• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transfer to Information Warfare

scubasteve38

I'm a brand new Ensign, currently in Pensacola for API, but I was thinking of going over to do Information Warfare. It seems like pretty coll stuff you get to do from what I've read. Anyway I was wondering if there is anybody on here who is in Information Warfare and could give me better insight.

phrogpilot73

I'm a brand new Ensign, currently in Pensacola for API, but I was thinking of going over to do Information Warfare. It seems like pretty coll stuff you get to do from what I've read. Anyway I was wondering if there is anybody on here who is in Information Warfare and could give me better insight.
PSW (Phrog'sShoeWife, aka my wife) is a member, and she lat moved from SWO to IW. She's currently underway, but I'll let her know about the thread. There's also another website you could join and talk to some IW officers (some lat movers) it's www.informationwarriors.net. Hope that helps.

Renegade One

None
I'm a brand new Ensign, currently in Pensacola for API, but I was thinking of going over to do Information Warfare. ...
Nobody's business but your own, of course...unless you'd care to share...but is there a backstory to you changing your originally-stated goal of flying P-8s or Seahawks? Best of luck either way it goes.

exNavyOffRec

An FYI, recently the majority of those that drop out (or don't have scores to continue on) of flight school are being sent home and put in the IRR, the number that are passing thru NRD's during the transition is significant compared to what it was a few years ago, the last ensign the we had come thru the NRD had 10? in his group that applied for redesignation and 7 came home.

scubasteve38

I'm currently in IFS right and while it's fun getting to fly, It sucks when your getting rushed too quickly learn how to fly the plane so you can solo it in a certain amount of time. Granted I've made improvements from the first flight until my flight before my checkride, but it has still been kind of a struggle. Some of these flights it's been tough to learn things because of the wind and turbulence. Like it's been tough to learn to land on my own because I've had to deal with a crosswind on most of my flights and needed help from my instructor. But I understand that it's a screening program, and your always not going to fly in good conditions. But I'm worried that if I'm struggling now and I try to go on to Primary it may be a whole heck of a lot worse and I don't want to waste the Navy's money. Plus I've been thinking about my future as well and what would benefit me more after the Navy. The stuff you learn in Information Warfare I believe can transfer over to a lot more opportunities in the civilian world then being a pilot, unless your dead set on becoming an airline pilot or working for UPS or FedEx and who knows how the industry is going to be after the 8 year commitment.I have a good amount of money saved up and if I keep saving up more money I can always go back and work on my PPL.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
I'm currently in IFS right and while it's fun getting to fly, It sucks when your getting rushed too quickly learn how to fly the plane so you can solo it in a certain amount of time. Granted I've made improvements from the first flight until my flight before my checkride, but it has still been kind of a struggle. Some of these flights it's been tough to learn things because of the wind and turbulence. Like it's been tough to learn to land on my own because I've had to deal with a crosswind on most of my flights and needed help from my instructor. But I understand that it's a screening program, and your always not going to fly in good conditions. But I'm worried that if I'm struggling now and I try to go on to Primary it may be a whole heck of a lot worse and I don't want to waste the Navy's money. Plus I've been thinking about my future as well and what would benefit me more after the Navy. The stuff you learn in Information Warfare I believe can transfer over to a lot more opportunities in the civilian world then being a pilot, unless your dead set on becoming an airline pilot or working for UPS or FedEx and who knows how the industry is going to be after the 8 year commitment.I have a good amount of money saved up and if I keep saving up more money I can always go back and work on my PPL.

As someone currently in Primary, I can say that you shouldn't allow your experience in NASC/API/IFS to determine whether or not you can succeed in the program. Had I thought that my API experience was a microcosm of my experience over the next ten years, I would have dropped in an instant. This is, I presume, the first time you've flown, so it shouldn't really come as a surprise that you're struggling with...flying. Like I said, Primary is a completely different beast, and they do a damn good job of making sure that you can fly. Plus, if you're interested in IW down the road, you'd likely be more competitive as a winged Naval Aviator with operational experience, than as someone who threw in the towel in IFS. Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking that being a pilot in the Navy only means you can be a pilot on the outside. You'll have experiences and skills that few, if any 30-somethings will have once you hit the job market post-Navy. Feel free to message me if you want a longer schpeel on sticking it out. But seriously, don't quit.

Renegade One

None
I'm currently in IFS right and while it's fun getting to fly, It sucks when your getting rushed too quickly learn how to fly the plane so you can solo it in a certain amount of time. Granted I've made improvements from the first flight until my flight before my checkride, but it has still been kind of a struggle. Some of these flights it's been tough to learn things because of the wind and turbulence. Like it's been tough to learn to land on my own because I've had to deal with a crosswind on most of my flights and needed help from my instructor. But I understand that it's a screening program, and your always not going to fly in good conditions. But I'm worried that if I'm struggling now and I try to go on to Primary it may be a whole heck of a lot worse and I don't want to waste the Navy's money.
Just one man's opinion…which may count for nothing. Let's assume the local flying conditions have been pretty much the same for everyone in your group. It is what it is.
PLEEZE don't worry about "wasting the Navy's money". There are LEGIONS of folks, most very senior to you, who are doing that better than you could ever dream. Do your best…get a little better every time…that's pretty much the only "Golden Path" you should concern yourself with in the "right now".

Plus I've been thinking about my future as well and what would benefit me more after the Navy. The stuff you learn in Information Warfare I believe can transfer over to a lot more opportunities in the civilian world then being a pilot, unless your dead set on becoming an airline pilot or working for UPS or FedEx and who knows how the industry is going to be after the 8 year commitment.

Again…one man's opinion. Some would consider your mind-set very "forward thinking", but I think it's getting in the way of "what you need and want to do TODAY"... and in the next year. I'd just recommend shortening your mental focal length a bit…dial your sights down…and deal with the wolves closest to your current sled. Yeah, that's the ticket...
OBTW…the whole airline/UPS/FEDEX thing does NOT suck. And they, together, do not fully define post-military flying opportunities. Too many to list to change your mind, but I have so many friends and former squadron/wing mates flying for law enforcement, local news "choppers", fire-fighting "Bambi Bucket" and "Borate Bombers", movie production, geographic and oceanographic survey, "fish finding" for the fishing industry, off-shore oil rig support, civilian ambulance, mountain rescue…and DHS/ICE stuff too numerous to mention. You get the idea.
The totality of the "ex-military Aviator" opportunities will ALWAYS be there...

I have a good amount of money saved up and if I keep saving up more money I can always go back and work on my PPL.

Okay, good for you.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
scubasteve38 - my guess is that most of your IFS CFIs are low time pilots that have only a couple of hundred flight hours and went right into instructing as their first flying gig. The IPs you have in the VTs will probably be much more experienced and much better instructors. Civilian flight training and military flight training are completely different animals.

I also think you will have a better shot at getting redesignated and staying on active duty if you gut it out and try to make it through flight training than if you quit now based on a limited IFS experience.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Dude, you've got like what, 15 hours when you solo? Keep at it, let the Navy tell you you aren't good enough. We are heavy on guys, and they're always looking to cut dudes wherever they can...don't make it any easier on them. Gut it out and it'll click, either now or when you relearn everything in the t6. Don't quit based on your IFS experience because that isn't the Navy you'll be flying for.

MasterBates

Agree with schoolbubba.

When you get to the real VTs, there will be guys with more hours in marshall than your CFIs have total.

Let the experienced NAVY/USMC/USCG instructors decide if you are wasting the Navy's time and money. Not some RiddleKid who is building hours to get to the regionals.

scubasteve38

Well I did my solo and I'm done with IFS. I had my checkride with one of the more senior instructors and I learned more from that guy in a day then I did from the other two instructors in a week. You guys convinced me to stick it out. But yeah your right scoolbubba just like OCS isn't the navy, IFS isn't either. But I will still look into Information Warfare down the road, cause I still think it's a good field to be in.

phrogpilot73

Well I did my solo and I'm done with IFS. I had my checkride with one of the more senior instructors and I learned more from that guy in a day then I did from the other two instructors in a week. You guys convinced me to stick it out. But yeah your right scoolbubba just like OCS isn't the navy, IFS isn't either. But I will still look into Information Warfare down the road, cause I still think it's a good field to be in.
There will be IPs throughout the career that you may not like/learn a whole shitload from. You are simply learning what NOT to do when you're in their position. Honestly, if you are interested in IW - your best bet is to kick ass in the fleet as an aviator - then apply for a lat move. Realistically, you may fall in love with flight once you hit the fleet/get more experience. I was too stressed to enjoy it when I was going through the VTs, but in the HTs I couldn't imagine doing anything else with my life.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But I will still look into Information Warfare down the road, cause I still think it's a good field to be in.
Let "down the road" stay down the road for now. Concentrate on the job on hand... learning to be a safe, professional Naval Aviator. Later on, other opportunities will be made available to you. Remember always, that there are literally hundreds of eligible souls out there who would love to be in your flight boots (and at least that many 'Snow Whites"' waiting to make your acquaintance)!;)
Snow White.jpg
BzB

Renegade One

None

Congrats. Always good to have a plan for an "offramp"…when and IF the need arises. Good for you.

You are simply learning what NOT to do when you're in their position.

Lots of good stuff in PP73's post…but the part I copied is so relevant to everything you will EVER experience…from unit section/division/PIC leadership, to the possibility of DH leadership, to command, to "higher things". Remember that...

Let "down the road" stay down the road for now. Concentrate on the job on hand... learning to be a safe, professional Naval Aviator. Later on, other opportunities will be made available to you. Remember always, that there are literally hundreds of eligible souls out there who would love to be in your flight boots ...!;)BzB

Shack.