluation is to go to 7.62 and then retain the ability for a barrel-and-bolt swap for something else around 6.5mm. Strange that 6.5 Creedmoor isn't mentioned in the article as an option; I know that's the latest flavor of the week amongst the civilian big-bore AR crowd.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/04/05/us-army-considers-7-62-interim-battle-rifle/

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Meh...as a ground-pounder I never fell for the 7.62 vs. 5.56 "overmatch" debate. Sure, there were times when reaching beyond 500 meters would have been nice, but not that often (at least in my experience in Afghanistan). A new rifle is great, but the true issue rests with training, embracing the basics of marksmanship, and increased range time.