• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What IS the Penalty Box and should I fear it?

Thanks for your responses. From a third party perspective, I am glad that you aviators get to enjoy the little perks of your job like that and I thought it was cool to see that guy fly in and his family greet him at the jet.

JO Pilot:"Hey Skipper, there is an airshow at X airport just by my hometown, I need the hours and it's a secure field. I'll even stay the night at my mom's house, so I won't need any TAD $$ and it would get a good writeup in the local paper."
CO: "Don't do anything stupid, and bring my jet back on time in one piece. Make sure your momma sends a copy of the paper, and don't curse in front of the youngsters."

Ha! That's great! For some reason I found this conversation really funny.

statesman said:
Joking or no... there are people on this board who dont find the 'jet question' funny in the least bit. There have been guys who have been AW members a lot longer than you get put in the penalty box for making this joke.

Full disclosure, I don't give a rats ass. Just giving you fair warning.

Thank you for the warning. Also, what is the penalty box and why should I fear it?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
pilot_man said:
If someone wants to get pissed off because you want to know what your odds of getting Jets are, then they can shove it. This isn't Helowarriors, or P-3warriors. Get over it. People treat that question like saying bomb in an airport, it's not that big a deal

I'm with you all the way on that one. When I was in Bobola's position I wanted to know as well...

Apart from that there are some great 'what %...' jokes to be made on the subject...

I would like to shout that from the top of a mountain... but I dont have a mountain, I have a keyboard, and a computer.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
pilot_man said:
If someone wants to get pissed off because you want to know what your odds of getting Jets are, then they can shove it. This isn't Helowarriors, or P-3warriors. Get over it. People treat that question like saying bomb in an airport, it's not that big a deal
Tell you what, go ahead and make a % joke and see how it works out for you.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
pilot_man said:
Well, P-3warriors has a nice ring to it, and seeing as how I own the site... :)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
statesman said:
Joking or no... there are people on this board who dont find the 'jet question' funny in the least bit.

I think its plenty amusing - particularly when phrased in the context it was here (a joke). I'm with PilotMan on this one.

It was intended to be amusing. I really don't care what my actual chances are as I know in many respects, it is way beyond my control and that the answer can always be summed up into "it depends". While I have made less than 20 posts, I have read far more than that and I am honestly more concerned with getting selected, THEN making it through OCS, THEN passing my medical requirements, THEN making it through API, THEN making it through the rest of flight school and perform at a level that would put me in a position to influence what airframe I fly than I am with my odds getting a jet. Like I said, I meant it to be an amusing statement, not an annoying one.

I hope that satisfies anyone about to flame me and/or put me in the penalty box.

On an unrelated note:

I feel like this is a quote from a movie but I can't place it. Maybe a Will Ferrall flick?
I would like to shout that from the top of a mountain... but I dont have a mountain, I have a keyboard, and a computer.

also, Go Mavs!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Bobola2005 said:
I hope that satisfies anyone about to flame me and/or put me in the penalty box.
No one's after you. It's Pilot_man that is tempting faith. He's been around long enough to know the score.

DBDubbs

Recovering LSO said:
I think its plenty amusing - particularly when phrased in the context it was here (a joke). I'm with PilotMan on this one.

+1

It's absolutely comical how serious some of these people take that shit.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I didn't get sent to the penalty box, but I took a mighty big hit on rep for making one of those jokes... Do I think it's a big deal? No. But I'm but a lowly 2P in this wide wide world and I know very little.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
DBDubbs said:
It is a rule built on a painful history of dumb ass post after post asking this same question over and over again daily. Every wanna-be out there post "his story", asked this question and then got all upset when we tried to explain the realities to them. After we made this rule and started enforcing it, we got rid of this ass pain. Therefore for the sake of the mods sanity, the floggings will continue.

Or to say it bluntly - fuck you if you don't like it, I doubt any of the mods give a shit.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
DBDubbs said:
+1

The internet is serious stuff!!!! :icon_tong Which squadron are you with? I fly with 22 only for now (IP type).

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I've been here for a while, and have seen many frequenters get wings on their avatars... I've gotta ask....

Honestly, is the foundation of the distain for the QUESTION an issue of acute egalitarian pissypants-itis (people getting their nickers in a bunch at a percieved insult to their worthless or worthwhile contributions to Naval Aviation from a young buck who doesn't know any better)?

Or is it simply the IDEA that the QUESTION can't be answered definitivelly, previous results don't dictate future performance, and the question gets asked repeatedly?

There is after all, a statistical answer to the question.