• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thinking of going officer in the Navy but...

Bam-bo

I have been on both sides of the fence on this subject, but I am not educated on the Navy or Air Force side of the officer world.

So let me start off by telling you a little bit about myself before I get into my questions. I am 23 years old and a LS3 in the Navy standing in active status. I am in my senior year of college, all have been through Navy T.A. I study computer science which I have a 3.5 GPA, I have earned two honor societies (One in general studies and the other in my technical field). Lastly, I have roughly 90 volunteered hours on my eval and a program manager as a 3rd class. (I was told that was good. I wouldn't know.)

My attentions were to just join the military and get my degree and be done, but it seems like something is wanting me to stay in. I have had a Air force officer recruiter talk to me while my time in community college. We even got to the point where I sat down with there commanding officer who also has a degree in computer science. Is it possible for me to go cross branches like that? My NCC says that it is not, if I wanted to go officer I would only be able to through the Navy. With that being said I have three officers at my command trying to encourage me either go STA-21 or OCS. One being a mustang LTJG and two CWO3s. I have never seen myself even joining the military but it seems like I am surrounded by people wanting me to make it a career. If I tried to go officer, I would want to be able to join as an information officer or an intelligence officer but I heard those are really hard to pick up. Is there anyway to see quotas of previous years of people being picked up? Is there any program to be picked up and go directly as a reserve officer? Also another thing to weigh in my opinion is I come from a incredibly poor family with a sick mother. This is my reason to go reserve so I can spend time with her.

Any information or input on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Especially, any previous officers or current ones. I do not know how officer life is at all. I came from a Seabee command where our only officers were our CO and XO which I never got to talk to or see much.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Is it possible for me to go cross branches like that? My NCC says that it is not, if I wanted to go officer I would only be able to through the Navy.

I don't know your personal situation (i.e. what kind obligations you might be under), but on its face the NCC's statement is incorrect.

exNavyOffRec

I have been on both sides of the fence on this subject, but I am not educated on the Navy or Air Force side of the officer world.

So let me start off by telling you a little bit about myself before I get into my questions. I am 23 years old and a LS3 in the Navy standing in active status. I am in my senior year of college, all have been through Navy T.A. I study computer science which I have a 3.5 GPA, I have earned two honor societies (One in general studies and the other in my technical field). Lastly, I have roughly 90 volunteered hours on my eval and a program manager as a 3rd class. (I was told that was good. I wouldn't know.)

My attentions were to just join the military and get my degree and be done, but it seems like something is wanting me to stay in. I have had a Air force officer recruiter talk to me while my time in community college. We even got to the point where I sat down with there commanding officer who also has a degree in computer science. Is it possible for me to go cross branches like that? My NCC says that it is not, if I wanted to go officer I would only be able to through the Navy. With that being said I have three officers at my command trying to encourage me either go STA-21 or OCS. One being a mustang LTJG and two CWO3s. I have never seen myself even joining the military but it seems like I am surrounded by people wanting me to make it a career. If I tried to go officer, I would want to be able to join as an information officer or an intelligence officer but I heard those are really hard to pick up. Is there anyway to see quotas of previous years of people being picked up? Is there any program to be picked up and go directly as a reserve officer? Also another thing to weigh in my opinion is I come from a incredibly poor family with a sick mother. This is my reason to go reserve so I can spend time with her.

Any information or input on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Especially, any previous officers or current ones. I do not know how officer life is at all. I came from a Seabee command where our only officers were our CO and XO which I never got to talk to or see much.

If you are currently AD you cannot directly go reserve officer, and that is a whole different ballgame, they look for people with experience in the field you are going into.

You have a high GPA in a desired field for IW/Intel/IP so I would say you should apply for them.

Your NCC is wrong, but it really depends on what the CO says, if he doesn't want to recommend you for a conditional release you are sunk, or if he thinks you are ready to be an officer same thing applies.

When I was recruiting the recruiter that recruited AF officers and I would talk at career fairs, some things she passed on to me on how they do things in the AF officer recruiting, aviation spots normally go to USAFA 1st, AFROTC 2nd, and OTS 3rd, but you aren't looking for aviation, the other thing he said is people that they get a large number of people via OTS that go to watch missiles

Bam-bo

I don't know your personal situation (i.e. what kind obligations you might be under), but on its face the NCC's statement is incorrect.

I was suppose to do four years, but since my PCS has sent me overseas the Navy has obliserved me another three years.

Bam-bo

If you are currently AD you cannot directly go reserve officer, and that is a whole different ballgame, they look for people with experience in the field you are going into.

You have a high GPA in a desired field for IW/Intel/IP so I would say you should apply for them.

Your NCC is wrong, but it really depends on what the CO says, if he doesn't want to recommend you for a conditional release you are sunk, or if he thinks you are ready to be an officer same thing applies.

When I was recruiting the recruiter that recruited AF officers and I would talk at career fairs, some things she passed on to me on how they do things in the AF officer recruiting, aviation spots normally go to USAFA 1st, AFROTC 2nd, and OTS 3rd, but you aren't looking for aviation, the other thing he said is people that they get a large number of people via OTS that go to watch missiles

So is there a program to go reserve officer after my time of enlistment is up? I was talking to my LTJG and he thinks there is but does not know the program.

Yeah, I am not a big fan of this NCC. He is harder then all hell to get a appointment with. Also is IW or IP the Navy's equivalent to the Air Force's cyber operation officer?

exNavyOffRec

So is there a program to go reserve officer after my time of enlistment is up? I was talking to my LTJG and he thinks there is but does not know the program.

Yeah, I am not a big fan of this NCC. He is harder then all hell to get a appointment with. Also is IW or IP the Navy's equivalent to the Air Force's cyber operation officer?

There is a program, but in nearly all cases you need to have substantial civilian experience in civilian intel jobs if going intel, or significant civilian experience in computers and many certifications if going IW or IP.

AF intel jobs =/= USN intel jobs. I would find and ask some IDC officers some questions, the Intel officers I knew would often say much of their time was spent taking information they had rec'd and putting into a brief, often powerpoint.