• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S. Navy aircraft with 11 onboard crashes into ocean near Okinawa

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Latest news says eight have been rescued, brought on board the Reagan and seem in good shape. I hope all are recovered.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
News already making a point to say “C-2’s are really old.”

I really hate watching/reading media coverage about something I know a lot about (Naval Aviation) because seeing how much they fuck this up just reminds me that most all of their reporting is probably fucked up...

Glad to see they have found some survivors, hope they find the other three, in some form (preferably alive).

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
News already making a point to say “C-2’s are really old.”

I really hate watching/reading media coverage about something I know a lot about (Naval Aviation) because seeing how much they fuck this up just reminds me that most all of their reporting is probably fucked up...

Glad to see they have found some survivors, hope they find the other three, in some form (preferably alive).

The news folks are gonna shit when they find out we’re replacing the “really old” C-2 with the “dangerous and unreliable” V22. Especially when it’s going to be carrying them so often.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
But they are old, REALLY old. Without diving into the CV-22 replacement conversation, the material status of our warfighting tools is something that should get more attention.
I agree, we have really painted ourselves in a corner with maintenance, Manning, training and money. The true effects of sequestration are now starting to show in insidious ways.

As a (former?) P-3 bubba I get it, old planes are a beast to deal with, but they are adding commentary to a story that may be completely non-germane.

Hopefully they decide to focus on the actions of the crew and the SAR assets that ultimately saved lives. No way 8 (hopefully more) people make it out without the Aircrew in the back doing their job by the book and the pilots putting the plane in a survivable situation.

Rough couple of months in 7th Fleet...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Let's not do this here. Appropriate discussion for another thread.
Move it where you see fit, I’m not a Mod, don’t have that kinda juice.

I’ve never been much of a judge of what is apropo...but we tend to get more traction/attention immediately following a sad incident like this...and since the article directly referenced this accident I posted it here.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have the names been released yet?

No. Names are being held for the 72 hours after The “Duty Status Unknown” period. Allows the NOK to let their families and support networks know before the media onslaught.