• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weed Stocks and Security Clearance

androgino

Are active duty personnel legally allowed to buy and trade Canadian marijuana stocks? If so, how does this affect one's security clearance?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s a new one. Didn’t know there were such things. I don’t know what the book answer is, but my gut tells me that any business dealings involving a schedule 1 substance is bad both from a legal standpoint and from the optics of it.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Legally I don't think there's any problem unless you're actually buying and selling marijuana (which is specifically prohibited). For your clearance, the fact that it's a foreign holding will raise eyebrows first, but it probably won't help that it's a marijuana-related business. At best, it'll only complicate the process of getting cleared, which isn't easy at the best of times.

I'd steer clear if you're serious about having a security clearance for your job. Plenty of other ways to make money on the market.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the only way they'd even know about it is if you listed it on your SF-86 as a foreign business dealing. And even that's debatable...would anyone give a shit if you owned stock in Toyota or Samsung? They really care about if you own real estate overseas or have a non-US business partner or something similar that can be used to influence you.

CF5A

I am a retired RCAF pilot. Canadian weed stocks are volatile and the market does not even open until the summer, but I put 5K in to APH.TO and it has done over 230% in 6 months. I also own the ETF HMMJ.TO. That spreads the risk across the industry.

I hold a Canadian TSec clearance and no one cares where I invest my money. I do not use the product, but I also own many other stocks where I don't use the product. I just want a good return on my cash.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
In my experience there are no issues with TS level clearances and re-investigations with reasonable amounts of (vanilla) foreign stock holdings. If you think about it, those people are trying to find the next Edward Snowden or people who have "Fat Leonard" style skeletons in their closets that can be leveraged by a foreign power. Even if they ever look at a brokerage statement, they will be confused by the ".TO" written after the stock symbol, they will glance at the amount and see it is not a big deal, and move on.

Jared Kushner you are not.

As far as an investment, the trading fees can vary widely on different exchanges depending on your broker so just do your homework.