• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF Mustache March

Renegade One

None
Some sort of USAF "tradition"? Never heard of it…anyone? Are mustaches normally "proscribed" by USAF regs, or "just not done" (even though authorized…), as with our Marine bros?

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/flig...-down-gauntlet-air-force-wide-mustache-march/
robin-olds.jpg

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
Robin Olds on his mustache..."It became the middle finger I couldn't raise in the PR photographs. The mustache became my silent last word in the verbal battles...with higher headquarters on rules, targets, and fighting the war."

I've grown one every march. Seems like it loses some meaning when "the man" now encourages it.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Staches are allowed year round, but Mustache March has a nice ring to it. Also, despite what us guys think, mustaches don't carry the same mystique and appeal they did years ago so doing it year round really doesn't help with the ladies. It's more like a molestache

Renegade One

None
...mustaches don't carry the same mystique and appeal they did years ago so doing it year round really doesn't help with the ladies...
So I guess "shaved heads" is the new attraction? Seems to be a growing trend…don't ask me why.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Also, despite what us guys think, mustaches don't carry the same mystique and appeal they did years ago so doing it year round really doesn't help with the ladies. It's more like a molestache
This. I scratch my head wondering why mustaches are considered more 'professional' than beards.

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
Didn't really answer my question: Authorized by regs or not? If "authorized', why only in March?
Well, the point is to see what you can get away with. AF regs allow males to have a "well groomed" mustache but no wider than your mouth and it mustn't overhang the upper lip. So, the wider the better and definitely over the lip for march.

Why only in march? I don't know. Growing the mustache was mainly a deployment thing. The story goes that Olds was left alone while deployed to Vietnam. When he returned home, he was ordered to shave. Maybe march was arbitrarily chosen for everyone that was not deployed. That's just a guess though.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I guess "shaved heads" is the new attraction? Seems to be a growing trend…don't ask me why.
Yes, but this is arguably an improvement. Guys like Vin Diesel and Bruce Willis made it cool, to the gratitude of every guy with male pattern baldness. They can now just Bic everything and look 10 years younger. I've run into several bald dudes who would look positively creepy, or at least Costanza-esque, otherwise.