• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Visitors and Holidays at OCS

Jesse Varela

I'm reporting to OCS on October 9, and I was directed to this website to start finding out all of the details about what I'll be going through. I have no prior military experience, but it seems a lot of the information I need is already here. However, I didn't see anything about having visitors at some point during the course or what happens during the holidays. I'm sure there aren't really any exciting options for having anyone visit me during training, but I was just wondering what allowances there were for this, if any. Also, has anyone here gone through this course through the holidays or know someone who has? I'm just wondering mainly about Christmas. Do you just get the day off to relax or is there some kind of celebration?

Any input would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance!

VTFlyer

Just for an initial reply.....I'm pretty sure you can't have visitors during the course of OCS but during Christmas you will have a stand down period where you will get time off. I'm sure someone else can clarify further on the details.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
I will be at OCS this holiday season as well (30OCT class), and there was a discussion in the forum a week or two ago around this subject. I remember a few recent OCS graduates saying the holiday stand down lasted for a two week period that encompassed both Christmas and New Years, and while they didn't receive liberty for Thanksgiving the schedule was less rigorous than usual. That info is based solely on memory though, I am sure someone with recent experience or more accurate knowledge can give us additional specifics.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
In addition, regarding Thanksgiving, if you're there for it, it'll add an additional week to your training. It's also why there's no class starting on the 20th of November, and it's instead on the 27th.

As far as when the stand down is, my guess is 17 December (really after 1700 I believe on 16 Dec) until 31 December. There's a class scheduled currently to begin on 1 January, so that seems about right. Whether that class remains starting on 1 January is something I could definitely see changing. That said, the official answer is, "you'll find out when you get there." E.g. don't schedule any flights or make any plans.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I'm not sure if this is changed, but after a certain point in training, you can have visitors for specified hours on sundays. They have to stay in the Quarterdeck of Nimitz, but that's the only time. Some people in my class had their families up for a few hours or SO's as well once they got to that phase of training to be able to do that.

I would check w/ someone who's finished more recently, but i dont see why they'd stop doing that.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Pur the current OCR (as of June) You are allowed to have visitors on Sundays, and, as CUPike already pointed out, you have to remain on the quarterdeck of Nimtz. You have no privacy at all. If I recall correctly, you aren't allowed to have visitors on Sundays until you have completed RLP, much like the phone call privileges.

Jesse Varela

Pur the current OCR (as of June) You are allowed to have visitors on Sundays, and, as CUPike already pointed out, you have to remain on the quarterdeck of Nimtz. You have no privacy at all. If I recall correctly, you aren't allowed to have visitors on Sundays until you have completed RLP, much like the phone call privileges.

I see...and what is RLP?

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Room, Locker, and Personnel Inspection. One of the many evolutions you will go through

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Room, Locker, and Personnel Inspection. One of the many evolutions you will go through

My apologies, thanks for picking that one up. If you want to know what RLP is, have the most intimidating person you know ask you questions you barely know the answers to. Answer them while being as loud as humanly possible, while doing pushups, and having all of your belongings in your bedroom thrown at you.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
This was accurate when I was there (graduated in March). Also, regarding Christmas, yes you will get a two week holiday stand down provided they didn't change anything (so you never know). I had the pleasure of being in Newport for two weeks before coming home for two weeks and then going back to Newport. That was fun...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
My advice: Don't bring anyone to Nimitz on Sundays. Just get through those 8 weeks (or whatever) until you get off base liberty or leave for the holidays, then you'll get to see family. Do the phone calls on Sunday, letters when you can. Stay focused on spending the minimal amount of time in Newport by keeping 100% on your shit while there. It seems like an eternity while you're there, but it's short in the long scheme.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I read you get to go home for two weeks if your training overlaps Christmas.. Like BigJ was saying.. Man I wonder how many people never come back..

Jesse Varela

Thanks for the input everyone. It would be pretty sweet if we're allowed to come home for Christmas, but I wonder if it's smarter to just stay in Newport.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
We got two weeks off in Xmas, if I remember correctly. Our class was already Candi-Os so it made it much easier coming back to Newport. We also had to take leave (Negative leave) and that put us in the hole for a bit. Those that stayed behind had to still work, but it was not too bad. I drove home for Xmas.