• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

too late for PRK?

kaytr0n

A few weeks ago I switched my first choice for service selection from SWO to Pilot (about time, I know). I was able to switch out my 1/C Surface cruise this summer for an Aviation one, so in the meantime I'm rushing to get all this Medical and Physical stuff done.

My question(s): I wear glasses/contacts, and see perfectly with them on. One of my eyes is 20/40 and the other is 20/80, and I have a slight astigmatism. I heard that if I want to get surgery, it'd have to be at least 6 months before my pre-comm physical. Does this physical I'm going to get on the 28th count as the pre-comm?
Also...in addition to being a Midshipman, I'm also still a Dependant. Would I be able to qualify for getting the PRK for free somehow? Is there a huge waiting line for this?

I'm sure the folks at the hospital will be able to help me out too, but I'd like to know as soon as possible if I'll even have a chance to get picked up for Pilot/NFO.

SpiderUSMC

What I've been told both by my OSO and the Aviation Medicine crew down at MCAS Beaufort is the absolute minimum is 3 months. It depends on how bad your eyes were to start, but mostly on how fast you stabilize.

This was for OCC and for the Marines though. I have no clue how that applies to your specific situation but I believe those were regs they got from NOMI or someone like that (I'd hope).

Jeff29

Science Project
Check out the contact lens waiver.
I'm pretty sure that the minimum time from surgery to waiver submission is 3 months.

nublett

Been there, done that.
As for the time on the waiting list for PRK/Lasek, it totally depends on your local hospital. I was on the waiting list in San Antonio for >6mos. before they fessed that I'd never get it before my PRD. At Tripler AMC, I started the process a week ago, have my 2nd appointment today, have been advised that I can definately get it in the next 2-3 mos. No cost.