• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Gaul

Uniforms at API

Hey everybody. I report to API in October of this year and I was curious about day to day uniforms at API? I always assumed it was khakis but in all the pix I've seen everyone is in bags.

Thanks,

Ryan Gaul ENS, USNR

JTurse

Hey Ryan--I'm also headed there, but late in August. My understanding is that we report in uniform of the day (I'm going to call ahead, but I think it would be whites and alternate khakis), and we'll be in khakis until we get issued flight gear, around the 3 week point.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You wear your khakis through most of API, until after the NAV test (if my memory is correct) then you switch to the bags, much more comfortable. I personally checked into API on a weekend, and did it in civilian attire, and I believe it was just khakis for checking in during the week. But it never hurts to call and find out.

OracleMSU

Civvy SNA Hopeful
What are some of the regulations about what uniforms to wear when? How do you know when to wear khakis instead of whites? Dress whites instead of blues? Can you wear any of your uniforms when you are not on duty? Does anyone do that? I don't live in a military town, so I don't get to see anyone walking around in uniform to know if it is done. Are the uniforms seasonal? Blues in the fall winter? Whites in the spring summer? A long question, but I have ALWAYS wondered but just forgot to ask. Also, how much can it cost to get a full dress blue uniform with all the regalia? I assume it is not given to you. How about chevrons (enlisted) or shoulder boards or stripes. How much does all that jazz cost?

Not exactly a question relating to aviation, but something I have been wanting to know.

And lastly, when do you learn all this. Read a book? Or do they tell you how it is done in OCS?

-----OracleMSU--------

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
What are some of the regulations about what uniforms to wear when? How do you know when to wear khakis instead of whites? Dress whites instead of blues? Can you wear any of your uniforms when you are not on duty? Does anyone do that? I don't live in a military town, so I don't get to see anyone walking around in uniform to know if it is done. Are the uniforms seasonal? Blues in the fall winter? Whites in the spring summer? A long question, but I have ALWAYS wondered but just forgot to ask. Also, how much can it cost to get a full dress blue uniform with all the regalia? I assume it is not given to you. How about chevrons (enlisted) or shoulder boards or stripes. How much does all that jazz cost?

Not exactly a question relating to aviation, but something I have been wanting to know.

And lastly, when do you learn all this. Read a book? Or do they tell you how it is done in OCS?
-----OracleMSU--------

Oracle, for some reason, the forum won't let me post a reply to your topic, will debug later... anyways, here is an answer to it:

Those are some pretty good questions. Let's see, you generally switch between whites and blues in October, but that is really dependent on where you are stationed, and the temperature and weather. Up north, they would be switching to the blues alot sooner than down south. Blues aren't the most comfortable clothing in the heat. In some places like Hawaii, they never change to blues, and you wear whites year round. My peacoat sat in the back of my closet for 3 whole years, then I had to go to Submarine School in Roton Groton, Connecticut, boy was it appreciated then. So yes, the uniforms are seasonal, blues fall, whites spring as you said, the Navy sets a switch over date as a whole, but the base commanders will modify the date based on their location.

Yes you can wear your uniform off duty (though technically you are ALWAYS on duty 24/7), but there are limitations on what uniforms you are allowed to wear in public. Mostly this affect the enlisted, they are not allowed to wear their dungarees off base, you can drive to and from work in them, stop and get gas, etc. but no shopping in the mall with them so to speak. Also, concerning the flight suits, each base has different rules on whether or not you can wear them off base.

I think you are talking about our Service Dress Blues, which is basically like a suit and a tie, with the rank on the cuff of the sleeves. The next uniform higher than that is the Dinner Dress Blues (I don't have a set of those, used for special, once in a blue moon occassions). I think it cost me around $300 for the whole SDBs, shirt, pants and coat, maybe a little less. The jazz as you put it doesn't cost that much, but ribbons can become a pain in the butt to maintain, I recommend scotch guarding them so they don't get stained (oil from your hands) from repeatedly taking them on and off your uniforms and handling them. I have 3 sets of ribbons ready, though honestly I haven't worn my khakis in 4 months, and all my uniforms are sitting in closet in the cleaning bags.

You learn most of this in OCS, when they teach you the proper care, maintenance, and most importantly the tricks on how to wear a uniform correctly. Ribbon, nametag, collar device placement, etc. Plus tricks to make the uniform fit and wear correctly. Not to mention the joy of shining shoes.

Hope that answers your questions.

For more information on what to wear and when, and the standards required, visit the Navy Uniform Regulations online:

http://www.persnet.navy.mil/cdrom/dev/cd/unireg/CHAPTER1.PDF

The JAG TV series aside, usually when you transfer (and check into a command) you wear your Service Dress Blues. With schools commands you usually just check in in your khakis. Some people actually wear their uniforms when traveling (on orders), though when you go overseas, in some cases it is prohibited for safety reasons.

When on leave, no you aren't required to wear your uniform. But on MAC flights you are required to wear your uniform (last I heard, though they tend to change their rules).

Khakis are your day to day work clothes, and is the usual uniform of the day when not wearing the bag. Summer whites are usually required during formal occassions....

Hope that helps.

OracleMSU

Civvy SNA Hopeful
Yeesh, that was alot to read. So basically, for officers, you can wear your uniform (based on uniform of the day and season and the like) whenever you want?

Also, I was reading about the commercial flight. Lets say you are on your one month leave, and you are flying to hawaii on Northwest, would you be required to wear your uniform, or did it say appropriate civilian attire OR appropriate unifrom of the day/season?

Also, I know movies are never always right. But let's take A Few Good Men for example. The JAGs went to Cuba in their whites, everyone else was in Khakis. Are Khakis and Whites interchangeable, or was it just because they were travelling and they had a choice?

-----OracleMSU--------

Kevincjr1

Officer Uniforms

Ok just a couple of questions that I truly need cleared up if anyone knows the answers. I have heard that after OCS you have to pay roughly $1300 for uniforms. This information was kind of a suprise to me because I was under the impression that our first issue of uniforms would be free and after that you would then have to pay. Could someone address this if possible. And if you do have to pay this fee for the uniforms, how do most officers find the means to pay this fee if they really don't have it.
Also I was wondering what are all of the different types of uniforms that officers wear and the purposes of them? Thanks in advance!
Kevin

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
You must mean Navy because Marine Uniforms are closer to $3k than $1300, and yes you have to buy them. You'll be making decent money but if money is an issue you will probably be approached, or given a class, by a navy federal rep who wants to give you a $5k loan at like 3% interest or something rediculously low like that. In TBS there were two loans available, both for $5k and both practially free money considering the interest rate. I took both loans. It takes money to make money so even if you don't need it, take it and invest it, especially now. I'll let a sailor answer your question about what type of uniforms there are.

stay motivated

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As far as "how" you pay it, chiplee covered most of it. Also, Abbott allows a payment plan. Abbott is a uniform maker and distributor. They make high quality stuff, but you also pay more for it. I only have one set of summer whites from them, and it was kind of a fiasco to get the blouse fitted correctly, and the last time I wore them when I was on shore patrol, my "boys" didn't quite have enough room. I think I've worn Summer Whites about 5 times (maybe) since starting flight school. The other thing that's kind of insidious about Abbott, based on talking w/ OCS buds, is that they come in and sell everyone all the little bits and pieces in OCS when, guess what, you don't really need all that stuff and it can be had cheaper in the exchange (albeit for lesser quality, mass produced uniforms).

And that goes, again, to how you pay for it. You don't actually need all those uniforms that they try to sell you. For example, I've worn my Dress Blues twice...ever. Once was for a funeral where I was the CACO rep, and the second time was an inspection in the HTs, which was just to check if you really had them. So of course, I had to put JG stripes on for that one case, and then put LT stripes on when I went on cruise, even though I never wore them. But I digress...

CNT (or the Abbott equivelent) khakis is the main thing you need. I'd go w/ one set of whites, at least for starters, and probably a dress blue jacket and shirt (which you probably will already have in OCS). Oh, and I'm guessing OCS guys have choker whites already, but I may be wrong about that. Those, I would also have. And even some of that stuff can be had after a month or two of paychecks. And whatever someone tells you, you DON'T need mess dress. If someone says otherwise, they're either Academy or trying to sell you something (those are usually for O-4s and above...and who wants to be confused for those guys
icon_smile_wink.gif
)

schmuckatelli

In OCS you don't really get a choice about which uniforms you get. They have a set package that you get which includes the most useless uniform ever, the winter working blues, which I have never, ever worn. When I did OCS you got 4 working khakis, 3 CNTs or poly-wools (your choice, or a combo of the two), 2 summer whites, 1 choker whites, 1 SDB, 1 winter working blue, the shoes that go with all of them, the world's ugliest purses if you're a girl, some PT gear, and a whole bunch of other stuff for MTTs (inspections at OCS). I think the Abbotts choker whites look nicer on the guys but the exchange uniforms are perfectly fine. Besides, who looks good in brown polyester anyway? Also, another thing to think about is that since Abbotts uses a different material it is hard to get replacement parts. If you go with the exchange and you get a stain on your pants you can just go to any exchange and get new pants and the material will match your shirt and you won't have to also get a new shirt.

As for paying it off you will get a uniform allowance which will cover some of your bill. If you buy a lot of extra crap during OCS for inspections then your bill will be higher. Both the exchange and Abbotts have payment plans. I bought my uniforms from the exchange and the program they had in place when I was at OCS was that they divided the amount you owed into 12 equal payments which you could pay over the course of a year, interest free. Of course you can also just pay it all off before you leave OCS which is what I did since I think I only owed $500.

Another tip for the girls: I don't know if it has changed since I was at OCS but if they issue you skirts you will need to buy pants at a later date (summer ****es, choker whites, SDBs) since you cannot wear skirts on the boat. Also you will need the approriate shoes that go with pants since you definitely do not want to be wearing heels on the boat.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How the heck did you drag up a post that is FOUR YEARS old?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once again the Wayback Machine strikes. 4 years old, is that a record?

and yes true believers, you knew it was coming...LOCKED.

Reactions: ben
Status
Not open for further replies.