• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What should I do to maximize my chances of being selected to be a Naval Aviator from NROTC?

Bob Tyler

Hello y'all!

While I understand there is a fair amount of chance involved with being selected to be a Naval Aviator, I figured I'd ask here what I could do to maximize those chances. So far what I'm doing currently:

• Applying to the NROTC program with the intent of joining in the Spring/Fall of 2018.
  • Major is Aerospace Engineering, Minor is either CS or Business at GA Tech.
  • Beginning my Sophomore year this semester and have a 2.84 GPA, grad date 2020.
  • Competitive Skydiver with our school's team.
  • Working on Private Pilot's License.
  • Getting eye's corrected to 20/20 within a year.
I know things like getting good grades (shooting for a 3.5 GPA at graduation), being involved in extra-circulars, volunteer work, high scores in the ASTB, high PT scores, and overall good performance in NROTC in general can contribute to improving my odds. Still, I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone here had any good tips to also maximize my chances.

As a side note I am still considering the OCS path and would take it if it would give me greater chances to be Naval Aviator (and I can complete grad school for AE) or NROTC becomes a non-option.

Thanks for reading.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Applying to the NROTC program with the intent of joining in the Spring/Fall of 2018.
Since you didn't say, I'm assuming you are joining the NROTC as a walk on College Program student?

If so, your first priority will be to get a scholarship or advance standing PRIOR to starting your Junior year of college. If you do not get the scholarship or advance standing, then you will be done with NROTC. At that point you will need to apply to OCS.

Sooooo, lets prioritize what you need to get done:
1. Get into the NROTC program
2. Get your GPA above 3.0
3. Obtain Scholarship or Advance Standing PRIOR to commencing your junior year in order to stay in NROTC.

You really need to talk with an NROTC advisor. They should give you the same information.

Bob Tyler

Since you didn't say, I'm assuming you are joining the NROTC as a walk on College Program student?

If so, your first priority will be to get a scholarship or advance standing PRIOR to starting your Junior year of college. If you do not get the scholarship or advance standing, then you will be done with NROTC. At that point you will need to apply to OCS.

Sooooo, lets prioritize what you need to get done:
1. Get into the NROTC program
2. Get your GPA above 3.0
3. Obtain Scholarship or Advance Standing PRIOR to commencing your junior year in order to stay in NROTC.

You really need to talk with an NROTC advisor. They should give you the same information.

Right, I'll work on raising that GPA. I've emailed an NROTC advisor here at Tech as well. So far I don't believe I would be able to meet the NROTC fitness requirements by Fall 2017 so soonest I'm looking at is Spring or Fall 2018. Previous circumstances precluded me joining until recently. If NROTC doesn't work then I would pursue OCS.

Also thanks everyone for the comments, all are super appreciated.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Right, I'll work on raising that GPA. I've emailed an NROTC advisor here at Tech as well.

GO TALK TO THEM IN PERSON. When you email something, it's conveying the message of, "that seems cool, I'd like to do it, you know, if it's a thing and stuff." Actually going and talking to people will make more points. You're on an incredibly tight timeline to even get on anyone's radar for selection. If you can't be competitive by Fall 17, it's likely not to happen.

Bob Tyler

GO TALK TO THEM IN PERSON. When you email something, it's conveying the message of, "that seems cool, I'd like to do it, you know, if it's a thing and stuff." Actually going and talking to people will make more points. You're on an incredibly tight timeline to even get on anyone's radar for selection. If you can't be competitive by Fall 17, it's likely not to happen.

You're right, I'll visit the adviser with all questions and concerns I might have. That would probably be far more beneficial than just emailing them.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You're right, I'll visit the adviser with all questions and concerns I might have. That would probably be far more beneficial than just emailing them.
1. Make an appointment with the advisor and sit down. Discuss if this is viable or not
2. Grades. If you want to be viable for either path you need to have good grades
3. PT. If you want to be viable for either path you'll need to be able to meet PT standards. Not sure how this works for NROTC anymore but when I got my scholarship I couldn't make the Navy's PT standards. A semester of remedial PT made my see the light on managing my own PT.
4. Other stuff. The rest is details without 1, 2, and 3.
5. To Hell With Georgia.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
1. Make an appointment with the advisor and sit down. Discuss if this is viable or not
2. Grades. If you want to be viable for either path you need to have good grades
3. PT. If you want to be viable for either path you'll need to be able to meet PT standards. Not sure how this works for NROTC anymore but when I got my scholarship I couldn't make the Navy's PT standards. A semester of remedial PT made my see the light on managing my own PT.
4. Other stuff. The rest is details without 1, 2, and 3.
5. To Hell With Georgia.

6. Bring a notepad with questions when you talk to your advisor... IN PERSON. Take notes for pertinent info.

Bob Tyler

6. Bring a notepad with questions when you talk to your advisor... IN PERSON. Take notes for pertinent info.

I always bring some form of notepad to an interview or when meeting any adviser/person of authority mostly if I have to refer to information discussed during the meeting at a later time.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
What ^^^^ these guys said.

Does anyone out of NROTC with adequate AQT/FAR, above vision and medical standards actually go SWO anymore? The only guy in my class that was fit, smart, good eye site, that did not go 1310 went NSW :) All of SWO's and NUC's had eye sight issues.

Bob Tyler

Sorry for the double post but, I heard a rumor if you wanted to be Nuke or Aviator and you had SWO on your dream sheet you would most likely be picked for SWO. Any basis for this?

sickboy

pilot
Maybe things have changed, but I had to put everything on my dream sheet. That said, be a good dude, get better grades than I did, stay out of trouble and you'll have a decent shot at wings.