• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens if you don't pass flight school?

WEGL12

VT-28
Do you get placed in another area, like SWO?

Wouldn't count on getting a redes if you fail out of flight school. When I was in API (May-June) the redes results were around 1 out of 8 getting picked up. Everyone else was forced out the Navy. Seems like the retention rate is a little higher with the people that wash out in primary. Now if it's a medical issue but still qualified for other jobs such as SWO, it may be different.

Best thing is just don't fail out. So far I have learned the instructors and peers are willing to do a lot to help people get through. The people I personally know that have failed out mostly didn't put the effort in or seek the help that was available to them. Only exception is a few people get to the plane only to realize flying isn't for them. Nothing wrong with that and normally that occurs in IFS.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...So far I have learned the instructors and peers are willing to do a lot to help people get through. The people I personally know that have failed out mostly didn't put the effort in or seek the help that was available to them. Only exception is a few people get to the plane only to realize flying isn't for them. Nothing wrong with that and normally that occurs in IFS.
Absolutely agree...especially regarding what is highlighted in red.

:cool:

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Do you get placed in another area, like SWO?

We have 2 fallen angels in our squadron, for medical and family reasons, that are 1520s: Aviation Maintenance Duty Officers. It's not a bad gig, but not knowing your situation, work your ass off because the juice is worth the squeeze.

Otherwise, search "needs of the navy"...I was a former HT instructor. Let me know if you need anything.

exNavyOffRec

Wouldn't count on getting a redes if you fail out of flight school. When I was in API (May-June) the redes results were around 1 out of 8 getting picked up. Everyone else was forced out the Navy. Seems like the retention rate is a little higher with the people that wash out in primary. Now if it's a medical issue but still qualified for other jobs such as SWO, it may be different.

Best thing is just don't fail out. So far I have learned the instructors and peers are willing to do a lot to help people get through. The people I personally know that have failed out mostly didn't put the effort in or seek the help that was available to them. Only exception is a few people get to the plane only to realize flying isn't for them. Nothing wrong with that and normally that occurs in IFS.

+!

When I started as an OR we were told almost everyone that failed out of flight school would get to redes, then it started changing and when I left the guys that we had working at our NRD on their way out of the USN said it was about 1 out of 10 that were able to stay.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Totally ebbs and flows. Sometimes the Navy needs people in other places (SWO/intel/etc), sometimes it doesn't and you get shown the door (complete with a free college education). Having a good attitude helps a lot. if you want to stay in.

That being said, it's tough to get straight up kicked out once you get to the aircraft. You'd have to do something boneheaded outside of work (DUI) or just completely not give two shits about preparing. There are chances to redeem a bad flight or two and get back on track.

Cumulo Nimbus

You will go into redesignation pool and put together a package that goes to a board. Lately, almost everybody in redes has gotten what they wanted (including separation), but like others have said it ebbs and flows. Commissioning source does not have much of an influence on whether you redes or separate.

Some of the common designators are AMDO, SWO, FTS, IP

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Other communities do factor flight and nuke attrites into their accession numbers, so they'll expect to absorb a certain number per FY; usually not any more than that.

The Navy's loathe to separate USNA and ROTC ensigns rather than redes, because the goal is to recoup the money spent on them. During my tenure as an instructor, it was very rare attrites from those sources to be sent home, short of aggravating circumstances (arrested for poaching, for example). There were a couple of brief windows where even USNA kids who DOR'ed were being separated, but it was a rare occurrence.

WEGL12

VT-28
That being said, it's tough to get straight up kicked out once you get to the aircraft. You'd have to do something boneheaded outside of work (DUI) or just completely not give two shits about preparing. There are chances to redeem a bad flight or two and get back on track.

From my limited experience the people that washed out was because of not putting the time in or something stupid outside of flight school. I have met some people that failed several flights and still did fine and came out with a good NSS. So to the OP a few bad flights isn't the end of the world. Only person I have personally met that failed out due to flying, failed something like 12 or 14 flights including three check rides (the same check ride but he did it three times).

WEGL12

VT-28
Other communities do factor flight and nuke attrites into their accession numbers, so they'll expect to absorb a certain number per FY; usually not any more than that.

The Navy's loathe to separate USNA and ROTC ensigns rather than redes, because the goal is to recoup the money spent on them. During my tenure as an instructor, it was very rare attrites from those sources to be sent home, short of aggravating circumstances (arrested for poaching, for example). There were a couple of brief windows where even USNA kids who DOR'ed were being separated, but it was a rare occurrence.

Back in Jan to May timeline several USNA guys were separated when they failed out API. I was surprised (they were too) because the money they had invested in them. That was a bad time to be going to a redes board because you knew if you weren't the top package for that month you were likely out the Navy. But I knew failing out wasn't an option so I never worried about the redes numbers.

MGoBrew11

pilot
From my limited experience the people that washed out was because of not putting the time in or something stupid outside of flight school. I have met some people that failed several flights and still did fine and came out with a good NSS. So to the OP a few bad flights isn't the end of the world. Only person I have personally met that failed out due to flying, failed something like 12 or 14 flights including three check rides (the same check ride but he did it three times).

Ehhhh, I also know guys that failed 2 or 3 flights and attrited. It's more about where you fail in the syllabus and why you failed the flight. The whole flow in the MPTS explains it all. Basically, failing a check ride or downing a brief is much more serious than getting an unsat on C4101 or whatever.

To the OP: don't worry about it and just do your best. As was said before, IPs generally work very hard to get you to where you need to be. I failed two flights in flight school for doing two incredibly stupid things. I rebounded just fine.

WEGL12

VT-28
And that is about where you should stop. That comes straight from the Ensign quote on the list of 'things you never want to hear folks say', like a Chief saying "Watch this shit..."

Probably so, I will say I was just giving situations where I personally know the people not hearsay. I am sure there are all kinds of situations and a lot goes into making the decision to retain people or not.