USMC Wetting Down Tradition

Discussion in 'Marines (USMC)' started by kylekevin940, May 4, 2010.

1. kylekevin940

kylekevin940 PTBA Φ940

Hey everybody,

I tried searching for some info on this and can't find much. I keep coming up with stuff about Naval Wetting Down traditions but can't really find anything for the Marine side except that it's a party.

Basically, we're throwing a joint wetting down for the commissioning class of our NROTC program and we're trying to bring in some traditions (aside from throwing people in a body of water or physically "wetting" them down) to make it what it's supposed to be rather than just a party.

For the Navy there are several traditions such taking your commissioning certificate (a copy now days), making a cup out of it and toasting, or taking the gold lace used on the SDB's and soaking them in a pint glass of seawater to help make them look older so you don't look like such a newly commissioned officer, etc.

What kinds of traditions do the Marines have for newly commissioned 2ND LT's that we could integrate into this wetting down?

Thanks.

2. squeeze

squeeze Exchange Pilot Extraordinaire None

Blow half a month's raise on booze. Drink it with your friends. Do you need anything more?

3. Pags

Pags Well-Known Member None

Never heard of those traditions actually being used (except occasionally throwing someone into water), just what Squeeze said. Take your first month's increase in pay (or half or whatever, but don't get too cheap) and buy booze for all your friends.

4. squeeze

squeeze Exchange Pilot Extraordinaire None

Ya, I couldn't remember if it were half or the whole month's raise. Regardless, don't be cheap.

5. Pags

Pags Well-Known Member None

Depends on who you ask. If it's your wetting down and I'm invited, whole month's raise. If it's mine and I got some cool stuff I want to spend that money on, then half.

The key is to do it with all your buddies. Then you don't have to spend it all and you still get a crap load of booze. I know a guy who got margarita machines and a mariachi band for one of his.

6. BACONATOR

BACONATOR Well-Known Member None

Is this really a service-specific tradition? Step 1: Go to a popular watering hole, or host a private party. Step 2: Drink your face off.

7. SynixMan

SynixMan Every day I'm chop, chopperin... None

I saw one at the Fish House here where a bucket of (maybe ocean?) water was tossed on the two new Jay-Gees. It seemed they were not anticipating it, which made it pretty funny. Good stuff.

8. Renegade One

Renegade One Well-Known Member None

Pssst..."Naval" by definition includes Marines. As in Naval Aviator, Naval Academy, Naval hostpital...you get the idea.

9. torpedo0126

torpedo0126 Member

Off topic...I was corrected once that the Navy calls it 'wetting down' and the USMC calls it a 'wet down.' Just curious if that is true...

10. CommodoreMid

CommodoreMid Whateva! I do what I want! None

I think anyone who is that concerned over that terminology needs to remove the stick from their ass.

11. HueyCobra8151

HueyCobra8151 Well-Known Member None

I (a Marine) have always heard it called a 'wet down."

More importantly though, who the hell is out there "correcting people" for improperly using some made-up apparently strictly-enforced-service-specific lingo for a promotion party?

Bottom line: Don't invite that guy to your wet down...he sounds like a douche.

12. scoolbubba

scoolbubba Well-Known Member None

Or to your wetting down. Whichever.

13. johnny utah

johnny utah still bigger than hip-hop None

wet: adj. present tense. covered with liquid.

"I'm at the wet down, where the hell are you!?"

wetting: verb. past tense. to cover with liquid.

"he did thoroughly enjoy the wetting down"

If I were an English major, which I'm not, I'd say the Marines have it grammatically correct on this one. Anyone else shocked?

14. A4sForever

A4sForever INTERNET BULLY None

When 4-5 of you rent an entire 'club' in Olongapo for the event and the entire Ready-Room shows up ... and when the 'Joe'-in-charge goes flyin' across the stage spread-eagled and hits the light-dimmer switch at the moment of 'truth' ... and at the same moment, the band starts 'BOOMIN' ... and the girls start wigglin', squeezin', & dancin' ... you KNOW it's gonna' be a historic WESTPAC wetting down .... throw in some iced San Miguel, and you've got something.

Historic??? Yes, it was ... the EAST INN CLUB, Olongapo City, Philippines, sir ...

[​IMG]

It may not look like much on the outside ... but on the inside ??? OH, Momma !!!

15. yodaears

yodaears Member None

Pardon? What is your definition of what "it's suppose to be"? I have been to numerous wet/wetting downs and the only tradition I seem to remember is that I don't remember any of them.