• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's my chances of getting the NROTC scholarship?

NavalMann

I'm going into my senior year of high school. My current GPA is about 3.75 and I got an SAT score of 2000. I've never been charged with a crime, I've got a lot of community service, I'll be making the rank of eagle scout in BSA, and the only class I failed in during high school I repeated during the summer and got a B.

I'd have a lot less crap weighing on me if I didn't have to worry about the financial burden so much in college, and I've been wanting to do the navy anyway. How do you think I stand?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm going into my senior year of high school. My current GPA is about 3.75 and I got an SAT score of 2000. I've never been charged with a crime, I've got a lot of community service, I'll be making the rank of eagle scout in BSA, and the only class I failed in during high school I repeated during the summer and got a B.

I'd have a lot less crap weighing on me if I didn't have to worry about the financial burden so much in college, and I've been wanting to do the navy anyway. How do you think I stand?

*The dreaded "What's my chances"....We don't know, somewhere between SLIM and SLAM DUNK!

If your motivation to become a Naval Officer is mostly to ease the financial burden of college, then it's not a good deal for you (or the Navy). Your stats look OK, but you mention nada about wanting to fly or what area you would like to pursue in the Navy...what do you plan for a college major? Lots more research for you to do before you decide. A lot of that can be accomplished on this forum.
Top college grades=Improved "CHANCES":idea_125:
BzB

NavalMann

Thanks for the reply man.

Well, I already want to go into the navy. I'll be studying mechanical/nuclear engineering in college and I'd like to use that in service for my country. I'm not sure about what exactly to do in the navy, I've mostly considered SWO or sub, though I've also looked at flying.

However, I could get into the NROTC and not get the scholarship. So I'm wondering about the scholarship.

I'll definitely do research on the forum. Looks like some interesting stuff. Plus it looks like you prepared for someone considering SWO to walk through and go "wait wait what's all this badmouth about it?" :confused:

MasterBates

Just as a friendly reminder, while this is the interwebs and "sir" is not needed, the Naval Aviator you just called "man" in a slang term is a retired Commander who has more hours flying the A-4 than you have playing X-Box/PS2 and Nintendo combined.

Show some modicum of respect when one is a wannabe.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Your chances are binary, either 0 or 100%. No one can tell you which it is, though. It's definitely 0% if you don't apply. Just build your plan as if you won't get it, then be pleasantly surprised if you do.

Sports and leadership-related activities are the big-ticket items in terms of extracurriculars. If you can say "President of X club" or "organized ____," it's a very good thing.

cameron172

pilot
I'm an Eagle Scout too (fourth generation Eagle in family) and unfortunately, I have found that it doesn't impress much outside of summer camp staff. I'm not saying being an Eagle doesn't mean anything anymore, but you need to have a lot more to make you stand out.

Honestly, I've seen dirt bags who just want a free college degree be selected for scholarships. I've also seen really motivating, squared away and deserving people get passed over. Your stats are similar to others I know on scholarship, but you really don't know until you apply. Start talking to an officer recruiter and nrotc unit recruiting officers now.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Being an Eagle Scout still carries weight, and while I dont loose sleep over it I still wish I had finished. Now that being said a few extra GPA points are a much more attractive resume bullet, but if its between you and someone else that Eagle Scout might just make the difference.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Being an Eagle Scout still carries weight, and while I dont loose sleep over it I still wish I had finished. Now that being said a few extra GPA points are a much more attractive resume bullet, but if its between you and someone else that Eagle Scout might just make the difference.

If anything it shows that you put some effort and followed through on something. There is something to be said for that.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
It was always explained to me that's exactly why it was valued.

Eagle scout isnt exactly the worlds toughest achievement, but only a few people put in the time and effort over several years to actually get there. From what I saw, most of the folks that I joined the BSA with left after few years because they got bored... The ones that stuck it out, and still didnt make it (myself: ended at Life), usually had gotten to highschool and started getting distracted by other things.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
You have the stats, but your chances are directly related to how bad you want it. I applied to the academy and for the scholarship but was passed over for both. I joined an NROTC and got picked up after the first semester and was getting over $20,000 a semester in tuition and free room and board(some colleges provide that hookup to scholarship students). If you stay focused and committed to reaching your goal your chances are probably pretty damn good.

Will_T

Will_T
Scholarships are hard to come by these days, especially after the original 4 year National Scholarships are handed out.

For example: For my Year Group there were 6 scholarships handed out to College Programmers, and all went to LREC students.

So, my advice is to make sure youre application is really squared away, grammar and punctuation must be perfect. Have an English teacher and a mentor read over your motivational statement. And do well on your interview, i.e. know why you want to join NROTC, why you want to be an officer, what you want to do in the Navy, and please, have questions for the interviewer (What did you do? What were your deployments like? et cetera, and call him/her sir). The application is all that the board will see of you, so make it your best effort. Good luck, and if you have any questions regarding freshman year (I just finished mine), let me know.

NavyNukeNFO

FY09 NFO Selectee...turned FY12 CHOP
I just wanted to add that the Enlisted Recruiters are the ones that help you put the package together now. Changed a few years ago...of course it could of changed back. When I was a recruiter I had 2 of the 4 we put in for it get it. The biggest thing I saw that separated the 2 that got it from the 2 that didnt, was the motivation and determination to get picked up. They all had around the same stats, but I remember one guy that came in with 4 albums of all his achievements and report cards and whatever else he gotten broken up by year of high school. Impress the person that interviews you! Dont come in looking like a slob and don't make it all about the money for college. These sound like obvious stupid mistakes but you would be surprised.

Eagle Scout will help and like someone else mentioned earlier so will be part of Varsity Sports and things like Civil Air Patrol or JROTC, Community Service and Church involvement help as well. Try to make yourself as well rounded as possible. Treat it like the amazing opportunity it is, and you will do fine.

There is a lot of great advice on this forum and if you need any more help feel free to PM me. Good Luck!

NavalMann

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, this next year I'm going to be working my best to raise that GPA more. I've also been working on my attitude to get it to that more "unstoppable" point and I'm building up my strength and endurance, I want to be able to have that going for me depending on what area of the navy I go into.

Whether I get the scholarship or not, I'm doing the NROTC program.

As for eagle scout, it certainly would be nice if that adds something. I'll be getting it at age 17 (I'm 17 now), but I'll be finishing it this summer and I don't turn 18 'til next year. I'll be going to UC San Diego to check it out in case I apply there, and while I'm there I'll be able to speak with a navy officer recruiter as they're both in the same general area. Hopefully that'll give me more of an idea as to how to proceed.

Thanks for the help sirs, much appreciated.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
I'm an Eagle Scout too (fourth generation Eagle in family) and unfortunately, I have found that it doesn't impress much outside of summer camp staff. I'm not saying being an Eagle doesn't mean anything anymore, but you need to have a lot more to make you stand out.

Perhaps I'm biased, but I think being an Eagle Scout still matters, particularly to those who know what it takes to become one. I put it on every application for college/scholarships, and still have it on my resume.